Display cases info

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally finished after so many trial and errors and almost butchering up my PAX. I ended up putting 6 hinges on each side due to the flimsiness of having such a large Plexiglass. I had to resort to another type of hinge. This type is screwed in to the front frame of the PAX and in to the acrylic. I got them from Orchard Supply Hardware. To get these hinges to work, I had to resize the Plexiglass to the shelf width instead of the whole PAX. The panels were cut to 29.5" originally. It was resized to 28" to match the width of the shelves.

Thanks to gagaliya who suggested to go the PAX route.

View attachment 169996

So I removed my metal hinges I installed on my smaller Pax (39x73) and used the E6000 with the clear Acrylic hinges. I was surprised at how strong it was while only leaving it applied for about 2 hours. I left it for a total of 35 hours to fully bond before lifting it back up and setting it in place. Everything was working perfectly. Just as I was about to organize the last set of statues, the damn bottom hinge came off, then it was a domino effect and they ALL came apart :(. Maybe I could have let it bond for another 24+ hours, but I thought for sure it would hold :(. Lesson learned I guess, but I went ahead and just switched back to my metal hinges.

I didn't get a chance to buy the sheets for the 93" pax, but I'm going to get 2 sheets of 45" and try out the acrylic hinges once more as it won't be nearly as heavy and feel it can hold. Only problem is, I cannot bring the pax down as my ceiling isn't tall enough (I had to assemble it standing). I plan on attaching it while standing, and holding it all together with a **** load of duct tape for 72 hours this time. Hopefully that will allow it to fully bond, if not then I'll just go with metal hinges. I'll keep you guys updated probably later this week.

^^^^

Due to the flimsiness and the weight of the acrylic sheets, I was also thinking of cutting them length-wise. I decided not to do so because I know I will be adjusting my shelves constantly.

Good luck lewisnfro86 with your PAX. Take some pics when it is finished.

^^^^

Due to the flimsiness and the weight of the acrylic sheets, I was also thinking of cutting them length-wise. I decided not to do so because I know I will be adjusting my shelves constantly.

Good luck lewisnfro86 with your PAX. Take some pics when it is finished.

Yeah, I just ordered my sheets today for my first pax. I went ahead and cut it in 1/2 as it would be perfect fit for my shelves currently. I should have it installed Thursday and hopefully have some pictures posted by Saturday/Sunday morning.

Guys, just put a frame on these things. Doors are supposed to be built with a frame.

:lecture :goodpost: My thoughts exactly. Even if you're only using one panel and not the two sliding doors, it wouldn't be too difficult to put hinges on one of the ikea door frames for a single Pax. I highly recommend buying the door frames.

Or build your own frames with the aluminum frame extrusions I linked to earlier at Rockler. Super easy.

:lecture :goodpost: My thoughts exactly. Even if you're only using one panel and not the two sliding doors, it wouldn't be too difficult to put hinges on one of the ikea door frames for a single Pax. I highly recommend buying the door frames.

Or build your own frames with the aluminum frame extrusions I linked to earlier at Rockler. Super easy.

I'm still considering it, but I'm very OCD when it comes to this stuff and would NEED to have all of my units consistent, which they are all currently frame-free. That's honestly the only reason I haven't jumped on it =/. But it is a solid idea, and I appreciate the link, Pixelpiper.

Also, it looks like I would need to cut the frames to size with an actual saw blade which I don't have. However, I DO have a small dremel tool saw, which could work?

Within the hour I'll be going to IKEA and measuring the shelf depths, widths, heights and other stats on 50+ IKEA cabinets and shelving units. I made a very quick but very nice spreadsheet to gather all this info - fun times. ;)

Here's a list of what I'm recording below, if you can think of anything else that I should measure, let me know before I head out.

1. Width - door clearance
2. Width - interior
3. Shelf depth
4. Cabinet/Unit interior height
5. Standard number of shelves
6. Range of heights between shelves (standard)
7. Shelf material and thickness

I'm not interested in exterior unit/cabinet dimensions as those can be easily grabbed from IKEA's web site.

Damn, I measured over 80 cabinets/frames today - if I had to do each of the Sektion variations I'd probably still be there now. :) Sektion takes up one row on my table with a bucketload of numbers.

Ok, just finished securing my Pax using 2 acrylic sheets (29x45) with acrylic hinges. Duct tape is set, and looks ghetto as hell, but it'll hold :lol. Going to Vegas on Sunday, so I'm just going to let this beast fully bond for 5 days, and I :pray: this is sufficient time. Wish me luck!

Before
11046600_10205425944279286_2228964043113982073_n.jpg

After
14279_10205476932913970_6928599894281971019_n.jpg

This should be pretty much finalized. I have added hooks to my doors because I live in California and this is earthquake country plus I haven't bought collectibles insurance yet.
IMG_2894.JPG

wait a minute...sorry to go off topic. they have collectible insurance? i also live in california and this is definitely something i'm interested in. bought earthquake insurance on my house and that cost an absurd amount. and after the house and our lives....my collection is probably the next most important thing :slap

wait a minute...sorry to go off topic. they have collectible insurance? i also live in california and this is definitely something i'm interested in. bought earthquake insurance on my house and that cost an absurd amount. and after the house and our lives....my collection is probably the next most important thing :slap

Yes. You can get more detail in this thread:

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...ce-statue-collection.html?highlight=insurance

or here
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...-props-etc-/91167-collectibles-insured-2.html

or you can always do a search on the forums

Some home insurance should cover stuff like ur collection...depends on ur policy...

PAX 2 wardrobe frames - white, 58 7/8x13 3/4x79 1/4 ", - IKEA

Is this the correct link for the PAX cases that everyone is showing?

My PAX dimensions are 29.5" x 93 1/8" and 22 7/8". I bought 2 of these to make a total of 59" wide. Yours seems like it is built as one unit totaling 58 7/8" wide. Another thing to consider is the depth which is 22 7/8" deep. Going through Ikea I think I do see some with a shallower and deeper depth dimension. Lastly you might want to measure how high your ceiling is. Mine was 8 feet high or 96" which is just enough for the PAX which is 93 1/8".

Hey guys I need clarification about a shelf and doors I have.

I recently bought a billy bookcase at ikea a week ago. I've had some billy doors before I bought it. They're called billy morebo glass doors. So today I started to assemble both items and it seems the screws from the door at too wide and there's no place to drill them to the shelf. Is that how the doors suppose to be? Because I can't find anywhere that the screws should go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back