Display cases info

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My PAX dimensions are 29.5" x 93 1/8" and 22 7/8". I bought 2 of these to make a total of 59" wide. Yours seems like it is built as one unit totaling 58 7/8" wide..

The widest Pax is 39 1/4" - that link is for 2 of the medium Pax units, the same as you have bought.

There are three Pax widths, two depths and two heights, 12 units total.

Hopefully halving the acrylic sheets will enable the hinges to hold. Looks good so far.

Returned from vacation and as I started to peel off the duct tape, the damn top sheet came off :mad:. The bottom was solid, so I guess I didn't have enough adhesive? Oh well, I'm done dealing with these crap hinges, so I just installed the good ol' metal ones and this is what I'll be doing from now on. I'll take a picture of it and post it tomorrow.

I'm not sure what's being done here to glue these on, but the acrylic to acrylic bond should be stronger than the actual acrylic itself if done with the right solvent. The way these should work is that you weld the hinges to the door and screw them into the cabinet frame. Typically there would be no need to tape anything in place because the hinges would be set on the door before it's screwed to the cabinet frame.

Finally get my Pax done. Spend almost entire week night with my wife to put them together. The final result is just GREAT. Now I can unpack all my goodies to fill these empty space. I didn't put these against the wall but leave about 10 inch gap so I can get access to all the cables on the back in case I need to change any setups. Cause you know it's impossible to move these anymore.
View attachment 141654
Make sure remove those protection films at last, so you don't have to spend whole day clean your figure prints.
View attachment 141655
View attachment 141653
Each shelf is about 28-29 inch tall. Big enough for any PF.
View attachment 141656
Try to keep those wires as clean as possible View attachment 141657
Hide a switch on bottom to turn on and off all lights.
View attachment 141658
Make sure get these wire organizer from ikea which make the entire setup much nicer and cleaner. And glue these to each shelves but not the side panel! So when you want to change the shelf hight later they won't annoying you.
View attachment 141659
Still looks so empty! Too tired tonight, need to go to sleep!
View attachment 141660
And I have all these baby to unpack.
View attachment 141661

Good nite everybody!

this is so great ... makes me want to do this right now but i want to wait til i get a new house. can you post some updated pics??

I'm not sure what's being done here to glue these on, but the acrylic to acrylic bond should be stronger than the actual acrylic itself if done with the right solvent. The way these should work is that you weld the hinges to the door and screw them into the cabinet frame. Typically there would be no need to tape anything in place because the hinges would be set on the door before it's screwed to the cabinet frame.

The bond to the acrylic isn't the problem, it's the bonding to the Pax unit that just doesn't hold. I went with the E6000 product adhesive which is what the plastic company recommended I used. I was going to drill them into the pax unit, but the guy said not to as it would most likely crack/break and to use the bonding unit for both the Pax unit and the Acrylic which is what I've done a few times now. I'm not sure if dajuice did this as well, though.

At this point it can't hurt, so for my next run I can try bonding to Acrylic, then screwing it into the Pax unit.

Using adhesive between the Pax and Acrylic hinges is not a good idea and I'm surprised they recommended it. Even if the adhesive were infinitely strong with a perfect bond, the lamination on the frame could peel and cause the whole thing to fail. But there's no such thing as infinite bond and I don't think you'll get a suitable bond with the product you've used.

The right solution is a hinge that's solvent welded to the door with holes for fastening with screws to the particle board frame.

This should be pretty much finalized. I have added hooks to my doors because I live in California and this is earthquake country plus I haven't bought collectibles insurance yet.
View attachment 172856

dajuice said:
My PAX dimensions are 29.5" x 93 1/8" and 22 7/8".

Where did you find the shelf insert you used on the bottom left shelf in the 29.5" width? I see the "Komplement Shelf Insert", but it's only in 39.75" width.

Oh, the small riser/insert? It looks like you'll have to cut one down as you're right, only available in the larger width.

this is so great ... makes me want to do this right now but i want to wait til i get a new house. can you post some updated pics??

Alright, didn't update for couple month and here are some new pics today.
First is the overall look.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426725808.503467.jpg
And this is my little corner where I can assemble my Gundams and unpack all new arrivals
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426725910.225984.jpg
PF and 1/4 mostly DC Marvel and SW
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426725950.727414.jpg
Avengers/captain America and some Japan stuff
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426726065.970054.jpg
Batmobile display
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426726239.134801.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1426726267.372871.jpg

Toy is my life!

That is a beautiful set-up. With all the changes going on with the Bestas and no more Tombo doors available I think I'm going to have to get a Pax. What you've got looks perfect to me--wish I had room for 2 sets.

Where did you find the shelf insert you used on the bottom left shelf in the 29.5" width? I see the "Komplement Shelf Insert", but it's only in 39.75" width.

I could have spent more money on buying Ikea shelf inserts but instead I found a few unneeded boards in the garage. I cut them to fit the PAX and the other measurement is up to you. You decided how far they extend out. I used 2 pieces of wood blocks to hold up the insert. Luckily I had some white paint.

Alright, didn't update for couple month and here are some new pics today.
First is the overall look.
View attachment 173577
And this is my little corner where I can assemble my Gundams and unpack all new arrivals
View attachment 173579
PF and 1/4 mostly DC Marvel and SW
View attachment 173580
Avengers/captain America and some Japan stuff
View attachment 173581
Batmobile display
View attachment 173582View attachment 173583

Toy is my life!

This is awesome!! where in NJ do you live? I want to be friends hahaha .... i also want to give you a new stool for your gundam assembling/toy opening area haha

This is awesome!! where in NJ do you live? I want to be friends hahaha .... i also want to give you a new stool for your gundam assembling/toy opening area haha

>_< I actually do need a better chair for that area. And you live in NJ too? I live in tenafly, on the north side of the garden state.

Toy is my life!

Back