Dragonball: The Live Action Movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Combining DB and DBZ is a disaster in the making. I really hate it when Hollywood rush things and leave out the good stuff.

Combining DB and DBZ is a disaster in the making. I really hate it when Hollywood rush things and leave out the good stuff.

From what I have read it is not going to be a combination of Dragon Ball and Dragonball Z, it will be straight Dragonball. From what I have heard it will be a combination of the Piccolo Daimaoh Saga when Son Goku was in his early teens and the Ma, Jr Saga when Goku was in his mid to late teens.
Here is what I read -
Piccolo will be trying to track down the Dragon Balls with the help of Pilaf and his henchmen ala the Piccolo Daimoah Saga. The good guys will be trying their best to track down the Dragon Balls first to prevent Piccolo from gaining the Dragon Balls and taking over the Earth.
The only difference is that instead of Tenshinhan, Chaozu and Kamesennin being the 3 heroes trying to stop Piccolo the list will now include Son Goku, an older Goku at that. The look they are going for with Goku being this young has to be the end of the series when Goku was in his late teens and he defeated Ma,Jr (Piccolo) for the last time at the Tenkaichi Budokai.
Personnally if they are going to do a Dragon Ball movie this would be the Saga to do considering the top villain for the entire series of Dragon Ball is also the main villain, Piccolo. The only difference is they changed the age of Goku and had him at the forefront of the fight, not just show up at the end and save the world. The only problem I will have is if they call this Dragon Ball and have Goku go Super Saiya-jin in the movie. That would be crazy.

I read somewhere a while ago that there would be a trilogy. The first film being Dragon
Ball with Younger Goku in a Piccolo Sage style movie, the second being a Dragon Ball Z with Vegeta coming to earth something along the lines of Saiyan Prince and the third being the Freiza saga. I'd be happy with that myself.

DBZ could never itself be translated directly into film....the sagas last so long with so much in them building that they'd be nine hour films....I'm worried about this one but am willing to withhold judgment until I see a trailer or two.

I will predict that this will suck! But I also predict that I will see it when it comes out :lecture

Yeah I don't have big expectations for it but I LOVE Dragon Ball so I will certainly see it. If they make a trilogy that would be great! We'll see how it goes.

If anything comes out of this I hope it brings DB's popularity back to the forefront and maybe we'll get a new series after this all...or perhaps a "re-imagining" of DB,DBZ,DBGT.

What i'd like to see is Dragonball Z with 3D animation like the new clone wars series.

DBZ could never itself be translated directly into film....the sagas last so long with so much in them building that they'd be nine hour films....I'm worried about this one but am willing to withhold judgment until I see a trailer or two.

I disagree... they dragged out those plots and fights so long it was ridiculous at times! They could easily be condensed down into a movie without losing a thing! IMO... :lol

The anime HAD to drag the Sagas out so long with filler stuff because the mangas covered it all almost TOO quick to fill a usual 26 Japanese Episode "Season". The movies would cut the fat and get to everything quickly.

Yes they were certainly "too long", but that's how it had to go for TV. But sometimes it's worth it. I'm all hyped again on DBZ I bought all the Season sets and re-watching them is some fond memories. I'm on the Frieza Saga right now but waiting for Goku to finally arrive on Namek during the Ginyu Saga was all the much sweeter when he finally did...because it took SOOOOO long and built your excitement and eagerness that when he finally got there I swear I was giddy like a school-girl. It was WORTH the wait.

The anime HAD to drag the Sagas out so long with filler stuff because the mangas covered it all almost TOO quick to fill a usual 26 Japanese Episode "Season". The movies would cut the fat and get to everything quickly.

Yes they were certainly "too long", but that's how it had to go for TV. But sometimes it's worth it. I'm all hyped again on DBZ I bought all the Season sets and re-watching them is some fond memories. I'm on the Frieza Saga right now but waiting for Goku to finally arrive on Namek during the Ginyu Saga was all the much sweeter when he finally did...because it took SOOOOO long and built your excitement and eagerness that when he finally got there I swear I was giddy like a school-girl. It was WORTH the wait.

