Do you hide how much you spend on toys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a separate checking account and credit card where all of my hobby transactions reside. It was much to frustrating for my wife to keep track of my activity in the checkbook.

When I used to buy figures, I didn't "hide" how much something cost... I just didn't discuss it with her until she noticed my collection grew or if the box arrived at home. :lol

We have different accounts, so as long as all my financial responsibilities have been met.. I am free to buy a figure or two. I tell her about anything larger than 1/6th scale, which doesn't happen often.. But it was too stressful for her when she knew everything. She isn't used to anything that has a cost over 100 bucks that isn't electronic in nature.

Nah, I have a really beautiful wife. Shes never had a problem with it. We're both nerds, she actually really enjoys when something new comes in. As long as i take care of her, and put that time in, shes happy. I'm a pretty lucky guy.

my girl is interested in what I buy and doesn't mind. She spends $ on makeup and designer clothes and stuff so it is fair!

I used to somewhat, even though I paid for all the bills. Now I only see her once a week to pick up my son....he doesn't ask, but then again he can't talk yet. :monkey3

I don't ask about the shoes she doesn't ask about the toys. Ignorance is bliss :lecture.

Actually, the truth is that I don't hide it, but also don't go into a lot of detail about it. She knows how much they cost now (same way I know how much those boots cost, or the make up). I work with a very detailed budget when it comes to my expenses, I only buy what I can pay right away. As long I don't get in debt and fulfill my financial obligations, I feel free to spend on whatever I want.

I'm totally honest with the price. Except for the number of zeroes at the end.

No way, if she knew how much these cost Id be killed.... generally dont give her any extra information, and I bring these and keep it in. and when the question comes 'when did you get that?' The reply is 'didnt you see it? It was there for months!'
However when sometimes I have to bring something new in front, its always 'I had it on preorder for a year almost'

Hmmm...Being a single (wink wink, girls) doesn't mean you can spend all your money to toys. I have to pay my bills and eat as well. As long as I can do so, I don't think anyone has anything to say about it. I want to believe that in a relationship or marriage both parties can spend their own money as they see fit as long as their mutual economy can bear it. Obviously you can't spend more money that you bring in. Or you can, but now the economical situation for example in Europe is a one big clusterfrak because of this and other ****.

Last edited:
Joint banking account with an attached savings account for my collectible budget. I'll put $20-30 a paycheck there and save up or sell items I don't want anymore for new items.

Nope. As long as the bills get paid and there's food on the table, we have an understanding that neither one of us have to get permission to buy our toys.
In our budget we each have "mad money" which is money we can spend on whatever. I draw from that or from the sell of other figures when buying therefore, I am never asked.

:lecture

This sums it up for me. Not to mention she is very much into holiday decorating and is in Hobby Lobby and/or Michaels almost every day and I don't ask about THAT. The ONLY rule is that we only pay cash for anything we buy except cars.

Overall, she thinks they're cool and has never had a problem with me buying things that could be sold for the same or more if things got ugly. She gives me crap about my "dollies" but is the first to show off the Gantry and Captain Americas when someone comes over. :yess: I was also informed I would be loosing my Capt. TFA if we ever got divorced.

I should probably also mention she has a HUGE collection of McFarlane Football figures. Some of which are worth bank. She is half the reason I'm super ____ about box condition. The only time she has ever freaked was when a box arrives dented and rides my ass until I have a replacement.

Heck, she bought me my War Machine for $300 for our anniversary. She knew I wanted one and didn't like the Milk version so insisted we get and original.

Yeah, she's a keeper and I am very, very lucky. :)

Last edited:
No matter what I buy, my answer is always $20. It sounds believable I guess. When I sell them for hundreds though... she never seems to questions how I spent $20 and sold it for hundreds later down the road when I lose interest though. :cuckoo:

I'm single so I don't have to answer to anyone, but if anyone asks, I'll make something up. :lol

No matter what I buy, my answer is always $20. It sounds believable I guess. When I sell them for hundreds though... she never seems to questions how I spent $20 and sold it for hundreds later down the road when I lose interest though. :cuckoo:

When my Ex would ask me how much something cost I would be like "No I actually found it on clearance, yeah it was 70% off" :lol

No, but I hide from my creditors.

groucho-marx-on-reading-21664922.jpg

Back