DO you take care of the boxes?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep all the Boxes of Figures i open simply because i keep moving around far too much.When i finally settle it might be a different story when i will at last get to open everything up to display.But even then i'll probably still keep them all anyways purely out of habit.

Yep I do take care of the boxes! One of the first collectable things I bought was an Assassins Creed II Black Edition. It came in a windowed box and was exclusive to where I bought it, when i got it I immediately opened it to remove the game and statue and the art book..... after about a month the box ended up under my bed. Soon after I was cleaning my room and reached down between my bed and the wall trying to retrieve the box, I tried to force it out and ended up tearing the box, an action I regret to this day, ever since that box I have wrapped and stored every box off a collectable I have ever received, and now sometimes I leave them unopened to appreciate value. Like my VI Avengers Promo and VII Battle Damaged.

A few months ago I bought a ACII: Black Edition NIB and have kept it safe ever since, never to see the light of day again.

"Sire, the Box, shall we destroy it?"
"If only we could, but its power is too great. Bury it deep. Somewhere no one will ever find it."

I only keep the boxes of my imports like S.H. Figuarts or statues. It's good for when you need to move, or sell it later on.

Don't leave them in boxes dude. Some stuff may have chemical reactions with the plastic holders. Some melt due to heat trapped inside. Some grow molds due to humidity. Even in dry environment mold could grow due to some items tend to "Sweat" after some time, usually soft plastic/rubber materials.

Yep I do take care of the boxes! One of the first collectable things I bought was an Assassins Creed II Black Edition. It came in a windowed box and was exclusive to where I bought it, when i got it I immediately opened it to remove the game and statue and the art book..... after about a month the box ended up under my bed. Soon after I was cleaning my room and reached down between my bed and the wall trying to retrieve the box, I tried to force it out and ended up tearing the box, an action I regret to this day, ever since that box I have wrapped and stored every box off a collectable I have ever received, and now sometimes I leave them unopened to appreciate value. Like my VI Avengers Promo and VII Battle Damaged.

A few months ago I bought a ACII: Black Edition NIB and have kept it safe ever since, never to see the light of day again.

"Sire, the Box, shall we destroy it?"
"If only we could, but its power is too great. Bury it deep. Somewhere no one will ever find it."

Don't leave them in boxes dude. Some stuff may have chemical reactions with the plastic holders. Some melt due to heat trapped inside. Some grow molds due to humidity. Even in dry environment mold could grow due to some items tend to "Sweat" after some time, usually soft plastic/rubber materials.
Are those defects usually related to temperature problems, I live in the middle of Ireland 85% of the year is between 6-12c, Most of my boxes are kept in clean dry places too

i'm not sure, sometimes it's just the difference between the environment humidity so the humid inside the rubber escaped to the surface making the box wet & molds starts growing. molds spores getting into the box in the factories is common.

a common problem is Medicom's 400% Kubrick their arm tends to become sweaty & sticky. they are made of soft plastic.

also soft plastic/rubber parts will react with other plastic parts like plastic trays. usually they get fused together. hot temp may just accelerate the process.

Are those defects usually related to temperature problems, I live in the middle of Ireland 85% of the year is between 6-12c, Most of my boxes are kept in clean dry places too

Environmental factors may have nothing to do with with the degradation of some "rubber" type parts. Take for example any rubber used by Microsoft or Logitech on their mice. The stuff on MS mice will start to break down within 2 or 3 years (every product) and the Logitech stuff seems to take at least 5 or 6, but doesn't happen on all their products. It doesn't matter if the product is in the box, in another box, sitting on your desk, used or not used. The surface starts to get sticky as the rubber breaks down and the glue on the back may or may not start to give - it does on all the MS products. In case it wasn't obvious, never under any circumstances pay money for any MS mouse product.

Then I've got toys that are 40 years old with all manner of vinyls and rubber-like parts and they're as good today as the day they were sold.

I store the boxes in a climate-controlled storage unit that's slightly larger than the master bedroom of my home ... if its good enough for the wife, its good enough for a dozen action figure boxes. I keep them lubricated with a steady supply of aged brandy and Dominican cigars. I try to have geishas drop by every few days to bathe and massage them ... but, the geishas have been slacking a bit lately. I'm thinking I may just bite-the-bullet and hire them full-time care. Only the best will do.

The toys themselves, I typically just toss aside. I collect boxes.

[...]

They're boxes. I throw 'em in the back of a dark closet we don't use much, and rarely even look in their direction. I keep 'em so they'll get beat to hell when we move, rather than the figure.

SnakeDoc

Hector, my box guy, is out for the season with gout. What lotions and oils should I be looking at to keep the cardboard supple?

Hector, my box guy, is out for the season with gout. What lotions and oils should I be looking at to keep the cardboard supple?

I use a proprietary blend of turpentine, sawdust and smokeless gunpowder. Gives 'em the well-broken-in feel of a used catcher's mitt. Don't want to spoil them too much. If you don't man-'em-up, they'll never be self-sufficient enough to hire their own geishas.

SnakeDoc

Back