Do you want Kojima to make more MGS games?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you want Kojima to make more MGS games?

• Total voters
I'm going to go out on a limb here.

REBOOT METAL GEAR.

The series has begun to do what a lot of Japanese games do. They get lost in their own mythology and start going all over the place. The villains are typically the same, the world crisis, and there's always a "Metal Gear". This is what has turned me off of Final Fantasy years ago. It was all the same.

Reboot Metal Gear. "Ultimatize" it and wrap a lot of the current series history into a much nicer and neater package. Start with Solid Snake and his initial mission against Outer Heaven and Big Boss and introduce twists and turns there.

I think it's time for a clean slate. Metal Gear doesn't excite me anymore.

Konami already did it with Castlevania and look at how that has turned out. Lords of Shadow is one of the best Castlevania games in a long time (yes it borrows elements from other action games like God of War) and has one of the STRONGEST stories. Tying together the Belmonts and Dracula the way they did leads to an even STRONGER blood feud between the two.

I actually support the idea of rebooting the franchise. However, with different main characters, in a timeline that's independent from the original MGS canon. Perhaps, even something involving a pre World War 2 story with The Philosophers.

Rising is as canon as Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

While I agree that it shouldn't be canon, the "official" word out there, by the guys who made the game, is that it is in fact canon.

Tbh, I was under the impression that it wasn't, but a week ago I read that it is, and till this moment i'm still like :dunno

At this point I think asking for a remake of the MG games is already pushing it, a reboot, well, that would be a dream.

It'd be interesting though.

While I agree that it shouldn't be cannon, the "official" word out there, by the guys who made the game, is that it is in fact cannon.

Tbh, I was under the impression that it wasn't, but a week ago I read that it is, and till this moment i'm still like :dunno

I really need to review those interviews, but if I remember correctly, KojiPro seemed to be giving mixed signals on the status of Rising's storyline. On one hand, it takes place after MGS 4 (implying canonicity), but then Kojima insisted that it wasn't part of the main series, and likened it to a spin-off.

I guess that they just don't want to come out and take a position on it, because it was developed outside of KojiPro.

Like most Japanese developers, they need to pass the torch since they seem impossible of changing their mindset when it comes to development. They are stuck in the heyday of when they ruled the industry. Kojima is a prime example.

At this point I think asking for a remake of the MG games is already pushing it, a reboot, well, that would be a dream.

It'd be interesting though.

I think Kojima will be making MGS games for as long as he's in the industry - which kind of makes this thread pointless :lol. A reboot seems likely when he has exhausted everything with Snake and Big Boss.

I really need to review those interviews, but if I remember correctly, KojiPro seemed to be giving mixed signals on the status of Rising's storyline. On one hand, it takes place after MGS 4 (implying canonicity), but then Kojima insisted that it wasn't part of the main series, and likened it to a spin-off.

I guess that they just don't want to come out and take a position on it, because it was developed outside of KojiPro.

Yeah, the game was always advertised as a spin-off.

I'm just gonna stay in denial and keep thinking it's not canon. :lol

Yeah, the game was always advertised as a spin-off.

I'm just gonna stay in denial and keep thinking it's not canon. :lol

The funny thing is, that no one from KojiPro ever has ever come out and said, "yes, Rising is canon", or "no, it isn't" :lol. They dodge the question by stating the obvious, that it takes place after MGS 4. Well, in that sense, Ghost Babel took place after MG Solid Snake, but it isn't part of the main series.

So, by that reasoning, I'm gonna say with assurance in my fan-boy heart that Rising is a non-canon spin-off :monkey1

The funny thing is, that no one from KojiPro ever has ever come out and said, "yes, Rising is canon", or "no, it isn't" :lol. They dodge the question by stating the obvious, that it takes place after MGS 4. Well, in that sense, Ghost Babel took place after MG Solid Snake, but it isn't part of the main series.

So, by that reasoning, I'm gonna say with assurance in my fan-boy heart that Rising is a non-canon spin-off :monkey1

MGS4 was written as the end, anything following is non canon, period.

REBOOT METAL GEAR.

I agree to this 100%
Bring back that MGS1 vibe and go from there. It'll give Kojima a chance to create an over arching plot, so everything flows. Unlike every Metal Gear game where each game was planned to be the last. Which is why the games are soo convoluted.

I actually support the idea of rebooting the franchise. However, with different main characters, in a timeline that's independent from the original MGS canon. Perhaps, even something involving a pre World War 2 story with The Philosophers.

Nah, Metal Gear should always revolve around Snake. Otherwise its like a 007 flick without James Bond.

While I agree that it shouldn't be canon, the "official" word out there, by the guys who made the game, is that it is in fact canon.

