Doctor Who - Spoilers!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had pretty low expectations going into this episode, but who'd a thought? Two well written Gatiss episodes in a row! :lol

Good episode. It did bum me out seeing Diana Rigg looking so old.

ZcKFcL6.jpg

I like that the writers clearly had fun with their relationship in a cheeky way. When the mother asks for forgiveness and the daughter says no and the mother says thats my girl. :lol

For a split second I thought the daughter would take Mr Sweet and use him herself, but then when she slaughtered him I was like "hell yeah". Doctor's reaction to that was awesome.

I'm so glad that bcm guy is not here anymore. He probably would have shat all over this episode.

I like that the writers clearly had fun with their relationship in a cheeky way. When the mother asks for forgiveness and the daughter says no and the mother says thats my girl. :lol

For a split second I thought the daughter would take Mr Sweet and use him herself, but then when she slaughtered him I was like "hell yeah". Doctor's reaction to that was awesome.

I'm so glad that bcm guy is not here anymore. He probably would have shat all over this episode.

:exactly::goodpost::clap:lecture:yess:

Good episode. I almost thought they were going to do a story without the Doctor (it's happened once before in a classic episode IIRC).

Strax is awesome! What a great companion he would be.

Suprised by the Teegan reference. I'm wondering how many old faces are going to be featured in the 50th special.

I really liked the Crimson Horror. Very funny episode with numerous cool references to my era of the Doctor growing up. I wonder, and please let me know if Your do, is this the same poison that the Silurians were trying to use in their first appearance with the 3rd Doctor? Kind of wondering since our Silurian in Chief said she recognized it. Any thoughts?

Strax is a great character, i love how giddy he got when he was finally allowed to use weapons.

Two good Gatiss episodes in one series? Never would of thought i would ever type that!

Can someone summarize these "references to past Who" in the last episode? I missed all of that, I must not be familiar enough with the classics.

Can someone summarize these "references to past Who" in the last episode? I missed all of that, I must not be familiar enough with the classics.

When he referred to the "gobby australian" and heathrow airport he was talking about Tegan (5th Doctor companion.. I believe he was talking about the story "Time Flight" from season 19 :

Janet-Fielding.jpg

She was my first boyhood celeb-u-crush. :love

Just off the top of my head in recent episodes

• the Doctor mentioned having a Granddaughter (Susan from the Hartnell years)
  • In Journey to the Center of the TARDIS there's audio of past Doctors and companions in one of the echo control rooms (Not to mention Amy's paper mache TARDIS, River's baby crib, and Seven's umberella)
  • "The Gobby Australian" he was trying to get to Heathrow Airport was Tegan. He then says "Brave Heart" to Clara, a Fifth Doctor signature quote.

Thoughts about Nightmare in Silver:

Good stuff:

• The new Cybermen are cool. They look great.
• Clara in command was fun, even if there are times when I don't actually believe her as a real human being not even for a second.
• Warwick Davis! He was fantastic. And does he ever age? Sheesh.
•*The Cyber Planner/Doctor duel. That was fun. Matt is good at being evil.
•*Clara figuring out the Doctor isn't himself because he admits to loving her. Pretty great.
•*The setting was fun. I don't think it was as fully utilized/realized as it could have been... but that's down to budget, I'm sure.

Not great stuff:
• I feel like the series is looking a bit cheap. This is something I give Doctor Who a great deal of leeway on, but there's something about either the set design, the way it's lit or.... something... that just gives the series a slightly tacky feel that I am a bit surprised by.
•*Golden ticket... made of actual gold? The whole gold thing never made much sense. it makes even less sense here. I was mostly willing to go with it for the sake of nostalgia though.
• The "quick" Cyberman effect - the idea is cool. The execution seemed a bit silly.

Bad stuff:
• The children. Oh, the terrible child acting! Doctor Who has done so well up until now. And their presence was pretty much pointless in the end, other than to be captured.
•*Expectations. Huge Gaiman fan. My expectations were pretty through the roof. This didn't meet them. That might not be fair, but there it is.
•*The Cybermen as a threat. Still pretty low, to be honest. The actual Cybermen themselves had new tricks but didn't seem all that scary to me, to be honest. Nor were they that formidable. I mean, they were fighting a bunch of military rejects and still had a hard time of it despite superior forces, even before the Doctor shuts them down.

I loved the new Cybermen. I thought the perpetual upgrading was a great idea, it made them dangerous again. Cybermites, very cool. The Flash Cyberman however... I hope we never, ever see that again. So dumb.

Nice work by Warwick Davis and JLC. Nice call back to McCoy with the chess match. I had no problem with the kids' acting, it was serviceable. The real problem was the writing for the angry tween girl. That had to be one of the laziest, most 1-dimensional characterizations I've ever seen. I won't blame that little girl for that, an Oscar winner couldn't have pulled off that garbage.

By far and away, the worst part of the episode imo was Matt Smith. He definitely needed reining in on this one. His performance made season 17 Tom Baker look restrained.

Overall, a decent episode that might have been much better if Smith had not turned it up to 11 (pun intended).

I loved the new Cybermen. I thought the perpetual upgrading was a great idea, it made them dangerous again.

Too bad it was kind of knicked from the Borg. Though I suppose since the Borg were kind of a Cyberman rip-off (even if unintentional) than maybe turnabout is fair play. Even the Doctor looked a bit Seven of Nine-ish towards the end.

I had no problem with the kids' acting, it was serviceable. The real problem was the writing for the angry tween girl. That had to be one of the laziest, most 1-dimensional characterizations I've ever seen. I won't blame that little girl for that, an Oscar winner couldn't have pulled off that garbage.

That's a good point. It was pretty boring and one-dimensional. But the bratty Disney Channel-level acting didn't help. The boy wasn't bad though.

By far and away, the worst part of the episode imo was Matt Smith. He definitely needed reining in on this one. His performance made season 17 Tom Baker look restrained.

Well, one of my favorite parts. As much as I like Smith, there are times I think he indulges in the "jumping around yelling about" bit a little too much. Tennant did the same thing. A little of that goes a long way.

I don't see any whinging, just cordial discussion. This would be a pretty boring thread if every review of an episode was "It was fun."

Back