Display cases info

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Pax cabinets are the same, except the medium brown is discontinued. New sliding door frames will be available at the end of September in aluminum, black, and white for $275 without the glass panels so you can insert custom clear acrylic panels.

Alright, thanks. I'll be dropping by my local Ikea sometime soon I suppose.

Depends on how much weight you're gonna be putting on it. I have about 5-6 pfs on each and my heavy ones on the bottom.
I think i saw someone with the thing and hulk pf. Just the weight on those 2 on one shelf would scares the crap out of me.

Komplement max load is 44lbs i'd take a stab in the dark and say the average new pf weight is perhaps 10-16lbs.
You're better off getting custom ones.

My younger cat jumped on my shelf last night (hes solid 16 lbs) to chase a moth down.
Thankfully, i am super paranoid added 4 brackets and extra support to avoid the wood from warping in the middle.
if it broke i would have lost perhaps 3k of statue retail value on the shelf alone.

So no, i wouldn't advise in using glass for shelves.

Thanks, yeah I thought it would be a bit dodgy. The wooden Shelfs will be fine, I was curious because I could imagine it looking really good. I would only be displaying 3 per Shelf but I'd had the Comic Thor, Captain America & Hawkeye PF's on one Shelf & there all pretty heavy & I would be heartbroken if I lost them. Good thing about wood if it does break your got time to see signs of warping & cracking, glass will just suddenly go.

How hard would you guys say it is to move the big PAX once completed and mounted on the wall? I got my units today and I'm thinking of just putting them up as 2 different shelves until the doors come in stock (mainly due to the fact that the spare room I plan on using these in is presently being used as storage until mid-August).

How hard would you guys say it is to move the big PAX once completed and mounted on the wall? I got my units today and I'm thinking of just putting them up as 2 different shelves until the doors come in stock (mainly due to the fact that the spare room I plan on using these in is presently being used as storage until mid-August).

I did that with one pair of mine, and i regretted it. It's much easier to build them completely, lights and all and then add doors later. They are a huge pain to move once assembled.

I wouldn't say it's impossible to move them but it is a total pain due to their size & weight, and I'm dreading moving mine when I eventually have to. I'm really happy with them and they might be my display option of choice from here on out, but the particle board is pretty fragile. I've already miffed up a couple of spots from making a few adjustments. But I have learned a good method to move them when assembled is to slide a sturdy flattened cardboard box underneath the unit by tipping it slightly. Then I was able to manuever it into place over carpet no problem. I'm sure a furniture dolly would work as well but mine go almost all the way to the ceiling...

Not sure which doors you're getting but I opted for the sliding ones, went with the black frames and omitted the extra horizontal bars since my shelf heights vary. Got some solid plexiglass panes from TAP Plastics that are polycarbonate and supposed to be 200x stronger than glass. Don't know if you saw the "Komplement" door dampeners they have for these but they're pretty cool, I believe they were about $25 for the pair but it's a nice touch. Congrats and good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you gagaliya, jstep, pavehawk and Patriot for sharing all the excellent pictures and info on your Pax shelves. I've been sold on them :D

I was contemplating getting Bestas for the longest time but as soon as I came upon this thread I fell in love with the Pax. :lol

Since the medium-brown has been discontinued, which color would you guys suggest?

Thank you gagaliya, jstep, pavehawk and Patriot for sharing all the excellent pictures and info on your Pax shelves. I've been sold on them :D

I was contemplating getting Bestas for the longest time but as soon as I came upon this thread I fell in love with the Pax. :lol

Since the medium-brown has been discontinued, which color would you guys suggest?

It's hard to say because it's down to taste but Black/Brown or White are the only 2 colours which never seem to get discontinued in case you ever want to get more units later down the line

Thanks for the info! It would be nice to pick the colors that would be on their way out for a nice discount but I have no idea how soon that will be.

I replaced the backing on my black/brown pax with 1/4" plywood and painted it gray to avoid that very problem.

DSC010462_zpsffd44aa4.jpg

what door is this? custom?

The Pax cabinets are the same, except the medium brown is discontinued. New sliding door frames will be available at the end of September in aluminum, black, and white for $275 without the glass panels so you can insert custom clear acrylic panels.