Kojima said himself in a recent interview that the game, while it fits into the canon, is actually Platinum's take on the Metal Gear universe. Like Pliskin said before Its not fully cannon

MGS4 was written as the end, anything following is non canon, period.

I wish MGS4 wasn't cannon :(

I completely disagree. I think if Kojima wants a reboot, he will have to do it with another MGS series set in the same universe. As complex and sometimes convoluted as the stories are, the fan base isn't going to take it kindly if Kojima's like, "Sorry guys, the old MGS games don't count, so I'm redoing everything from scratch! lololol *insert troll face*". If something like that did happen, the Internet would melt and I'm sure that Kojima might have to increase the number of his body guards for his own personal safety.

I think Kojima has overstayed his welcome with his creation. It's time to step back and give someone else a shot. Oversee it, stay on as a consultant, but let someone else with a fresh vision try Metal Gear. Kind of like George Lucas, Kojima has just made Metal Gear...well...messy. And as much as I love Zelda and it's history, even Legend of Zelda is much like Metal Gear Solid in that they have the same, over-arching story.

Apparently Phantom Pain will be his last time directing MGS and I think we can grow up past these ridiculous death threats that he gets.

Kojima collaborated with MercurySteam on Castlevania so I'm sure he would be welcome to letting a Western developer give a crack at MGS. I don't care what the haters say but I also think the Devil May Cry (dMc) reboot was amazing fun with a strong story. So there is a proven track record there. Plus, we know Japan has fallen behind Western developers and numerous Japanese developers have pointed out the flaws behind their game-making. Their too comfortable staying in their box so that's why they've "fallen behind".

I applaud MGS as it is still sports some fun gameplay and interesting characters. But I'd like to see something brand new for a new generation and on the next generation of systems.

You mean anything following the timeline past MGS4?

Anything beyond 2014 didn't happen in the canon.

I think Kojima has overstayed his welcome with his creation. It's time to step back and give someone else a shot. Oversee it, stay on as a consultant, but let someone else with a fresh vision try Metal Gear. Kind of like George Lucas, Kojima has just made Metal Gear...well...messy. And as much as I love Zelda and it's history, even Legend of Zelda is much like Metal Gear Solid in that they have the same, over-arching story.

Apparently Phantom Pain will be his last time directing MGS and I think we can grow up past these ridiculous death threats that he gets.

Kojima collaborated with MercurySteam on Castlevania so I'm sure he would be welcome to letting a Western developer give a crack at MGS. I don't care what the haters say but I also think the Devil May Cry (dMc) reboot was amazing fun with a strong story. So there is a proven track record there. Plus, we know Japan has fallen behind Western developers and numerous Japanese developers have pointed out the flaws behind their game-making. Their too comfortable staying in their box so that's why they've "fallen behind".

I applaud MGS as it is still sports some fun gameplay and interesting characters. But I'd like to see something brand new for a new generation and on the next generation of systems.

He's definitely gotten a case of George Lucas syndrome. The more he fiddles with the timelines and story, the more of a cluster**** it becomes.

Great post. I agree.

Interesting, a copuple of year backs talking about a reboot for me would be like, FANRAGE. But now, well, I can accept a full reboot. MGS4 should not be canon, and retcons are getting even weirder. Im not fan of the horn in TPP for instance, and I believe TPP will set a full pack of new retcons inside the series, rendernig old entries null. MGS was a masterpiece, but in the full lore, it turnes out to be not-so-relevant with all this new things :/
Im feeling sad.

I have high hopes for Deus EX as my new obsesion if Kojima fails.

You know what... I'm going to give Kojima the benefit of a doubt on this. The series is a mess, when you look at storylines of all of the games. But, he's trying something new with Peace Walker, GZ, and TPP. These three games will most likely have a canon of their own, separate from the main series, so I'm going to see how everything turns out.

I just hope that we'll see an eventual return of Solid Snake after Kojima has finished what he has planned with Big Boss.

Peacewalker!!!
u2upeqyv.jpg
a3y7ubud.jpg
zunury5e.jpg

I can't wait to play these upcoming BB games to see if there is any storyline splicing between BB and solid.
Sent from Shadow Moses by codec.

Interesting, a copuple of year backs talking about a reboot for me would be like, FANRAGE. But now, well, I can accept a full reboot. MGS4 should not be canon, and retcons are getting even weirder. Im not fan of the horn in TPP for instance, and I believe TPP will set a full pack of new retcons inside the series, rendernig old entries null. MGS was a masterpiece, but in the full lore, it turnes out to be not-so-relevant with all this new things :/
Im feeling sad.

I have high hopes for Deus EX as my new obsesion if Kojima fails.

:goodpost: I'm tired of the series nothing to get excited over .

Back