Display cases info

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jstep13 can you post the link for those Pax that you are using. I have no clue where to find them. Thank you

Great info, please keep us updated in your process please.

Btw, is that dog from Tin Tin? Which company makes it, very cute.

yes the completed one is the 60" pax, i am building the 80" pax and taking it 1 step further. There is absolutely no comparison, you can fit at MINIMUM twice as many statues than a besta of the same width. To make it look good, put a riser for the back row (I use a $15 target wooden shoe rack) for a nice museum display look.

For example below pax cube is only 29" wide, about 1.4x a besta cube, but i can fit 4 relatively demanding statue in there with ease. That single leionidas would take up 1x besta cube alone as mentioned. I can probably squeeze 5x statue in there, but it wont look as good.

The pax really is a godsend for us 1/4 collectors, there is nothing else like it on the market except custom carpentry. Another great thing is it's 90" tall not ~70" like the besta, so it gives you max height space as well. You can easily fit 3 rows of LSF statues or 4 rows of 1/4 scale.

I will post specs of my 80" customization once it's complete and confirmed to work, dont want people to copy it if it turns out to be an epic fail :lol For the easier customization you can look at a few pages back for the 60" pax i already did, really no additional work just replace the same size panels only thing is it's hardcoded to 3 static shelves of the same height.

paxtemp.jpg

paxlotr1.jpg

Once I get my basement finished, I am definitely going the Pax route. So much nicer and bigger than my bestas.

Gagaliya has the ultimate blueprint for everything PAX related and more. Just click on this link, then click on the PAX link he left under "how to build your PAX" #1, change the measurement on IKEA's website for the correct PAX size you need (mine is 78"x25"x79) and "wah-lah"

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4693173&postcount=9

Thank you man!...this is the ultimate setup...like how clean and neat the pieces look on those pax. Congrats!!! your setup is awesome.

Im contemplating going the 112 Inch wide route. An extra 19" shelf space on either side helps!

I'm wondering if the door acrylic panel would be TOO Big? Can I get some feedback gagayila? jstep? Would it work? I just want one clear panel per door.

Hey guys, finally got around to finish this up tonight. Now that it's done, i would recommend single panel pax over my previous setup (unless you just dont like the look), it offers so much more flexibility as you can fully adjust each shelf and it has 90" height! For example set a 45" height for lsf then 15" right above for HT dolls etc.. It is also actually easier to install

For the single panel custom pax my two biggest fears were the acrylic panel wont fit properly, or even if it fits it will sag. We are talking about a 90"x40" acrylic panel, which is gigantic! Luckily everything went perfect and there is no sagging or any kind of issues.

Full spec below for anyone looking to do something similar, i am not going to duplicate details in my previous post such as lighting etc.., please see this link on those items: https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4693173&postcount=9

-------------------------------

How to build your single panel 80"x90" Ikea PAX

NOTE: all measurements here are specific to the 80"x90" pax ONLY, do not copy them if you are choosing a different size. For another size, you will need to buy the sliding doors first, assemble them, then measure precisely to get the dimensions for the acrylic panels.

1) Select the correct PAX base (link: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79894902/#/S49894847).

Use the drop down to select the correct width/height: 78"x25"x93"

Note: Depends on the color, the measurement displayed will vary slightly, i dont know why ikea does that but it's fine as they all use the same sliding doors.

2) Order your custom display panels. (link: https://www.professionalplastics.com/PLEXIGLASS-ACRYLICSHEET-CAST?&search_id=1013418 )

- This step is CRITICAL, make sure you follow all the items below exactly.
- I ordered from professionalplastics.com, they are by far the cheapest around include shipping. But takes 2 weeks to ship.
- Make sure you order CELL CAST acrylic (linked) NOT extruded as I suggested in my old setup, because it's more rigid than extrude, given the size of the panel this is very important. Another advantage is the clarity is better but also slightly more expensive. I also selected a slightly thicker size for added rigidity.
- Exact measurement: 2X .187" THICK X 35.375" X 86.3125" @ +/-0.062 TOLERANCE

3) Select the shelf (link: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30215122/#/60203132 )

You need at least 3 pack (for 6 shelves), but given now you can fully adjust the height, i would buy 4 pack (8 shelves). Dont use the glass shelves, they too risky.

select the correct width: 39"x22" and match color to step 1)

4) Select the lighting(optional): (link: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40163844/ )

Select the correct width: 36" see my previous linked post on why this led is so great and the required accessories needed.

5) Install your PAX!

Follow the instructions except for the sliding door steps where it ask you to install the 4x horizontal beams in the two sliding doors, skip them! Just install the frame only and secure the giant acrylic panel in it! It may move slightly which is fine, in the later step you will completely secure it with those rubber plugs.