I really have to get the season sets. I never got to see the ending of the Majin Buu saga and everything that came after it. Cartoon Network moved it from late night back to early afternoon and I just never got around to finishing it! I feel so unworthy... :monkey2

...but at least I've still got several episodes to look forward to watching for the very first time!!! :rock

The end of DBZ was kind of anti-climatic after the Buu saga but all in all its still amongst my favorite animes.

The end of DBZ was kind of anti-climatic after the Buu saga but all in all its still amongst my favorite animes.

But see, that wasn't the end because Dragonball GT started up almost immediately if I remember correctly. The original run of DBZ had the preview for GT at the very end of the last DBZ episode.

lcummins, I agree with you 100%. If they did this the same way they did Ex Machina it would look amazing.
I also agree with you that if you took a room full of Dragonball fans, a six pack of beer, a pencil and pad of paper you could crank out a movie based on one Saga, in this case the Piccolo Daimaoh Saga, that would be 2 hours or less but include all of the best aspects of the Saga. They do it in Japan all the time.
There are plenty of series that do an hour and a half to two hour movie that is based on a fraction of the series but include all the major events. Just look a the Fist of the Northstar movie from 1986. It is less than 2 hours but includes most of the best parts of the first half of the series.
I agree that this film might be horrible, but making a great movie based on Dragon Ball, in my opinion, can be done.

But see, that wasn't the end because Dragonball GT started up almost immediately if I remember correctly. The original run of DBZ had the preview for GT at the very end of the last DBZ episode.

lcummins, I agree with you 100%. If they did this the same way they did Ex Machina it would look amazing.
I also agree with you that if you took a room full of Dragonball fans, a six pack of beer, a pencil and pad of paper you could crank out a movie based on one Saga, in this case the Piccolo Daimaoh Saga, that would be 2 hours or less but include all of the best aspects of the Saga. They do it in Japan all the time.
There are plenty of series that do an hour and a half to two hour movie that is based on a fraction of the series but include all the major events. Just look a the Fist of the Northstar movie from 1986. It is less than 2 hours but includes most of the best parts of the first half of the series.
I agree that this film might be horrible, but making a great movie based on Dragon Ball, in my opinion, can be done.

They made two movies out of each season of GITS:SAC, but I'm not sure how that condensed it that much... there was a lot in each episode! :google

Here is the weird thing about Dragonball: Grand Tour.....Akira Toriyama had very little to do with the series. He designed the character looks including the Super Saiyan 4 designs and set off the premises to be like the original Dragonball where it is comedic in tone. They starting working on it towards the end of DBZ but then he dropped out I believe harboring creative differences. I know he said he wasn't happy about the Business Man Gohan and depowered Goten..... Many hardcore DBZ fans don't even consider it part of the series in a weird Expanded Universe type of deal.....

Bardoon, where did you get the Season sets? I used to watch them all straight from Japan so I didnt understand everything that was going on. There was no english dub in those days lol.

Bardoon, where did you get the Season sets? I used to watch them all straight from Japan so I didnt understand everything that was going on. There was no english dub in those days lol.

Best Buy carries them... also try Right Stuf

Here is the weird thing about Dragonball: Grand Tour.....Akira Toriyama had very little to do with the series. He designed the character looks including the Super Saiyan 4 designs and set off the premises to be like the original Dragonball where it is comedic in tone. They starting working on it towards the end of DBZ but then he dropped out I believe harboring creative differences. I know he said he wasn't happy about the Business Man Gohan and depowered Goten..... Many hardcore DBZ fans don't even consider it part of the series in a weird Expanded Universe type of deal.....

I am one of those fans who don't consider DBGT as connon because Toriyama really had very little to do with the series. I believe his bad experience with Bandai on DBGT is one of the reasons he is tentative to do anymore Dragon Ball stuff.
Plus, if you look at DBZ as a whole, the series should have ended at the death of Frieza. Toriyama went wild with the Cell Saga, tried to change the focus of the series with Gohan as the star in Great Saiya Man and ended the series with his stamp when Son Goku flew off with Uub at the one and only Tenkaichi Budokai in DBZ.
DBGT has its good and bad parts but if they let Toriyama has his way it probably would have been very different.

Back