Dr Who 1/6 Sontoran build

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LordRagnar

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello all, ok I am making a 1/6 modern Doctor Who Sontoran Alien. I just love the look of these little potato dwarfs(the 11th Doctors term)! So enough talk, lets make one! First off I am starting with a Hot Toys Batman Returns body (blasphemy!), its got the right look and muscle build. Onto that I will be grafting various parts of armor from predator, snake eyes, and some custom made pieces. To top it off Ill have to sculpt a head for it too, which shouldnt be to difficult due to the alien's unique facial qualities, but I am NOT a great face sculpter so please bear with me and don't go to hard on me. With that said lets dive in! First up is some pics of the rough in for the head

Now I am gonna start roughing in the major facial features , please keep in mind this is my first sculpting attempt at flesh, much less a face, so I am learning as I do this

Ok now I am gonna refine and balance the face a bit mor, hes a bit lopsided and not quite true to the anatomy of the show

Ok now the fun part, Im going to start the armor, I have on the way the Snake eyes retaliation upper armor, which will top the chest and shoulders off nicely, Im experimenting with different parts to so nothing is set in stone yet. The collar is made from a piece of plumboing that I cut and then notched, then used thin sheet styrene to make the symbol. The helmet is a clear bubble thing I found at a craft store, I had to build up the eyes and lengthen it then smooth it all out with putty, its still in progress, but starting to look the part

Thanks Cap! This is one of my fav TV shows and this lil bugger has to be one of my fav characters so this is a labor of love, more updates and pics coming soon, I cant wait to get stuck into painting this beast!

Thanks guys! Yes I tried a couple of episodes and got totally hooked, and now my girlfriend is too so its a great thing for both of us to nerd out to, I now see what all the hype about this show is about, its just brilliant!
Kobukiman50 I am using milliput superfine, I like two part apoxie bc of its lack of need to bake, and it gives me a lot of working time, it also reacts to water very well, so I smooth it out using a wet fine paintbrush at the end. By fine I mean like a sable or red sable brush, the actual brush shape I use is a wide flat brush. The armor is going splendidly now, Ill put some more pics up soon, Im gonna start painting the head soon to so we will have some more interesting pics coming.

Thanks again Cap! Elar thank you too! I have sculpted a bit before but this is my first major face sculpt, the character does make it rather easy with his squashed and exxageratted features, but thank you very much. Thanks again for all the support guys, more pics coming soon!

Same here. I look forward to your finished work. I grew up watching Tom Baker as Dr. Who and loved the Sontorans.

Looks great Hoyt! I'm starting to get back into the show again myself, I didnt like the change over from Tennant so I've sort of skipped Matt Smith's seasons :lol

Thanks Jack! Thanks Edstuf and Sikitar! Aw dude Matt smith is a great doctor! Hes a bit darker with some humor added, check out the 50th anniverserry show with both tenant and smith! its effing awesome! just came out like last week, And thanks guys for all the great comments, Im still waiting on some of the major armor pieces to come in and Ive got quite a bit of sculpting to do on the armor/bodysuit, just thought I would throw some pics up of where im starting with the body. Its basically a Hot Toys batman returns body, some snake eyes body armor parts(still waiting on my snake eyes upper chest armor and shoulder pads). A few predator parts, and some Nolan hands. Just started the painting on the head so hopefully Ill have some good pics of that potato soon!

Oh and Tom baker makes a guest appearance in the 50th anniversary episode too! once again, such a great episode.

You've got a really good eye for the parts you need. This is coming together quickly!

Thanks edstuff! Yeah Im waiting on the snake eyes upper armor, ill have to enhance the size and sculpt of the shoulder pads but it will do nicely, and also waiting for the snake eyes forearm armor to arrive. I still need to sculpt the organic looking belt around the midsection, Ill use milliput superfine white for that as well since it sticks to just about anything. Im very positive about painting the body suit to, the rubber they haveused for this batman seems to be of the non sticky variety and from some of my experiments it will take and hold acrylic paint very well. Ill be airbrushing the main blues and greys so I think it will come out pretty decent. As soon as I get the upper armor I can start mounting the coller and head. As I said befor I started painting the head so I should have some more exciting and cool pics soon.

Thank you guys so much for the positive feedback, It really motivates me, and any ideas anyone has please share, I am always open to suggestions!

It's cool you get to start with a base color of black too. I'm going just by memory here but his armor is pretty darn dark isn't it? You could air brush the blues and greys and that might do it. Am I right or do I need to google search him?

No your right! I basically just need to airbrush the blues and greys and purples over the black, letting the black show through and provide some shading. And all the modded or scratchbuilt armor parts will be basecoated black then airbrushed. Well I started painting the face, thought I would throw some pics up

So for the base coat Im using games workshop acrylics, sponged on over a black undercoat. Im going for a mottled look to the skin, this is just the first step

Next step is adding a bit of depth and blending the colors together by using some washes(games workshop again), After these I will brush the final highlights and paint the details like teeth and eyes, but that will have to wait until tomarow

Back