eBay buyers - idiots?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm afraid to click this link.

He had to give his side of the story to protect himself. If you knew it was in customs why did you open the case to being with? That's not what opening a case is for.

i knew it was with customs and was trying to get it released but what if the item was dmaged, then, can i claim insurance after the 45 protection period is over>
nothin wrong in giving his side of story but there was no need to esclate the case as i was hoping to get the item within a few days after the 45 days period was up

i knew it was with customs and was trying to get it released but what if the item was dmaged, then, can i claim insurance after the 45 protection period is over>

It's your obligation to go pick it up/pay dues to have it released so it gets to you before that deadline. :dunno

It's your obligation to go pick it up/pay dues to have it released so it gets to you before that deadline. :dunno

is that what u do when ur item is late i thought u said u opened a case when the period would be up with a message to the seller "("Please take no offense, I'm just covering my ass should it not arrive.")
it wasnt as if i wasnt trying on my part. i did the same thing u said u would do.

is that what u do when ur item is late i thought u said u opened a case when the period would be up with a message to the seller "("Please take no offense, I'm just covering my ass should it not arrive.")
it wasnt as if i wasnt trying on my part. i did the same thing u said u would do.

You don't do the same thing I do. I don't douchily leave a neutral feedback if the item gets tied up in customs because I chose to import it. I don't leave a neutral feedback if I open the case and ebay closes it after the seller does what they ask of him. If I filed a claim and the seller expedited it and ebay found in his favor, I'd eat it given I was the one who filed it. Especially now with ebay siding with buyers for stupid **** it makes sense he'd cover his ass by entering his proof of shipping ASAP. If he didn't, Paypal might've sided with you and he'd be ****ed for the item and the money. It's not the seller's fault. End of story.

You don't do the same thing I do. I don't douchily leave a neutral feedback if the item gets tied up in customs because I chose to import it. I don't leave a neutral feedback if I open the case and ebay closes it after the seller does what they ask of him. If I filed a claim and the seller expedited it and ebay found in his favor, I'd eat it given I was the one who filed it. Especially now with ebay siding with buyers for stupid **** it makes sense he'd cover his ass by entering his proof of shipping ASAP. If he didn't, Paypal might've sided with you and he'd be ****ed for the item and the money. It's not the seller's fault. End of story.
i thinks its best to end here,lol.
he did it to cover his ass, i did it to cover my ass, happy?

This thread turned out pretty funny. :lol

Welcome to selling on eBay! :hi5: :lol

Just wait until you start getting the entitlement-laced demands for refunds from unreasonable buyers. That's the real joy of selling on eBay :1-1:

:rotfl

Got this beauty earlier in the week.:slap

Hello my name is Jake im a big DC fan and i was wondering if you would sell a few of your figures???? if you want to make some fast cash????

- donniedarkofrankie

I had something like that happen to me one time. I sold a Dutch HT figure to someone living in Australia or the UK... can't remember.. I sold it through ebay and shipped it on time. I gave him the customs number, and after a few weeks he said it didn't arrive. He opened a dispute, I gave ebay the information I had... the customs number and the date of the mailing.

The only way you can protect yourself with international shipping is with a track-able signature confirmed mail service and insurance. Maybe eBay/Paypal will still screw you even if you have tracking (which is why you have insurance for the full amount+shipping cost), but if you don't have them then you won't have a leg to stand on if the buyer opens a claim against you since a customs number by itself is useless. If the buyer refuses to cover the extra cost then tell them to go to hell since that is a red flag they are planning to rip you off.

when I try to sell items that cost a lot, like hot toys, I try to get insurance for the item, you never know

used an auction once to sell one of my IM figures, didn't have any hassle but the wait is too long + you can't really predict for how much it will sell.

So it was a fixed price from then onwards, so much easier, my figures get bought on the day I put them up (I always list mine a quid or two cheaper than the cheapest brand new one).

Okay, so my item sold. And I sent it out priority mail within 3 days of the sale. The day after I sent it out I got an email from the buyer saying that he realized that he hadn't updated his home address and the address I had was his old one. He was hoping I hadn't shipped yet. I told him I had, and I got the impression that he was going to keep tabs on whoever lived at his old address. I got another email last week asking when the item should arrive - and I told him it should have been there 5 business days ago.

Today I got an email saying he got a notice that the package was "retuned to sender". Assuming he's telling the truth and this thing shows up back at my door, that means I'm going to have to pay for shipping all over again doesn't it. :mad:

Last edited:
Sounds like it but put the cost on him...............he was the one that gave you the wrong shipping info.

Most likely and all because of his ****-up.

Mags are you having your funds held being that you're a new seller on ebay?

^^^ Yeah, but I just got the funds a couple days ago - maybe 2 weeks after the sale.

I still dabble on ebay here and there, but not like I once did - in fact I have about 5k+ worth of games/statues/figures that I'd like to move, but I'm not going to list on ebay (likely the amazon marketplace instead) - between the retardedly high fees, flaky as hell buyers, and 2 bad selling experiences (selling a game, 30+ days go by, they want to return it cause it's "broken", I lose the claim and get game back, it had a fingerprint on it, cleaned it and it worked fine) and another instant negative (buyer said i sold a fake item, offered receipts from an authorized dealer, was willing to contact manufacturer, was told to "get lost liar") have put me off ebay for the most part.

Buyers can literally operate with basically no consequence. That's terrifying.

I would politely ask the buyer to pay for the shipping again considering that it was his fault he didn't update his information previously. If he refuses, I would refund him everything minus shipping, file the form with eBay to get your fees back, and relist.

I would politely ask the buyer to pay for the shipping again considering that it was his fault he didn't update his information previously. If he refuses, I would refund him everything minus shipping, file the form with eBay to get your fees back, and relist.

Sounds like a lot of work...

Buyers can literally operate with basically no consequence. That's terrifying.
Sadly true. Even if Mags does as I suggest, I suspect the buyer will act like it is Maglor's fault somehow, demanding to pay nothing extra and/or to get a full refund including shipping cost. Then, if he doesn't get it, will probably threaten negative feedback (which probably couldn't be removed) or a dispute (which he would probably somehow win).

In truth, I usually coddle buyers as much as necessary to avoid all that crap. I've even given ridiculous refunds well beyond what buyers warrant to avoid all the stupidity that the system has in place against sellers.

Sounds like a lot of work...
Well, the alternative is that you're gonna be out shipping cost twice because of a buyer's ineptitude. Sometimes that's the easier solution.

Back