Does anyone here collect Hasbro?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess Im the only one here who collects all of modern Hasbros releases. I guess if I didnt I could afford to get things like PFs and Gentle Giants busts.

Now Hasbro has announced that all of the 3.75" figures next year will be packaged with coins and no dsiplay stands.

Hahaha! I swear that company can't get out of their own way with their shortsightedness. :lol

My dear old mother was recently raking in the back yard and raked up old Kenner Ben Kenobi. I think he has prolly been out there since 1982... He looks really bad though... :D

I still collect the Hasbro stuff, but have NEVER been a completist in it. Me and by bro pretty much collect all the ships and figures, but RARELY any of the repaints. When they do stuff like they did with the Bespin Luke a few years ago, I figure that's worth another investment, as any inovations they do I think are worth it just in appreciating the figure in itself. I, for one, think Hasbro makes horrible decisicions, but you have to admit that they are #1 when it comes to distribution (now any way) and they have listened as best a huge conglomerate can, to collectors as of late. They continually have refreshed the shelves with constant waves of figures, some new, some not so new. I think their biggest blunder was the mid nineties 12" exclusivepalooza. It served to alienate a GREAT number of adult collectors from the 12" line, which was hot shiet at the time. Thier biggest ongoing mistake now is not producing the twin-pod cloud car, THAT THEY MADE FIGURES FOR BACK IN 04/'05!!!!! I have 2 or 4 pilots wandering the streets of Bespin looking for their ships to no avail. It was clear two years ago that their interest in the 12" line had faded, but it was a self inflicted wound. They (hasbro) tried for WAY TOO LONG to pretend that adult collectors didnt factor into their bottom line. Ill borrow from Irish, they were "shortsighted" in that department. Glad SS is showing them what it's about.
Lastly, my greatest complaint now is that they arent consitent with the articulation. They dont seem to know/care that adult collectors prefer a defined formula, if you will, when it comes to detail, articulation, etc. At least I do, so HASBRO! Get it together!!!
sorry for the long rantrabblerabblerabble....:lecture :rolleyes:

I must disagree that they don't worry about adult collectors. I think they mostly worry about adult collectors. Kids don't care about all these exclusives that they do. They are just milking every dollar out of the collectors they can. They honestly could take a dump in a box and sell it as long as it had a star wars logo on it. We here might not fall for it but head over to rebelscum and sites like that and you will see a many threads about hasbro items as we have here for every sideshow line combined.

mfoga said:
I must disagree that they don't worry about adult collectors. I think they mostly worry about adult collectors. Kids don't care about all these exclusives that they do. They are just milking every dollar out of the collectors they can. They honestly could take a dump in a box and sell it as long as it had a star wars logo on it. We here might not fall for it but head over to rebelscum and sites like that and you will see a many threads about hasbro items as we have here for every sideshow line combined.

I hear ya, but some folks are SERIOUSLY serious about ANYTHING star wars. I just think Hasbro has lately shown interest in adult collectors. Just look at all the army building gestures made recently. Even the SDCC '07 announcement and the 3 clones rounding out '06. I agree, they do want every dollar they can get, but what large conglomerate doesnt? They are no different. I think the only thing one can do is decide to NOT be a completist. I dont need one of the same Barada b/c he's on new packaging, but I dont knock anyone who does need him. But look at it this way, if you collected a line that was firmly kid oriented like say, Power Rangers, you'd have 25 (exaggeration I think) Red Rangers! Hasbro claims to rerelease this stuff for kids, perhaps that's the truth. Who knows, I just know the same old Baradas must sell to someone b/c they arent always on the shelf. Hell, I saw a grown person pick up not one, but TWO Darth Vader Advance Tie Fighters at Target. When I asked why, he said he didnt get it back in '98(?). So I guess the repaks, while pissing folks like you and me off, they do work for others....my 2 cents.

