1/6 Double release; HT’s future?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgmartinez

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Is this double release (Spidey and mk6) a sign of we can expect from HT in the next months?
I mean they have more and more figures to develop every year, so many licenses, and they need to keep on pace releasing (now Infinity War so close, with Black Panther movie solo there, Justice League pending releases, Jack Sparrow’s etc...
Could this mean the next step in HT collecting is a few month wait for future figures instead of a year or more?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

No, I think they just happened to finish their production runs at a similar time. Likely pushing to wrap up some stuff before Chinese new year.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I think its both of the above

On one hand it could merely be a coincidence that both figures happened to finish production around now and/or it could be Hot Toys stepping up production because of the upcoming New Year break

I do however believe that because of the recent trend of figures being moved up, up to 60 figures a year being released now and more announcements each week. I can see Hot Toys moving to a shorter time between announcement and release. It could possibly be part of a new business strategy to maximize sales due to public interest. Drax and Hulkbusters are examples of figures people lost interest in because of the wait. In the future maybe we can expect figures to release the same way movies go to Bluray or within the same time frame

So as collectors go, it might be a good time to pay off those pre-orders, go back and get figures you missed and get ready, if this is the case, things are about to get crazy :lol

It is definitely an anomaly. As stated, HT has a push in manufacturing to get the products out before shutdown. I would fear quality would suffer if they tried to cram more and more releases into shorter windows. From my seat I am perfectly happy waiting for releases that are spread months in advance, especially buying 50 or so figures I do in a year.

I think its both of the above

On one hand it could merely be a coincidence that both figures happened to finish production around now and/or it could be Hot Toys stepping up production because of the upcoming New Year break

I do however believe that because of the recent trend of figures being moved up, up to 60 figures a year being released now and more announcements each week. I can see Hot Toys moving to a shorter time between announcement and release. It could possibly be part of a new business strategy to maximize sales due to public interest. Drax and Hulkbusters are examples of figures people lost interest in because of the wait. In the future maybe we can expect figures to release the same way movies go to Bluray or within the same time frame

So as collectors go, it might be a good time to pay off those pre-orders, go back and get figures you missed and get ready, if this is the case, things are about to get crazy :lol

You keep mentioning Hulkbuster and I do not agree with that statement and it is off point. HB is nearly sold out everywhere and the hobby shops are gouging their excess stock right now immediately as it is delivered listing it above the $825 retail. Ebay sales are averaging over 1,000 dollars so I do not get how you say it is not performing. Drax on the other hand is an extremely niche figure that a collector would probably want more guardians to compliment it. I know of hardly anyone (actually no one) only getting a Drax figure. Its collecting dust months after release because of that. So the Drax figure is an extreme case you are stating as well.

I agree, a Drax figure can't survive alone but a hulkbuster or iron man will do just fine on it's own.
Honestly I'm not feeling that hot toys wait of 1 year or so. It's to long. 6 month I feel should be more then enough after the movie hits dvd/ blu ray or something.
Mk 4 w/ gantry better not be release after 2019. I mean that's to long and realistically I don't know when I'm gonna die, to much good stuff to play with.

In a far away land I can't imagine a guy waiting for Hulkbuster in 2015 or whenever preorder went up and he died before he even laid his own eyes on it. That would be cruel lol

Is this double release (Spidey and mk6) a sign of we can expect from HT in the next months?
I mean they have more and more figures to develop every year, so many licenses, and they need to keep on pace releasing (now Infinity War so close, with Black Panther movie solo there, Justice League pending releases, Jack Sparrow’s etc...
Could this mean the next step in HT collecting is a few month wait for future figures instead of a year or more?

With respect, srsly, IMO companies don't care how long we have to wait. It was a shock to get Roadworn Thor around the Ragnarok movie release; Loki isn't even up for PO yet and there's a year wait for Hela. There was a year wait for Civil War Bucky and Falcon. The Hulkbuster wait.

I've got Jack Sparrow on PO and that was a long wait...almost there.....:panic:

I'm already guessing that anything I might PO for IW is gonna have 1-1/2 year wait. Longer, not shorter.:rolleyes:

There are some realities of production that some people just can't grasp XD

Between design, figure concept, prototyping, licensing approval back-and-forth, setting up a production plan, creating any necessary tooling/securing fabrics, scheduling time at whatever factory/workforce produces these (and slotting it in between other products being made), QA, packaging and shipping, these figures likely simply take 6-12 months on average to produce.

Now if you wanted them ready for the time frame in which the movie drops, that means HT has to start production roughly a year ahead of time. And THAT means they're locking in to character designs that may change some during post-production. Then collectors are ending up with figures that aren't screen-accurate, and that's a whole other can of complaint-worms.

Not to mention that they'd need to put the figure up for sale a year before the movie drops, which could lead to all sorts of spoilery-type problems.

And finally, as it is, I constantly see people on these forums saying "Eh, I have to see the movie first before I decide to order the figure." So HT would have a really hard time gauging their production runs if they were putting up preorders a year prior to the movie and most people are saying "I don't want to pay an NRD" or "Maybe it will get a coupon" etc etc ;)

You just... you can't have it all. You go one way, you have to deal with some stuff, you go the other way, you have to deal with different stuff. There's no magic button that just pops out product immediately.

There are some realities of production that some people just can't grasp XD

Between design, figure concept, prototyping, licensing approval back-and-forth, setting up a production plan, creating any necessary tooling/securing fabrics, scheduling time at whatever factory/workforce produces these (and slotting it in between other products being made), QA, packaging and shipping, these figures likely simply take 6-12 months on average to produce.

Now if you wanted them ready for the time frame in which the movie drops, that means HT has to start production roughly a year ahead of time. And THAT means they're locking in to character designs that may change some during post-production. Then collectors are ending up with figures that aren't screen-accurate, and that's a whole other can of complaint-worms.

Not to mention that they'd need to put the figure up for sale a year before the movie drops, which could lead to all sorts of spoilery-type problems.

And finally, as it is, I constantly see people on these forums saying "Eh, I have to see the movie first before I decide to order the figure." So HT would have a really hard time gauging their production runs if they were putting up preorders a year prior to the movie and most people are saying "I don't want to pay an NRD" or "Maybe it will get a coupon" etc etc ;)

You just... you can't have it all. You go one way, you have to deal with some stuff, you go the other way, you have to deal with different stuff. There's no magic button that just pops out product immediately.

Thanks man.
My post actually was directed towards the idea that maybe HT has a bigger and bigger crew, so that’s why they were releasing faster, and not just as a coincidence.

I hope so, agree that a 6-8 month wait would be the ideal.

Back