Eagle vs Fellbeast Diorama

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks really good. Nice job. Looking forward to seeing the whole thing next week.

The Fell Beast is actually just the right shade of purple.

You know, Woodsy -- JUST LIKE IN THE MOVIE. :p

And, as Matt said above, the paint scheme is the first one that's completely congruent with the one in the Art of LOTR book.

Does it invalidate the Weta piece? No, as this isn't the same beast. The Weta beast has been dead for days by the time this scene occurred.

Now, this is going to be mine. It seems to have the best composition, best color scheme, best dynamics and best concept of all LOTR diorama pieces Sideshow have released on their own -- it's a statue Tolkien would have loved to own.

Here's hoping there's no exclusive, though, so I can save a bit. :D

The thing I really like about it is, its unique. It's not another Gandalf or Aragorn piece. I really like the look of the eagle.

Now, this is going to be mine. It seems to have the best composition, best color scheme, best dynamics and best concept of all LOTR diorama pieces Sideshow have released on their own -- it's a statue Tolkien would have loved to own.

So far they've nailed every Dio. I've had no issue with them so far. Right now I really really like the Saruman vs GTG Dio.

The Fell Beast is actually just the right shade of purple.

You know, Woodsy -- JUST LIKE IN THE MOVIE. :p

And, as Matt said above, the paint scheme is the first one that's completely congruent with the one in the Art of LOTR book.

Does it invalidate the Weta piece? No, as this isn't the same beast. The Weta beast has been dead for days by the time this scene occurred.

Here's hoping there's no exclusive, though, so I can save a bit. :D

All the dio's have been great so far, but this one is definitely the "flagship" piece so far. The eagle looks terrific and from what I can see of the FB it looks like there's some bluish specks on it which leads me to believe they have perhaps tried to capture the iridescent quality of the FB's scales, which accounted for the bluish or purplish look we often saw. If they could pull that off it would really put this piece over the top...if it isn't there already :monkey5

All the dio's have been great so far, but this one is definitely the "flagship" piece so far.
I dare say this will be the flagship dio for a long time to come, until they pull off something REALLY spectacular, like the complete Fellowship, or Gandalf vs the Balrog, or maybe Sam carrying Frodo up Mount Doom, all of which will be very challenging to design without sacrificing scale, I fear.

I dare say this will be the flagship dio for a long time to come, until they pull off something REALLY spectacular, like the complete Fellowship, or Gandalf vs the Balrog, or maybe Sam carrying Frodo up Mount Doom, all of which will be very challenging to design without sacrificing scale, I fear.

Very true! I don't know how SS is going to top this one, but you just know they're up for the challenge!

Dude, I'm not getting this if it's in the $349 area.

What's too much is too much.

I think it is going to be so now.... what really frightens me is that they are going to release an exclusive version which I don't know what else they are going to put in to make it so exclusive?? colour variant?

Somehow I got a feeling that the edition size for this will be small.... less than 500 perhaps only 450.

This will be as intricate and detailed, and likely as large, as the Legolas and Gimli on Arod statue, for example. They sold 5000 of those at $350 each.

Yeah, but let's not pray for the return of the late Weta edition sizes, okay?

I mean, those numbers ran their own company into the ground.

The newsletter mentions nothing about an exclusive version being released next Thursday, and we usually get a mention of it a week earlier; so getting this from a different source will be a prudent option, especially if you're outside the States. As for the cost, again, this seems to be more or less in scale with the Weta Fell Beast ($150), and the addition of the Eagle shouldn't increase the price more than twofold, even if you add inflation; you still have one packaging and one shipping cost, and Sideshow's vastly expanded operations in China to add into the mix.

And I fully agree this can be considered a flagship within the Sideshow-only sculpted pieces. Not only because of what it represents within the story and the level of detail -- all of the ones so far have represented scenes from the films competently enough. No, this is actually good sculpture as such; a piece of figurative art that you can be proud to own and show off to anybody, not just fellow collectors and LOTR fans.

That's a big deal. It took us a while to get there, but we are there. And, in fact, there are very few confrontational scenes left in all of the movies that could provide this level of timelessness and reach across the story point to capture something unique and primal, even if they're done this well.

Hats off, Sideshow.

And I fully agree this can be considered a flagship within the Sideshow-only sculpted pieces. Not only because of what it represents within the story and the level of detail -- all of the ones so far have represented scenes from the films competently enough. No, this is actually good sculpture as such; a piece of figurative art that you can be proud to own and show off to anybody, not just fellow collectors and LOTR fans.

I agree that this piece is one I will not mind showing off to friends and family but I'm not bothered by showing them the others as well. I'm quite happy with them and feel this is just another solid swing for SS in this line.

My prediction :

A $349 price tag with an ES between 1000 and 1500. No excl. [just like every other dio so far] and certainly no color variant :rolleyes:

It looks amazing. This may be the first post-Weta LOTR statue that I purchase. I'll start saving up now.

Same here, same here.

And okay, let it cost what it will. As long as the ES is reasonable (read: less than 1250), this thing will keep its value.

Now the question is -- to FlexPay or to e-tail?...

Back