Does broken plastic devalue Hot Toys?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neku

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hey guys, I refently got the Tonto Hot Toys figure and there is really annoying plastic wrap around the feet and hands. I had to basically tear it off. Do collectors care about that stuff?

Also, I'm having trouble taking off the plastic around the neck... Advice?

An open figure is always going to be worth less than one mint in box. However, I don't think cutting or tearing the protective plastic off is really going to hurt the value any.

What really devalues that figure is that it's Tonto. Sideshow was literally giving those away.

An open figure is always going to be worth less than one mint in box. However, I don't think cutting or tearing the protective plastic off is really going to hurt the value any.

What really devalues that figure is that it's Tonto. Sideshow was literally giving those away.

Haha, yeah I know they aren't worth as much, but I like displaying them on my shelf. I just like to have them as mint condition as possible.

And now I can't get the plastic off of his stomach either >.> not keen on taking scissors anywhere near it as well.

I hate those ****ing plastics on the feet... impossible to find the end of the tape to cleanly take it off. always have to knife it off.

opened HTs don't really sell for that much less than an new/sealed honestly. I'd rather the seller have checked the figure first before buying. "New" doesn't mean **** to me if it has defects.

As long as all the items and paperwork is in the package, most won't care much.

is the round tape on the box still intact? because that will indicate whether the toy is MISB or MIB/BIB, which affects the value more than your wrist/leg wraps, because not every figure comes with them and it's hard to tell which figure comes with them, but all Figure box comes sealed with those round tapes.

is the round tape on the box still intact? because that will indicate whether the toy is MISB or MIB/BIB, which affects the value more than your wrist/leg wraps, because not every figure comes with them and it's hard to tell which figure comes with them, but all Figure box comes sealed with those round tapes.

Yes, the round tape on the box is still intact, I make sure to never break them. The only packaging I broke is the arm and leg wraps. :/

Keep your figure and the box it came in as good a condition as you can, any little defect like a paint rub, missing accessory, dint on the box will affect price.
Some collectors only buy MIB figures but usually if they are complete and in good condition they hold their value.

A figure that's never been opened, never removed from the box for inspection is to me highly suspect and to be avoided unless you're buying from a store with an iron-clad return policy. Highly desired 1/6 figures will maintain a high price whether removed from box or not. MISB-mania is for low-end toys.

I've never heard of anyone caring about the little plastic bags and loops used inside the box, but I'm sure there are some people out there who do - don't worry about it, those people wouldn't be serious buyers anyway.

I've never heard of anyone caring about the little plastic bags and loops used inside the box, but I'm sure there are some people out there who do...

Considering the fact that there are collectors out there who insist on having the brown shipper box in order to consider their figure complete, I'm sure you're right.

Seriously, people. The shippers? :slap

Shippers are useful for resale. I'd much rather be able to just stick a figure back in its box and head to the post office than spend more time and money packaging something for shipping.

Considering the fact that there are collectors out there who insist on having the brown shipper box in order to consider their figure complete, I'm sure you're right.

Seriously, people. The shippers? :slap

you can't reprint the shipper box with the exact prints on it, also many are limited exclusive items so whatever box it came with still adds value to it.

you can't reprint the shipper box with the exact prints on it,

The shipper box means nothing. It's not part of the product and isn't even available in many locales or shops when you buy the figures. If someone ever plays with the price because of a shipper, move on, you don't want to do business with that person.

Shippers are only really useful for safe shipping and storage. They have no effect on the price really, unless you're paying more for pack outs.

Everything inside the art box has at least some value though.

The shipper box means nothing. It's not part of the product and isn't even available in many locales or shops when you buy the figures. If someone ever plays with the price because of a shipper, move on, you don't want to do business with that person.

if it's a limited edition it affects the value. not just 1/6 figures but generally any collectibles. even in Japan shops selling items with shipper box sells at higher price than those that doesn't even though both are new, not by much but $5-$10 more.

and for the guy who talks about shipping the item in the shipper box, i wouldn't wanna buy from them, the shipper box is not designed to withstand impact during shipment because they are sized to fit the item box, so there's no room to absorb any kind of impact, any ding on the shipper box will translate into the item box. sometimes people are too confident with their shipper box like 3A, rarely you get a perfect box by the time they arrive unless you use Express service where they baby your packages.

the brown shipper box for reals!?
what's next those silica gels/desiccants??

you can't reprint the shipper box with the exact prints on it, also many are limited exclusive items so whatever box it came with still adds value to it.

enjoy your cardboard box kingdom.
ipcs_fav08_01.jpg

I keep my original HT silicas and sell them for $20 each with the shippers. Original tissue paper, too. Mint creases and everything.

and for the guy who talks about shipping the item in the shipper box, i wouldn't wanna buy from them, the shipper box is not designed to withstand impact during shipment because they are sized to fit the item box, so there's no room to absorb any kind of impact, any ding on the shipper box will translate into the item box. sometimes people are too confident with their shipper box like 3A, rarely you get a perfect box by the time they arrive unless you use Express service where they baby your packages.

As long as you pay shipping, I'll triple-box everything :wink1:

even in Japan shops selling items with shipper box sells at higher price than those that doesn't even though both are new, not by much but $5-$10 more.

Put it this way... when a figure costs $200 and I can part it out for $500+ within a week, I don't care about the shipper.

I maintain my stance, stay away from buyers who feel the shipper is equally important to what's inside the box - they will only cause you problems.

Back