Does Rogue One detract from A New Hope?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does Rogue One detract from A New Hope?

• Yes, RO detracts from ANH

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • No, RO neither detracts from nor enhances ANH

Votes: 18 22.8%
  • No, RO enhances ANH

Votes: 49 62.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
Though I'll probably get castrated for this, Rogue One is actually my second-favorite Star Wars movie. I put it ahead of the Almighty ANH.

Though I'll probably get castrated for this. . .
Yep, time to drop trou.

tr8fSBk.gif

Ahhhhh... DiFabio. :duff

At least we agree on the OT and the Prequels. Doubt any Star Wars movie will ever be as good as SW and ESB, hell, it's a tall order for any movie. Rogue One is GREAT, but it's not quite at the level with SW and ESB, at least in my eyes.

It's a great lead-in to SW, really, really like the movie, but falls a little shy of the mark. The fact that it's as good as it is, is amazing.

That being said, it's star wars through and through, but SW and ESB are just so mind blowingly good, it's so hard for anything, in my eyes, to equal it.

Rogue One is still the 3rd best Star Wars film, though.

Personally, I can't completely hate on ROTJ. I like seeing Luke as a Jedi, Jabba and his Palace, the Emperor and the throne room. Hell, I don't hate Phantom Menace either. They're somewhere on the decent to mediocre spectrum since they do have cool elements to them..

Of the 8 SW movies so far, I consider ROTS and RO to be spiritual sequels to each other since they have the most in common. ROTS is about the rise of the Galactic Empire, RO is about the rise of the Rebellion. They're both not as bad/boring as AOTC and TFA, but they're not Star Wars or Empire. Revenge of the Sith and Rogue One really compliment each other as far as story progression goes. RO reminds me of one of those neat EU comic books that came out after 2005 that attempted to bridge ROTS and ANH. Cool little things like Bail, Vader hacking and slashing the rebels like he did to the Jedi kids and the Separatists, Mustafar, another fake (but quaint) looking Tarkin etc. etc. really cement that. I can't really hate those two either. I like the space battles and action scenes in both movies. They're more kinetic than anything in the OT.

Exactly, RO doesn't really exist in my world so no impact on A New Hope.

I don't even think about the 4 prequels when I watch the original Star Wars. It is it's own thing of it's own time. The same will apply to the Han Solo movie, it'll have no impact on how I view Solo in Star Wars. Things like the special editions or the new flicks post 1999 don't improve upon nor detract from the original. They're just kind of there as this awkward elsewords story thing.

Personally, I can't completely hate on ROTJ. I like seeing Luke as a Jedi, Jabba and his Palace, the Emperor and the throne room. Hell, I don't hate Phantom Menace either. They're somewhere on the decent to mediocre spectrum since they do have cool elements to them..

Of the 8 SW movies so far, I consider ROTS and RO to be spiritual sequels to each other since they have the most in common. ROTS is about the rise of the Galactic Empire, RO is about the rise of the Rebellion. They're both not as bad/boring as AOTC and TFA, but they're not Star Wars or Empire. Revenge of the Sith and Rogue One really compliment each other as far as story progression goes. RO reminds me of one of those neat EU comic books that came out after 2005 that attempted to bridge ROTS and ANH. Cool little things like Bail, Vader hacking and slashing the rebels like he did to the Jedi kids and the Separatists, Mustafar, another fake (but quaint) looking Tarkin etc. etc. really cement that. I can't really hate those two either. I like the space battles and action scenes in both movies. They're more kinetic than anything in the OT.

I don't even think about the 4 prequels when I watch the original Star Wars. It is it's own thing of it's own time. The same will apply to the Han Solo movie, it'll have no impact on how I view Solo in Star Wars. Things like the special editions or the new flicks post 1999 don't improve upon nor detract from the original. They're just kind of there as this awkward elsewords story thing.

The only thing that sucked about Return of the Jedi was the ewoks, if you cut out all of their scenes it’s actually a really good movie on par with the other 2 in the OT. I also agree with your statement about Rogue one and RotS, but I think I actually enjoyed both of them more then you did. However, you lost me with your comments on Phantom Menace and TFA. The only thing good about phantom menace is the duel of fates and Pod race, the rest of it was complete trash. TFA on the other hand was anything but boring, I still remember the feelings I got watching it for the first time in the theater, after all the PT **** it was a revelation IMO. I’ve seen it may be like 6 or 7 times already, granted I don’t have much of desire to watch it again so it’s not like the OT in terms of replay value but it’s still one of the better star wars movies. AotC doesn't even register as boring because it’s not even watchable. It was the only star wars movie where I wanted to walk out of the theater, but since I didn’t drive myself I was stuck there. Maybe I give RotS a pass because of how bad the other 2 were, I actually saw RotS like 3 times in the theater, and still pop it in the player on occasion.

Jedi is an odd bird, because when it works, it's really, really good. When it falls on its face, it's embarrassingly bad. And it's not just the Ewoks, though the Ewoks are the worst crime in that movie. The Ewoks aren't just bad by themselves, they drag everyone else down with them, Han, Luke, Leia, everything they do in the company of Ewoks is hammy and terrible. I consider the Max Rebo segment to be nearly as awful as the Ewoks, made even worse in the Sp. Ed. Ford just gave up, I understand his character didn't go where he wanted it to, but this movie Will be a big part of his legacy, he hould have made it count! The skiff battle was underwhelming as well, but that bothers me more now than it did as a Kid.

The Prequels, hmmmmmm.... I like portions of Phantom and Sith. Phantom (obviously) had Maul and Neeson, Obi Wan was fine too. Maul was so well done, I wish they'd given him a little bit more to say, but he worked as a force of nature. Given how much I hated Dooku (and I love Christopher Lee), I wish he had stuck around to the next film, maybe Clones would be a bit more watchable had Maul been in it. So Duel of the Fates was the highpoint surrounded by low after low. I'm not really a fan of the pod race, but I don't mind that it's there.

Sith... This movie often gets a pass from me because of how much I like McDiarmid. But still, once the Jedi tried to arrest him, his character was flushed down the toilet, what a shame. So much bad though, Killing Jedi kids, nausea inducing dialogue and acting, and they not only made the Jedi look weak and incompetent, but they made the lightsaber battle boring, seriously boring!

Back