Out of curiosity, how did you find this out? Do you have an inside scoop?

I'm dying hoping they'll re-release the 75" Tombo doors for the Besta cases, but I'm afraid they won't. If there's an address I could write to find out or beg (aside from the general customer service info), I'd love to know.

Out of curiosity, how did you find this out? Do you have an inside scoop?

I'm dying hoping they'll re-release the 75" Tombo doors for the Besta cases, but I'm afraid they won't. If there's an address I could write to find out or beg (aside from the general customer service info), I'd love to know.

It's just what they told me at my Ikea. Everything they've told me has been accurate so far.

It's just what they told me at my Ikea. Everything they've told me has been accurate so far.

Ah, okay. The people at my closest Ikea always act totally clueless. They tried to look it up on the website last time I asked. I guess I'll cross my fingers.

I wouldn't say it's impossible to move them but it is a total pain due to their size & weight, and I'm dreading moving mine when I eventually have to. I'm really happy with them and they might be my display option of choice from here on out, but the particle board is pretty fragile. I've already miffed up a couple of spots from making a few adjustments. But I have learned a good method to move them when assembled is to slide a sturdy flattened cardboard box underneath the unit by tipping it slightly. Then I was able to manuever it into place over carpet no problem. I'm sure a furniture dolly would work as well but mine go almost all the way to the ceiling...

Not sure which doors you're getting but I opted for the sliding ones, went with the black frames and omitted the extra horizontal bars since my shelf heights vary. Got some solid plexiglass panes from TAP Plastics that are polycarbonate and supposed to be 200x stronger than glass. Don't know if you saw the "Komplement" door dampeners they have for these but they're pretty cool, I believe they were about $25 for the pair but it's a nice touch. Congrats and good luck!

I was considering doing the same. Getting the Auli doors (frame only) and getting some full height acrylic panels...and just leave out the horizontal bars. What thickness of panel did you get?

I went to my local Ikea today to look for the sliding door frames by themselves, not only do they not have them, they took out and discontinued about 5 other sliding doors it looks like. Only ones available now are Auli and Sekken doors. That makes me sick to my stomach...

I am pretty sure you can buy the Auli frame by itself. Is there any reason you can't get an acrylic panel made for the Auli doors? That's what I am considering doing...unless there is something I am overlooking...

Hello guys. I live in a kind of remote location but will be driving south and am hoping to get some half decent but not to expensive display cabinets. I am thinking my best bet will be IKEA but its huge, so I was wondering if anyone could help narrow my search by providing the name of some IKEA cabinets they have utilized and liked.

If there is another source you think is good as well let me know.

Oh I live in Canada, and am heading to southern Canada.

Thanks for any info you may have.

I just drove about an hour to IKEA and picked up they run around 70 each and are pretty easy to put together. I am fairly happy with them but I couldn't fit some of my larger pieces inside so i had to put on the very top.

I just drove about an hour to IKEA and picked up they run around 70 each and are pretty easy to put together. I am fairly happy with them but I couldn't fit some of my larger pieces inside so i had to put on the very top.

What's the clearance between the shelves? and what is the overall height and width?

Hey guys, I have a question not specifically relating to PAX but I'm having some custom shelves built and I was wondering what you would recommend is a good size for depth on average so that I don't have issues displaying big statues (Hulk types) in the future.

16" would be ideal but is it too small? Do I need to go 18" or deeper which might not be possible? (yes that's what she said). :dunno

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have a question not specifically relating to PAX but I'm having some custom shelves built and I was wondering what you would recommend is a good size for depth on average so that I don't have issues displaying big statues (Hulk types) in the future.

16" would be ideal but is it too small? Do I need to go 18" or deeper which might not be possible? (yes that's what she said). :dunno

The PAX shelf is almost 23" and it's just right for the larger Cinemaquette bases. That being said, I would definitely go with a 23" or larger depth in case you end up collecting CM's or LSF's. The Doom LSF base looks huge. If you're going with custom shelves you might as well build them to accommodate anything (except life size figures of course).

I finally was able to start hanging my Bestas. Was slightly nerve wracking trying to get this all up on the wall but I'm pretty happy with what its going to look like.

IMG_00000224_zps4c5b185b.jpg
IMG_00000225_zpsa5390b04.jpg

Back