This is definitely a 2 person job as you need to align the acrylic panel into the little opening on all 4 sides of the door frame.

6) Post pictures :)

---------

COST

1x ikea Pax: $500
2x cellcast acrylic panel: $280 shipped
4x ikea shelves: $100
8x ikea KOMPLEMENT led lighting: $280
Various accessories: $40
Not constantly running out of shelf space: priceless
----
TOTAL: ~$1200

The cost here may seems a bit high at first, but if you consider how many 1/4 statues you can actually fit in this 1 setup compared to a besta or other curios, it is a bargain! Also how good it looks.

--------------------

PHOTOS: All photos are taken through the closed acrylic doors, you can see how crystal clear those panels are - much better than glass, almost 100% light pass through.

I also included some of the shelves to show the amount of statues you can actually fit in 1.

Note: in person, the lighting is no way close to this orange, it's the camera.

newpax.jpg

The one on the left is the 80" single panel, right is the old 60" fixed 3 panel setup
newpax1.jpg

newpax2.jpg

top shelf almost complete, pending mythos boba fett, attakus jawa
middle shelf pending black widow pf, and hulk maquette(will be placed in the back, hope depth is enough)
lower shelf is still being worked on, pcs dredd will go there
newpax4.jpg

top shelf all girly pf, pending pcs chun li & baby doll pf
middle shelf is my most prized setup, pending 2x hobbit maquette to complete fellowship
lower shelf pending arthas to complete blizzard set
bottom shelf pending portal 2 turret and some prop replicas as i get them.
newpax5.jpg

lotrfinal1.jpg

left top all guys, pending halo pf, sagat pf, stormshadow
left middle empty pending dc justice league pfs, has my gf dog playing piano music box in there currently :slap
left bottom optimus prime, one and only!
right top all my favorite fantasy statues - complete
right middle horror shelf, pending lady death pf
right bottom lotr bad guys, complete.
newpax6.jpg

Last edited:
Great info, please keep us updated in your process please.

Btw, is that dog from Tin Tin? Which company makes it, very cute.

yep that's snowy :) made by weta (wetanz.com or one of many resellers). Love that dog!

Im contemplating going the 112 Inch wide route. An extra 19" shelf space on either side helps!

I'm wondering if the door acrylic panel would be TOO Big? Can I get some feedback gagayila? jstep? Would it work? I just want one clear panel per door.

checkout my first post, do NOT go above 80" wide version, the wider version has bad shelf arrangements not suited for display, if you want wider just order 2x pax. Acrylic panels have to be measured exactly.

gaga 3 last things I was hoping you could include in your description when you get around to it over the next week or so

1) Are the 2 large acrylic panels the exact same size as the glass panels Ikea use? If not can you include the measurement. No doubt you were going to include this but wanted to make sure.

2) Does it matter how thick the acrylic is. Do you think 3mm or 4.5mm thick would be better?

3) does it matter if the acrylic is UV resistant?

Thanks again for the info

pls see my post for 1) and 2). For 3) it depends on if you place your pax with direct sunlight shining on it or not ( i hope answer is no). If it's just ambient nondirect sun light absolutely no need for uv resist, but if direct sunlight get uv resist (or even better move the pax)

If you guys have questions, feel free to reply to this thread please. Do not pm me as my inbox always get filled, pain.

Last edited:
Amazing work gagaliya, bravo :clap

And you are correct the single panel does look amazingly better if you are going to have > 3 display sections, per side. I'm definitely going to go that route once I get my 3rd PAX for my 1/6 figures as I will have more than three display sections on each I'm guess 4-5 for 1/6 figures. I noticed you went brown this time for the newest PAX? You don't mind the different color mix I take it? I think for 1/6 I'm going to go white instead of black to avoid figure details getting lost in the shadows even with lighting.

Thanks for the update!!!

Wow that looks amazing!!!

Bravo is right

Ok questions...

1. Is The reason you say that the 112" shelf design is strange is because the shelves are divided vertically into two sections of 39" and two of 19"?

My collection is only 1/6 so I'm not worried about the vertical breaks in my shelf space as I will only need big shelves for bat mobiles. Also I imagine that the acrylic panels you ordered would be fine for the longer 112" display?

2. When you built the frames for the doors you just simply left out the dividers that would've split it into three right? The doors don't appear to have pieces missing where those brackets went? Can you take a close up pic?

3. Can the doors hold a thicker acrylic?

Thanks again for doing this. Just awesome! Really looks great!

Beautiful - really nice alternative to the Besta. Love how clear the acrylic doors are.

I also like how tall they are -- earthquake proof because they are already too tall to tip over.

Wow that looks amazing!!!

Bravo is right

Ok questions...

1. Is The reason you say that the 112" shelf design is strange is because the shelves are divided vertically into two sections of 39" and two of 19"?

