Dune 2020

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a fan of Denis work thus far, and the photo above doesn't instil me with confidence, but hopefully it'll be good. Looking forward to a trailer.

Hang on they've gender-bended Liet Kynes? Why would they do that?

It's [current year]. He's a black woman now.

2019.07.29-09.11-boundingintocomics-5d3f60ede5fbe.png

That's really arbitrary. I just checked the cast list and it's the only character sex change, mind you it could have been Chani.

Chani is played by Zendaya (aka Michelle/MJ...whatever from MCU Spidey). And Liet-Kynes is Chani's father...errr...mother now...so it makes sense.

The character doesn't have a *huge* role in the original Dune...so the gender swap is fine.

Not a fan of Denis work thus far, and the photo above doesn't instil me with confidence, but hopefully it'll be good. Looking forward to a trailer.

I wasn't either until Blade Runner 2049.

That's an odd choice, to change Liet Kynes' gender...
While a secondary character, it made sense that he was a male in Herbert's Dune, since the Fremen are portrayed as a somewhat patriarchal society that respects and values women's roles and skills. Of course, the book was written ages ago, so the dynamics of gender and sex have changed, but still... The Bene Gesserit are a formidable force, and they are actually the ones controlling everything behind the scenes.
I mean, I'm trying to picture the scene where Kynes is checking Paul's stillsuit, and it doesn't seem to work quite the right way if Kynes is a woman. Oh well, I'm probably an old chauvinist! :lol

I agree most of his movies are rather bland, but BR 2049 is a definite exception.

There's an HBO series in the works about the Bene Gesserit titled 'The Sisterhood'.

Chalamet's character, Paul, thinks he's just a boy struggling to find a place in the world, but he actually possesses the ability to change it. He has a supernatural gift to harness and unleash energy, lead others, and meld with the heart of his new home world. Think Greta Thunberg, only she's a Jedi with a diploma from Hogwarts.

In an intriguing change to the source material, Villeneuve has also updated Dr. Liet Kynes, the leading ecologist on Arrakis and an independent power broker amid the various warring factions. Although always depicted as a white man, the character is now played by Sharon Duncan-Brewster (Rogue One), a black woman. "What Denis had stated to me was there was a lack of female characters in his cast, and he had always been very feminist, pro-women, and wanted to write the role for a woman," Duncan-Brewster says. "This human being manages to basically keep the peace amongst many people. Women are very good at that, so why can't Kynes be a woman? Why shouldn't Kynes be a woman?"

tenor.gif

Am I the only one hoping for a 4k release of the Lynch version to coincide with this?

Nope I want that one too. I read somewhere that there is a version being worked on to come out with one of the films being released in theaters. Hopefully will be a nice 4k scan and have a lot of supplemental info. Dune was a bit of a mess but I really like it. Movie does have a 40th anniversary coming up in 2024.

"In an intriguing change to the source material, Villeneuve has also updated Dr. Liet Kynes, the leading ecologist on Arrakis and an independent power broker amid the various warring factions. Although always depicted as a white man, the character is now played by Sharon Duncan-Brewster (Rogue One), a black woman. "What Denis had stated to me was there was a lack of female characters in his cast, and he had always been very feminist, pro-women, and wanted to write the role for a woman," Duncan-Brewster says. "This human being manages to basically keep the peace amongst many people. Women are very good at that, so why can't Kynes be a woman? Why shouldn't Kynes be a woman?"

I'm a little skeptical of Villeneuve's statement about lack of female characters.

Lady Jessica, Gaius Helen, Chani, Alia -- all strong characters with key roles. The Bene Gesserit order literally guides human civilization over the millennia.

Does it *matter* if they change Kynes? Not to me. Has a neutral effect on the narrative. I don't think it's 'intriguing' at all.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Adaptations of classic science fiction in general could use updates in places. I finally picked up Asimov's 'Foundation' and as of page 123 there are no female characters.

Agreed, don't know where Villeneuve is coming from with that statement... maybe he has an expanded role in mind for Kynes?

There's no colour, no imagination, the casting is more miss than hit and it looks like a drab "hot new" HBO show... Seriously now? "Greta as a Jedi with a Hogwarts Degree"? What kind of Metropolitan **** wrote that? I'll stick with the books and the Lynch version, thanks. However, there is one Dune game that's

giphy.gif

Spoiler Spoiler:

giphy.gif

PS: I don't see the problem with some media having no women in them. It's often a good sign...

tumblr_ozfhisnacF1qil6c9o2_500.gifv

I like the stillsuits! Very nice throw-back to the 1984 Dune but also modernizing a little bit. They look perfect.

So House Atreides' colors are actually black and green with a red hawk...so I'm forgiving for the black armor. It's hard to see in the House Atreides uniformed cast photo but it looks like there's some hints of green there. The hawk is clearly white and there's parts of the banner in the back that look like they could be green and black.

Still no mention of Feyd-Rautha...I'm getting the feeling that Villeneuve is blending that character into Bautista's Glossu Rabban and we'll see Rabban take on Paul at the end rather than what happens to him originally. Or maybe Feyd won't appear until "Dune 2020 Part 2"?

Eager to see more!

Back