I've collected Hasbro/Kenner nearly all my life. (32 yrs)
However in the past 5 years I've bailed on nearly everything they've produced except for the Unleashed line which I am a fan of and the interactive R2-D2 which is the coolest SW toy ever produced.
Oh, and I did get the Clone Wars animated figures because that series was so cool, as well as a ROTS Anakin Jedi Starfighter that sits on my computer monitor at my office.
Every now and then I get something for my 3 yr old son, because after all most (if not all) of what Hasbro produces is designed for kids. Hasbro just takes advantage of the fact that there is also a collectors market.
-theropod

I stopped around the time Sideshow announced Jedi Luke but had been bored with Hasbro collecting for some time prior to that. I was never a completist but the endless repacks and Clone variants were what finally made me call it a day. Having seen what Sideshow are doing with the license I don't regret it one bit and while I used to spend a good while looking at Hasbro stuff in comic shops I barely give it a glance these days. Sideshow's SW products are nowhere near as numerous as Hasbro's but I'll take quality over quantity any day.

Man I did not expect to get so much response to this thread when I started it. Currently I am looking to sell my Hasbro collection in hopes to get some money for a Padme maquette. I will keep all my ships but now I just do not see my self ever displaying the figures. I started collecting the ROTS line and got most of those figures, then I went back and got almost all of the clone wars figures. I started collecting the saga collection but after the UGH hunt I just had enough and did not want to do it any more. Now the figures are taking up a lot of space and I could use the money for some other stuff. Not 100% sure yet as they were the first things that I collected so there is some sentimental value.

I would personally sell my Hasbro stuff if I needed money and have in the past. The only things I would have a hard time selling would be all of my original items. I would sell my Sideshow before I would sell the original items. Those have sentimental value , the rest I like but don't have the same connection as those items I have owned almost all my life.

I stopped about the time AOTC came out. I had all of the episode 1 figs and probably about 80 - 85% of the rest of the 3 3/4" line. I am actually getting ready to sell most all of them. I might keep some of the red cards just because I remember spending about $6 a week on groceries in college just so I'd have enough to buy figures when hasbro started releasing them. I haven't eaten Ramen noodle or Vienna sausages in 10 years now. :lol

I just won a 12" Luke speeder bike figure off ebay (I noticed another Freak was also bidding on a different one.. The winning bidder is paying more than the Buy It Now item I just got.) :D :lol

So I'm thinking about dropping the Hasbro thing for SS, MR and Medicom, anyone else do this and regret it? I have 200+ figures, and more might be coming, I'm just not sure if it would be worth it since I'm in so deep. Part of me says "Just take 20-30 you really like and keep them and sell the rest to fund the SS, MR, Medicom stuf" and the other side says "You're gone in so deep it wouldn't be worth it keep going!" I dunno. Just asking advise.

My Hasbro are now kitbash fodder.... I keep eying off some on ebay that I could combine with the SSC figures already released - who's up for a Hoth Han ?

Gran3131 said:
When I started collecting I collected Hasbro but then I switched my main focus to statues right away. Do any of you guys still collect hasbro?

Collect Hasbro? Yes.

Still Collect Hasbro. No.

I did, but with the end of the 12" figure line came the end of that collection. Towards the end I was picking up Hasbro figures for next to nothing on E-Bay mainly for the parts to do some custom work with as I was in need of pieces.

Honestly, my Hasbro 12" figures still hold a place in my heart and in my collection for what they are. Most of them were not all that great but some of them were exceptional. The Speeder Bike and pilot still stands out as one of the best items they produced.

Hasbro 12" figures take a beating in this forum but they were the best out there at the time.

IrishJedi said:
Now Hasbro has announced that all of the 3.75" figures next year will be packaged with coins and no dsiplay stands.

Hahaha! I swear that company can't get out of their own way with their shortsightedness. :lol

Coins, sounds like the end of the line to me.

Darth Kustomizer said:
Coins, sounds like the end of the line to me.

Dont knock Hasbro for the coins it was not there idea, Kenner did to to if you remember.

I do still collect hasbro. Not as much and I am much more picky about what I get. I'm a big Jabba, Hoth, and Final duel in ROTJ fan so most of my hasbro dollars go into those. I try to mix my saber props, model, hasbro toys, and sideshow stuff together in display. The nicer stuff kinda brings the other up a notch.

Well I've decided, I'm going to purge about 75% of my Hasbro figs (to help fund me SS!) I just can't keep going, not when Sideshow and other companies are out doing them. I'll just stick to the Unleashed line and various figures, like Holiday Special Boba Fett, but otherwise I can't do this anymore. I hate going to Target and Walmart, and I'm running out of room to display quality figures, like Sideshow!

Back