My collection is only 1/6 so I'm not worried about the vertical breaks in my shelf space as I will only need big shelves for bat mobiles. Also I imagine that the acrylic panels you ordered would be fine for the longer 112" display?

2. When you built the frames for the doors you just simply left out the dividers that would've split it into three right? The doors don't appear to have pieces missing where those brackets went? Can you take a close up pic?

3. Can the doors hold a thicker acrylic?

Thanks again for doing this. Just awesome! Really looks great!

sure guys no prob.

1) yeah it will look odd with see through panels, but if you okie with that, then yes just order the acrylic panel with the size that matches the 112" sliding door.

2) that's exactly it, just leave out the horizontal dividers, the opening for those dividers are on the inside of the frame, it is not visible so no issues.

3) i already increased thickness 1 level above the ikea glass thickness, i wouldnt increase it any further because then you will have problem putting those rubber plugs between the panel and frame as the opening will be even narrower.

The key is measure the sliding door frame correctly, so your acrylic panel is slightly larger on all 4 sides so they are secured inside the door's opening and wont fallout. Then you secure them with rubber plugs all around and it will be a very tight fit that's completely secure.

Thanks for the info again gaga. Really helpful stuff. So I've got it down now using your instructions. Still going the 78 3/4" width, but I have to go the 79 1/4" height one not 92 7/8" height. I'm an inch or 2 off height-wise. It will be same measurement except height, which is still good. How should I got about measuring the height? I want to make it as accurate as ur 92 7/8" height. Thanks

Hi GAga. I notice your new display is much brighter and much better visibility. Is that bc of acryllic and better lighting?

I also notice your older display had extra light on the outside of it? To better illuminate it?

Thanks for the info again gaga. Really helpful stuff. So I've got it down now using your instructions. Still going the 78 3/4" width, but I have to go the 79 1/4" height one not 92 7/8" height. I'm an inch or 2 off height-wise. It will be same measurement except height, which is still good. How should I got about measuring the height? I want to make it as accurate as ur 92 7/8" height. Thanks

To be 100% accurate, you have to order the frame/sliding door first from ikea, then assemble one of the sliding doors(without the glass), then measure the width/length exactly, as well as the little crevice opening in the frame where you secure the panel. Bottomline is to be patient and get the sliding door frame so you know exactly the dimension for the acrylic panels. Last thing you want is to spend $$ on the acrylic panel and have it arrive to be incorrect size.

Hi GAga. I notice your new display is much brighter and much better visibility. Is that bc of acryllic and better lighting?

I also notice your older display had extra light on the outside of it? To better illuminate it?

Nah the light on the outside is actually the main light - ikea komplement led strip - the one i was raving about a few pages back how good it is. All the shelves except the lowest ones on the new pax also have the same komplement led strip.

Those round lights you see on the low shelves are junk, so many wires & create uneven shadow/light spots. I left them there because too lazy to pull them out for lower shelves. All the main shelves have the 36" komplement led strip.

The extra brightness you noticed is purely due to the lighter walnut color i used for the new pax as oppose to the dark brown color in the old one. Dark brown has better contrast for bright color statues (like red/yellow etc..) but it's just too dark in general, walnut i feel is the best it still has that nice classy look but also make everything much brighter.

Of course if you are going for all modern style, all white pax is good too, with those komplement led strip, it will be super bright.

Last edited:
Hi Gaga,

Does the acrylic show scratches when all the lights are turn on? I hear acrylic are more prone to scratches. Is there a glass panel that has good transparent visibility as good as the acrylic?

Thanks for sharing with us mate.

Hi Gaga,

Does the acrylic show scratches when all the lights are turn on? I hear acrylic are more prone to scratches. Is there a glass panel that has good transparent visibility as good as the acrylic?

Thanks for sharing with us mate.

nah it's crystal clear, i have the old one for almost a year now, no issues. And cell cast should be even better. If you shine a high beam torch on it you can see some tiny scratches just like glass but it's not visible at all in normal viewing.

It's a really bad idea to go glass for such a large piece, it will be 2-3x as heavy to start with, and you must get tempered glass. Also to have the same clarity you need starphire glass that cost twice as much.

Definitely go with cell cast acrylic.

Thanks for the tutorial gaga :1-1:

I ordered my acrylic today and I did notice that you can save almost half in shipping if you ship to a business.

Real helpful info. :)

nah it's crystal clear, i have the old one for almost a year now, no issues. And cell cast should be even better. If you shine a high beam torch on it you can see some tiny scratches just like glass but it's not visible at all in normal viewing.

It's a really bad idea to go glass for such a large piece, it will be 2-3x as heavy to start with, and you must get tempered glass. Also to have the same clarity you need starphire glass that cost twice as much.

Definitely go with cell cast acrylic.

Back