Doctor Strange: the movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, embrace the absurdity of being a comic movie! Doc Strange was a weirdo in the comic. He should be a weirdo in the movie.

And he should use magic. Or are they going to give him powers fueled by "alien technology" instead? The whole idea that Asgard and Thanos are OK but magic isn't does not compute with me.

Inclusion of the literal magic into MCU after what they've done to Mandarin is a shameless ignorance.

I don't understand how you do Dr. Strange without magic. That's his whole thing.

The asgaurdians HAVE magic. This has potential to get complicated quickly, so i'll TRY to keep it as simple as possible.

"any sufficiantly advanced science will appear as magic to the uninformed" is a relatively famous quote. It's the basis for what we see in Thor, and as the auidence are all humans, we can count ourselves amongst the "uninformed". This means we can see them ALL doing FANTASTIC things, and are needed to be given an explanation.

MANY Genre's that use magic tout it as a sort of pesudo-science.
The "magician" or "wizard" simply has a greater understanding of the "true" rules of the universe. and as such he has the Power to bend those rules to his will.

The Force in Star Wars is a good example of this. "the force" is a natural part of nature that the jedi train and learn how to harness. But it's STILL a completely natural phenomina, and part of the universe as a whole. It's sciecne, albieit werid science.

Another example of this is the cosmic cube from First avenger and Avengers. It was a "magic" power source with nearly unlimited potential.

In Dr. Strange, his powers are focused through the Eye of Agamatto.
I expect this will carry over to the movie as well, in that the eye lets him tap into the " cosmic power of the universe" or something like that, and through complex equations focused in the form of incantations(spells), he is able to work wonderous "magic".

And then in the end, when Mordo steals the eye from him we learn that he dosn't NEED the eye to work his magic, and Stephen Strange saves the day.

This way, we keep the status quo of "magic is advanced science" but we get to wrap it up in the mumbo-jumbo of traditional mysticisim.

As well as potentialy open the door for Mandarin to make a character-accurate return.

Well that's fine if Marvel wants to use some convoluted foolishness to try and disguise the fact that their "no magic" policy is silly in juxtaposition to other things in their films. But he's got to be more than a glorified Mysterio or something.

Well that's fine if Marvel wants to use some convoluted foolishness to try and disguise the fact that their "no magic" policy is silly in juxtaposition to other things in their films. But he's got to be more than a glorified Mysterio or something.

Marvel has made a No magic policy since the Avengers? I hadn't heard this yet. :dunno

In reference to the Mandarin, I recall someone in Marvel's creative department saying they wouldn't do magic because it wouldn't fit with that universe. And instead, everything had to be science-based. Hopefully they will backtrack with Strange.

I'm offended that Tony stark is a rich white man sterotype. I demand he be recast, and be written instead as a poor, Low-income Black man from Chiago. who makes his millions off winning the lottery.

^

That's why I find the "racist" claims about mandarin's changes to be stupid. It's just as dumb as that statement. YOu can find "racist" characticures in just about any character in any movie.

The "no magic" was becuase Iron man is centered as a "tech" story. The "studio money" thought that having science and magic together would confuse the auidence, becuase hollywierd thinks the moviegoing public is mentaly defficiant.

Considering we( the moviegoing public) help make things like Bayformers, and Rise of Cobra, and Fast and teh Failures Make Millions, they MIGHT be onto something.

In reference to the Mandarin, I recall someone in Marvel's creative department saying they wouldn't do magic because it wouldn't fit with that universe. And instead, everything had to be science-based. Hopefully they will backtrack with Strange.

Well then cancel the Dr Strange movie, Marvel. This is like saying, "We are doing a non-tech-based Iron Man." Yeah, good luck with that.

Well then cancel the Dr Strange movie, Marvel. This is like saying, "We are doing a non-tech-based Iron Man." Yeah, good luck with that.

If I wasn't clear enough in what I said above, the "no magic" only applied to the Iron man Movie.

and even then, their had been plans to get around it useing the "magic as advanced science " angle in thor if Auidences Bought it.

Its funny how something as simple as someone reading they don't want to use magic for the Mandarin character could morph into Marvel doesn't want magic at all, especially after its repeatedly mentioned in both Thor and the Avengers.

If I wasn't clear enough in what I said above, the "no magic" only applied to the Iron man Movie.

and even then, their had been plans to get around it useing the "magic as advanced science " angle in thor if Auidences Bought it.

What I read was "...I recall someone in Marvel's creative department saying they wouldn't do magic because it wouldn't fit with that universe." Which admittedly, was not said by you.

However! The Marvel films all share that same universe, and it is therefore pretty reasonable to assume that this applies to everyone.

Thor & co. got a pass because Asgardians are not humans, they are from outer space now. Okay, that can work.

Dr. Strange is a guy FROM EARTH, not an alien. We here on earth dont have that level of technology as hardly need be said. Perhaps they can make Dormammu being tech-based work, but I don't know.

If they thought Mandarin was too wild to show properly, what chance does Dormammu have? Think about it. I really don't want Dormammu trashed and hung out to dry like Mandarin was, but no one at Marvel is asking my opinion and so... there you have it. :)

Just give him magic for Christ's sake! It's a ****ing comic book, not War and Peace. If people will buy the SHIELD helicarrier, Thor's hammer or a guy turning into a giant green monster, they'll buy magic.

Thing with Magic is it has to have existed for hundreds of years, this is different than one brillaint scientist or engineer managing to create a super serum or armour.

So Strange is simply a gifted guy who can tap into it like Jedi do with the Force.but this brings up the question why isn't Magic more apart of society ispf it's a real thing and has been for hundreds of years.

A way they could do it is have Magic fade away over the years with only a very select few passing on the teachings on how to use it.

Strange could get this from the monks

Wasn't there a very popular film series based on magic a few years ago?

And Hollywood tried a scientific explanation for magic a few years ago with the Sorcerer's Apprentice.

Back