DX02 residue in abdominal area, has yours shown signs of it?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has your DX02 shown signs of residue buildup in the abdominal area?

• Total voters
To be fair, there are some of us, myself included, with just a little oil that creeps up on the edges of the lower ab plates....and in these cases, I agree with Dave, I can live with it. Under normal viewing & display conditions, it's hardly noticeable.

However, there are many other owners, seemingly with figures from this second, newer batch, where the oil seepage is much more severe, and it extends to 3 or 4 of the plates and the padded outline of the armor plates, right out of the box. This is unacceptable on a $200 figure from a "deluxe" line and needs to be addressed by Hot Toys. I'm sure when they have an answer as to the cause, these owners will be dealt with fairly, as HT customer service has been mostly reliable in the past...plus, they have the integrity of their "DX" they have to be concerned with.

I don't have this figure yet but by observation of everyones posts and that video gives me an idea. It would seem that the substance is trapped in the suit behind the plates and those sections of the rubber (abs and arms) are overly saturated with moisture.
Has anyone tried using a hairdryer perhaps directing the airflow to the trouble spots for a period of time and see if drying out the rubber slighty will help?

Last edited:
I tried something that is a bit strange -similar to the hot air thing. I put my finger under the abs and press up, stretching the rubber and the oil disappears. As soon as the rubber relaxes it reappears.

I tried something that is a bit strange -similar to the hot air thing. I put my finger under the abs and press up, stretching the rubber and the oil disappears. As soon as the rubber relaxes it reappears.

I just tried that and found the same thing too, it's almost like, when you stretch it, the residue sinks back into the rubber, but when you let it back to tight against the figure, it comes to the surface again.

I'm sure this problem can be fixed, it's just a matter of figuring out the cause and taking the right preventative action.

Btw I have not cleaned mine for almost two weeks and I started last night again and it still returned on both bats.
Oh my woman took those oil sheets away from and gave some other ones that are "for men" :lol aparently this one has no powder. Turns out this one only absorbs oil and not even water so the residue on the suit is definetely not water based.
oilsheet.jpg

As for your new observation I would have expected it as the oil is able to freely move inside the rubber much like a shamy and this behaviour would too. Oh and I doublechcked and used it on other parts of the suit and ....nothing
BTW I have seen some minor residue on the arms under the shoulderpads as well (you see the stamping f it on the top left :p)

Last edited:
yeah this new stuff is pretty good for what I use it for as it more clearly shows the residue (the other sheets I used did not show this clearly at all so I never bothered taking a picture before :p)..... yeah I won't be using it on my face though that I am sure of
The residue today was not as bad as it was before but it aint dry thats for certain :(

ok since I just had both bats out for cleanup and my latest one they kinda started interacting
blade2v.jpg

Batman gets even and breaks into Hot Toys' headquarters in Hong Kong to repay them for giving him an oily stomach...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/6ZMhWZeWDrM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/6ZMhWZeWDrM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

im sorry guys , how can ANYONE be happy with this? Its not like your buying a cheap figure from some unknown company. Its a $200+ figure
produced by a major company. The weak responses from HT shows a lack of respect towards its fans. For those of you that have a "its not a big deal and ill live with it" attitude, this only further encourages HT not to do a thing about Batman DX and futures releases. Why should they if they see fans willing to buy high dollar figures with defects and then sit and do nothing.Im glad i didnt pull the trigger on this.

Posted this in the main thread but then I just saw this one.

This is what I'm doing for my oil problem for now.

I'm using Johnson & Johnson Oil Control Film

JJ.jpg

RighBicep.jpg

Oil under the right shoulder armor - don't know if its because the film turned transparent but on the film, the oil looked black when I dabbed it with a piece of the film, kinda like re-used fry oil used to deep fry chicken, fries etc.

LeftBicep.jpg

Oil under the left shoulder armor

Abs.jpg

2 pieces - one slipped under the suit, the other over the abs

Bubbles.jpg

A couple of bubbles started appearing in this region

Almost 24 hours since I had the oil film on, will check them again tomorrow.

As mentioned many times here I think most of us want the following:
- we need to know the source of the problem
- the impact on the long term durability of the figure
- and then a solution
Just washing it may only address the latter.

Ah that's what it is sold here as :p I think my woman picks this up in Asia cause its a lot cheaper? :p BTW something I should have tested but any oil trapped in the sheet under between the upper and lower body suit?
Cleaned my bats last night again. one of them (the worse one) is just as bad but the other seems to have less oil now?

that would be great from HT, geil. unfortunately, i think they have instead adopted the following strategy:
- tell the suckers to keep wiping
- stay quiet on problem until people forget
- announce DX03 for misdirection
- sit collectively in corner of office rocking on our knees with the blinds down until the nasty emails stop.

that would be great from HT, geil. unfortunately, i think they have instead adopted the following strategy:
- sit collectively in corner of office rocking on our knees with the blinds down until the nasty emails stop.

Well I have a bit more faith and their track record does show that they tend to provide the above but not necessarily in a timely manner though as it was with the batch 1 problem :p
I do believe investigating into this is just as tough or tougher than the DX02 paint peeling issue. For this problem they have did come through but just took them almost a month or more after it has surfaced. This residue issue did not really get anyones' attention until just recently so counting down from that time + CNY let's hope they will be again just as forthcoming with an explanation and a solution.
Besides us freaks here and the ones on FB do not forget :rotfl

When they do realize themselves how Bats is sweating oil, they will act on it, I'm convinced of that.

And i have to say i agree with you, i think this is exactly what is happening!

When they do realize themselves how Bats is sweating oil, they will act on it, I'm convinced of that.

as long as its cost-effective. i can imagine if it's a difficult problem to fix, they might continue with the "wipe it" defensive. there's no way they can recall them all. and the nature of the issue means no easy replacement (like they could with the connor head).

either way, i'm watching this one with great interest. tough one for HT to deal with and i'm intrigued as to how they eventually decide to act.

Just want to offer up a tip that I posted in the DX-02 thread. I got some makeup sponges and cut a thin sliver off of one, then placed it between the armor plates on his torso. You know, where the top armor overlaps the leg armor. It soaks up the oil and elevates the ab armor which helps the oil to not leak out, because it keeps pressure off the suit, which seems to be squeezing the oil out.

Give it a shot.

Back