Dream Concept - DISTRICT 9

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a huge District 9 fan, but these things caught my eye, so I went ahead and ordered one.

_DSC0002.jpg

The box is very minimal - no art, just a paper band around it with the Dream Concepts logo and "Dack Side Heroes" tagline.
Opening the box and we see something we in 1/6 haven't seen in a while - twisty ties. The figure was secured to a cardboard insert with the ties and it's head wasn't on.

Under the insert were plastic bags with the head, an extra set of hands, the gun and the catfood. No instructions, but they aren't really needed. One of the legs had come unplugged at the knee on mine, but it snapped back into place with no problem.

_DSC0005.jpg

The head snaps on securely and when you twist the head, the eyes move. Kind of a "toy" thing - but I love it. It really gives the figure life.

_DSC0006.jpg

Surprisingly this thing stands pretty well without a stand. I'll use one because falling could damage it, although it seems pretty sturdy despite the fact that the plastic used in the body seems a little lighter than expected.

_DSC0009.jpg

Beware of the little capsules on the gun, in putting the gun in his hand one of them came loose. Luckily it didn't break off, but just came separated from the hole where it had been glued.

_DSC0011.jpg

The paint is really, really well done. I don't know that the aliens were this bright a green in the movie, but the detailing is excellent.

_DSC0012.jpg

The catfood can is really well done too, good printing and looks like a steel can.

_DSC0013.jpg

The hands change really well and the second set hold the gun easily. I had a problem figuring which side each went on, but that's because the 3 fingered hands aren't easily identifiable as "left" or "right."

_DSC0015.jpg

_DSC0019.jpg

For $250 this thing is an incredible value in this day of $240 X-Wing pilots and $300 Vaders. I only wish the paint was a bit more muted and that he had the clothes that Christopher wore during the movie. But otherwise it's an excellent and very professional figure.

After discovering this thread and going through their Facebook, I think Dream Concept might be a company to watch out for in the future. They might be tiny now, but everything they make seems to push the envelope in some way.

Nice review and nice pictures Dave!
I ordered the green Alien as well and actually had the same problems when he arrived ( the right calf leg piece popped off and the front nib on the assault rifle had come off ). Easily fixed, no damage.
I thought it was very well done and the soft plastic detail pieces ( the spines on the elbows, face tendrils and the rifle nibs ) were great choices to prevent breakage.
The sculpting is fantastic and a really great representation of the alien prawn from District 9. The same critique would be my paint apps are a little dark, but well done.
I wish the eyes were a little more aligned when he looks forward.
I agree with you that for an unlicensed, 1/6 scale figure, in these days of $250-$300 Iron Men or Hot Toys figures, it's a excellent buy. And since no one is doing D9 figures, the only way to get this figure.
The packaging is kind of low tech and had a home made feeling to it. I would call the box it came in just a shoe box, not that I need a high-tech, super designed packaging.
The nicely designed t-shirt was a exclusive gift and pleasant surprise.
I have the orange Alien on order and hopefully it will ship at the end of the month.
I am looking for more D9 figures from them, especially the Exo-suit.

Man this thing looks amazing, just sent e-mail inquiring about one. I just can't decide on the colour now, they all look brilliant!

whats the email?

which one looks the main prawn that teams with vickus? the yellowish one yeah? havent seen movie in awhile...

No worries.
Let us know how you get on.
I liked the movie but always thought it was very sad. Imagine the same movie but with the roles reversed... Humans landing on another planet and being treated that way. It's an horrific movie!

will do! yeah is sad, is why i loved the scenes where vickus and the main prawn work together like when they storm that building(been awhile since i seen it sorry for lack of details)

These fookin prawns look great!

agreed!:clap

hey MwNN could you take pictures of the figure in more natural lighting? Would you say the figure looks like the video showing eye articulation or more like Dave's photos in hand?

I will try and snap some pictures when I get a chance and the weather is a better in So Cal.

The eye movement doesn't click in increments like what is heard on the video. It is a smooth synchronized left to right rolling eye. I couldn't get the eyes to look up and down like in the video. So maybe that function didn't make the production model. I'm really happy to have such an impressive figure from District 9 of this quality. I am looking forward to more figures from them!

I think the Alien "B" figure from Dream Concepts Collectibles color scheme is closer to Christopher Johnson's than the others paint colors. Although CJ's colors were more muted and lighter in color.

Here is the ordering info I used:

Alex Wu at [email protected]

or their FB page https://www.facebook.com/DreamsConceptCollectible

If you liked District 9, then you'll love this figure! At this point in this point in time, it's the only way to get your own Prawn!

I will try and snap some pictures when I get a chance and the weather is a better in So Cal.

The eye movement doesn't click in increments like what is heard on the video. It is a smooth synchronized left to right rolling eye. I couldn't get the eyes to look up and down like in the video. So maybe that function didn't make the production model. I'm really happy to have such an impressive figure from District 9 of this quality. I am looking forward to more figures from them!

I think the Alien "B" figure from Dream Concepts Collectibles color scheme is closer to Christopher Johnson's than the others paint colors. Although CJ's colors were more muted and lighter in color.

Here is the ordering info I used:

Alex Wu at [email protected]

or their FB page https://www.facebook.com/DreamsConceptCollectible

If you liked District 9, then you'll love this figure! At this point in this point in time, it's the only way to get your own Prawn!

I bought the green one because I thought it was closer to CJ's coloring, but looking at movie stills more closely, perhaps "C" is more like him.

My Prawn 'B' just arrived in Canada! They did are great job on him, needs at bit of work weathering and to sort some clothing.
The articulation is really nice and the scale is great against human figures.

Back