Does Rogue One detract from A New Hope?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does Rogue One detract from A New Hope?

• Yes, RO detracts from ANH

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • No, RO neither detracts from nor enhances ANH

Votes: 18 22.8%
  • No, RO enhances ANH

Votes: 49 62.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
The vader scene is one of the greatest scenes in the entire franchise.

That vader scene makes the movie worth it. And not only compliments ANH but the entire trilogy.

That vader scene makes the movie worth it. And not only compliments ANH but the entire trilogy.

It's true. Which is just insane when you think about it. That they actually made arguably the greatest villain in cinema (and definitely the most iconic) even better. That RO Vader sequence puts a new cloud of awesome over the entire OT.

And enough good things can't be said about the last 40 minutes of the movie.

Jyn cracks the Top 6 all-time favorite SW characters for me. Right behind Han, Luke, Leia, Vader, and Fett (OT versions obviously as I ignore PT Vader and Fett.) Yes I rank Jyn higher than Ben, Chewie, Yoda and the Droids though I doubt that will really surprise anyone at this point, lol. K-2 cracks the Top 10.

Last edited:
The vader attack heightens his entire presence in the trilogy.
Makes him so much threatening. A lot more scary, specially if u watch them back to back
It also gives more weight to Leia and her mission.

I noticed that it also makes R2 feel much more vulnerable during the first half of ANH knowing full well the sacrifices made to get that disc that he carries in addition to seeing what the villains are capable of that are hunting him. Sure it was all implied satisfactorily in ANH but seeing those elements in action makes the tension that much more palpable.

The plans were put on disc after Jyn beamed them into space. They specifically did it that way to address the ANH inconsistency of the phrases "transmissions beamed to this ship" and "stolen data tapes."

The plans were put on disc after Jyn beamed them into space. They specifically did it that way to address the ANH inconsistency of the phrases "transmissions beamed to this ship" and "stolen data tapes."

Still seems unnecessarily awkward. It would've been in the Rebellion's best interests to store them on every ship's computer available.

But it's OK cos Vader badass scene!!!

Yeah, if anything the way they addressed "the plans" seemed to make sense -- from the Imperial beta tape they "stole"... to the clear effort to beaming them out... all the way to condensing the plans to the same disc that Leia ultimately hides in R2.

I see where people are confused: Vader's phrase "beamed to this ship" which they weren't... but Vader doesn't know that. He's just trying to board that ship where he believes the plans are -- cutting down guys as he goes. He's not trying to snatch that tape -- otherwise he'd use his force-grip and snatch it up and leave. Who'd stop him?

Yeah, maybe it woulda worked better without showing the actual tape. Vader still would've had a motive to board the ship. Then Leia just transferred the data to tape when she needed to jettison it (as originally thought).

Admit it Prime Clone, you're just mad that Jyn didn't hand the plans to a bounty hunter who then handed them to a droid who then handed them to some worms to give to Princess Leia. ;)

It's true. Which is just insane when you think about it. That they actually made arguably the greatest villain in cinema (and definitely the most iconic) even better. That RO Vader sequence puts a new cloud of awesome over the entire OT.

And enough good things can't be said about the last 40 minutes of the movie.

Jyn cracks the Top 6 all-time favorite SW characters for me. Right behind Han, Luke, Leia, Vader, and Fett (OT versions obviously as I ignore PT Vader and Fett.) Yes I rank Jyn higher than Ben, Chewie, Yoda and the Droids though I doubt that will really surprise anyone at this point, lol. K-2 cracks the Top 10.

All of this is so true... Accept for Jyn cracking my top six.. She is not even close.. SHe is not even my Fav character in that film.. Though I do like her. Luke, Han, Leia, Vader, Fett, Wedge, Tarkin, Admiral Piet, R2 - D2, C-3PO, Yoda, Jabba, Cassian, Chirrut, Baze, K-2SO, Krennic, Maul, Jyn

This list was not in any order accept for Jyn being last. So she does crack my top 20... At 20 :)

K-2SO was better than Jyn.

Cassian made me say that.

Yrah.... thats definitely true, he was more charming amd funny and his lines were great.
Hes my all time favorite android. Hes really the greatest character of the movie
BUT, everyone else had to play it serious and straight. The stakes were too high.
Cant really blame jyn for being so serious. Specially with her backstory and her dad and being left by chicken man and all that

As much as I love RO, I always said that I never really connected with any of the characters. Like all things, I like them better with familiarity. But I still don't really want any in my collection (except the robot).

Its a strange film. I totally get why people don't like it -- because of the characters -- but at the same time I just love it. It's like watching an old war movie as a kid where I didn't really care about any of the expendable mission guys, I just liked the journey so much.

How **** -- I just hit 50,000 posts! I totally suck. :lol

So, I think this begs the question, if you were showing Star Wars to your kids for the first time, would you start with Star Wars, or Rogue One?

If your answer is the PT, don't bother chiming in. ;)

So, I think this begs the question, if you were showing Star Wars to your kids for the first time, would you start with Star Wars, or Rogue One?

:lol

I would go in the order the films were made in. I never understood doing it any other way for the first time.

rogue one first of course

Release order, including PT:dunno

All of this is so true... Accept for Jyn cracking my top six.. She is not even close.. SHe is not even my Fav character in that film.. Though I do like her. Luke, Han, Leia, Vader, Fett, Wedge, Tarkin, Admiral Piet, R2 - D2, C-3PO, Yoda, Jabba, Cassian, Chirrut, Baze, K-2SO, Krennic, Maul, Jyn

This list was not in any order accept for Jyn being last. So she does crack my top 20... At 20 :)

By my count she's actually in your Top 19. :D

K-2SO was better than Jyn.

Cassian made me say that.

:lol

Jyn gets no love here, all of her fans are in the figure threads, lol. I know some folks didn't care for her but she seemed to have a real kindness to her that would only come out when in the presence of those she truly trusted. Like when she studied the depressed faces of the commandos inside the stolen ship and gave them a pep talk not just to inspire them to fight but also to give them peace of mind for their last battle. Or stopping to give her weapon to K-2 not just because he might need it but specifically because she knew that it's what he wanted. Taking Cassian's hand on the beach to let him know that someone finally genuinely cared for him.

I found that all to be very endearing. And the way Felicity played her when she confronted Cassian about her father's death. Venting her anger toward him while clearing yearning for validation over her heartbreak. Validation that at the time Cassian refused to give her. *shrugs* All of that made it very easy for me to root for her.

Its a strange film. I totally get why people don't like it -- because of the characters -- but at the same time I just love it. It's like watching an old war movie as a kid where I didn't really care about any of the expendable mission guys, I just liked the journey so much.
l

I know where you're coming from. Tora Tora Tora was like that for me as a kid. I watched it over and over and never really latched on to any one character but was riveted by the overall conflict and wanting the US pilots and sailors as a whole to successfully fight off the Japanese invaders. I've said before that RO is kind of like another "ALIENS" for me where I actually do really like individual characters but I could totally see how others would take the individual team members as peripheral to the broader conflict at hand.

Back