Duckgoo's GG ROTJ Luke Custom vs. SS ROTJ Luke (pics)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckgoo

Super Freak
Reaction score
There were a lot of opinions in my previous post on which looked more like Mark Hamill as ROTJ Luke. I couldn't change the title of my last post, so I put up this new one to compare my GG ROTJ Luke custom vs. a SS ROTJ Luke figure. The SS figure has NOT been modified in any way, fresh out of the box.

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO RESPONDED TO MY LAST THREAD!!!

I appreciate everyone who left me a response regardless of whether you liked it or not. Constructive criticism is welcome.

Please see my previous post for history:
https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19036

Here's a reference pic of Mark Hamill as ROTJ Luke:

luke20.jpg

Here's some shots of my GG Luke custom vs. the SS Luke figure:

Luke21.jpg

luke25.jpg

luke22.jpg

luke23.jpg

luke24.jpg

Which one do you like better?

I say Sideshow's Luke head sculpt is better than the GG. The GG sculpt's jaw is line is off, makes the head look too wide...

I think a mix of both would be an extremely accurate sculpt. But as it stands, I would have to say the SS sculpt is more accurate, but I can't quite place my finger on it. Nevertheless, your custom is impressive...

I like the custom. Sideshow's likness is superb but what always bothered me about it was that the expression looks worried. Looks like luke when he's being taunted by Vader close to the end of the ROTJ duel. If I was given a choice to purchase one or the other I would have to go with Duckoo's.

If Sideshow had chosen the expression from your reference pic, their sculpt would have been gold.

We had this discussion didn't we? I mean, for sculpt it's GG vs SS, you made some improvements neck down, but neck up is still GG vs SS, and I swing SS for it.

i may have bought the SST figure if it looked like your custom... again, great work!

I think that for a true comparison to eb made then you'd have to pose them the same (ie. both wearing Robe with saber) but I'm gonna have to go with Sideshow's sculpt.

The look, whilst coming in initially for a lot of flack, is one that Hamill has throughout most of the movie.

Sculplt wise, Sideshow nailed it, rather they would of gone for a different expression though.

I like your custom better.
I might think about getting one of those GG busts. What did you have to do to get that head on the SS body?

It's a nice custom. Better than something I could do myself I know that. SS Luke is better IMO overall though.

All I'm getting for pics is the dreaded red "x".....is anyone else getting this or is it just my work computer? :confused:

For me, I just couldn't deal with Sideshow Luke's bulging eyes and open mouth sculpt. It looks like someone punched him in the gut.

Sideshow Luke's expression ruins the sculpt for me. The head is also too big for the body.

This was one of Sidesow's first Star Wars figures, and they have gotten progressively better with each one.

Now here's an interesting question, if both of these figures were offered by Sideshow (Gentle Giant not in the picture) for the same money without the cathode lightsaber of course, which one would you have brought?

Duckgoo said:
For me, I just couldn't deal with Sideshow Luke's bulging eyes and open mouth sculpt. It looks like someone punched him in the gut.

I don't see how you can say that you don't like the Luke sculpt from SS then post a reference photo of Luke looking exactly like the sculpt (lower left pic). :confused:

sideshow nailed the sculpt dead on imo. i also dig the celebration iv figure more than the gg mini-bust. i dig your custom and the body you used but i think the nod has to go to ss for a more accurate luke/mark hamill. and i would still buy the ss version if both were offered (then switch the gear and head to a new body). i'm not a fan of the ss body but i dig the sideshow headsculpt.

Last edited:
I like it when I see anybody making customs of any kind... and this is a nicely put together one, but I have to say that the Sideshow sculpt is spot on (and I usually don't find that many of theirs are) but this Luke one is on the mark.

The only thing that takes away from it, is not the open mouth which is fine... its just the paint apps on the eyes, and the eyebrow shape.

A minor repaint on the eyeballs and eyebrows and you get a spot on Mark Hamill. Can't be bettered.

For the the GG sculpt is a nice sculpt... but I don't know who the hell it's suppose to be.

Back