Display cases info

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What ikea doors are you using? Is the same ones from your previous PAX setup, only you found someway to remove the middle dividers?
I liked the first setup very much, but I have hesitated to do it becasue of the 3 shelf limitation. Im am very interested on how you modified the sliding doors to be Full panel.

Me Too! I want to have four levels as well.

Hey gaga, thanks for the info. I am sure you will be covering this in your update post, but I was just wondering if the acrylic you use (instead of the glass that comes with the pax) for the 80" pax is the exact same size as the pax glass insert or a bit different? Just want to get the size right if I try it. Thanks

BIG shout out to gagaliya for his Pax idea, especially the custom acrylic windows. I don't mean to sound dramatic but he kind of revolutionized the way I display my collectibles in my man cave. PAX looks so much better than a wall of Bestas imo (which is what I use to have)...

I was up ^&*$ creek without a paddle as I moved from a house that had vaulted ceilings to a house that had regular ceilings so I lost a lot of vertical space I was using for display and had nowhere to put my larger busts and statues.

With his helpful post, I was able to buy 2 of the large PAX and this is what I have now...

003-16.jpg

004-14.jpg

001-16.jpg

Thanks again for posting that very helpful info!

My next project will be to buy a 3rd PAX to display my 100+ 1/6 figure collection...

Last edited:
BIG shout out to gagaliya for his Pax idea, especially the custom acrylic windows. I don't mean to sound dramatic but he kind of revolutionized the way I display my collectibles in my man cave. PAX looks so much better than Bestas imo...

I was up ^&*$ creek without a paddle as I moved from a house that had vaulted ceilings to a house that had regular ceilings so I lost a lot of vertical space I was using for display and had nowhere to put my larger busts and statues.

With his helpful post, I was able to buy 2 of the large PAX and this is what I have now...

003-16.jpg

004-14.jpg

001-16.jpg

My next project will be to buy a 3rd PAX to display my 100+ 1/6 figure collection...

Hey Jstep, what are the dimensions for your PAX? That looks like the 80" wide one no? How much did you pay for one pax WITH the acrylic panel? Did you try have a solid acrylic panel instead of one divided by three?

The rough estimate is 80x79x23. Keep in mind you buy 2 PAX that form the one big one. You have to buy 2 to be able to buy the doors. The grand total I paid for each PAX display (without lighting which I'm still working on) was roughly $700.

The break down was $150 for each "bookcase", $20 for each pair of shelves, $200 just for the doors (which sucks because you don't even use the glass so you're basically paying all that money just for the door frame :/ ) and then roughly $150 for the acrylic panels. If you go gagaliya's route and buy the addt'l nice LED lighting then you'll be paying an addt'l $300 for one 80" PAX lighting.

I guess you could go one solid acylic panel but I personally didn't try it because A) I like the look better having it separated by 3 but that's just personal preference...it just looks "sharper" to me B) You would have to have accurate measurements on your own with no reference. Not a big deal for most but I've never been great with super accurate measurements and all I had to do was measure the glass panels that were included so it was fool proof for me. If you do go the one acrylic panel route and you somehow measure wrong, you're obviously SOL as you can't exchange the acrylic panel as they custom cut them for you C) Cost. I'm sure it's more expensive having two large shipped vs. six smaller shipped

Hope this makes sense...

The rough estimate is 80x79x23. Keep in mind you buy 2 PAX that form the one big one. You have to buy 2 to be able to buy the doors. The grand total I paid for each PAX display (without lighting which I'm still working on) was roughly $700.

The break down was $150 for each "bookcase", $20 for each pair of shelves, $200 just for the doors (which sucks because you don't even use the glass so you're basically paying all that money just for the door frame :/ ) and then roughly $150 for the acrylic panels. If you go gagaliya's route and buy the addt'l nice LED lighting then you'll be paying an addt'l $300 for one 80" PAX lighting.

I guess you could go one solid acylic panel but I personally didn't try it because A) I like the look better having it separated by 3 but that's just personal preference...it just looks "sharper" to me B) You would have to have accurate measurements on your own with no reference. Not a big deal for most but I've never been great with super accurate measurements and all I had to do was measure the glass panels that were included so it was fool proof for me. If you do go the one acrylic panel route and you somehow measure wrong, you're obviously SOL as you can't exchange the acrylic panel as they custom cut them for you C) Cost. I'm sure it's more expensive having two large shipped vs. six smaller shipped

Hope this makes sense...

Totally makes sense...

I do have a couple extra questions...

The main reason I'm thinking of one solid panel of acrylic is because I want to have 4 shelves instead of 3 and my collection is entirely 1/6 figures. I'm wondering then if the doors you bought can be configured for one panel? meaning can you take out the three dividers?

Yes it could be configured to one panel as you could easily leave out the 2 middle horizontal pieces of frame.

I'm not sure if the integrity of the door will remain meaning if you were to accidentally push in the one large acrylic panel, it could slip out of the frame and possibly cave in. I'm pretty sure you would be ok with this attempt but you do want to consider these situations as it's not made for one panel.

The route I will probably take if/when I get around to getting a third PAX for 1/6 is to leave the 3 panels and just buy risers (or make a custom "half" rear shelf) to prop up the figures in the rear. That's probably what I'll try when I get serious.

Yes it could be configured to one panel as you could easily leave out the 2 middle horizontal pieces of frame.

I'm not sure if the integrity of the door will remain meaning if you were to accidentally push in the one large acrylic panel, it could slip out of the frame and possibly cave in. I'm pretty sure you would be ok with this attempt but you do want to consider these situations as it's not made for one panel.

The route I will probably take if/when I get around to getting a third PAX for 1/6 is to leave the 3 panels and just buy risers (or make a custom "half" rear shelf) to prop up the figures in the rear. That's probably what I'll try when I get serious.

Because my collection is so Diorama centric I have a vision for custom-making dioramas that perfectly fit the shelf dimensions. That's why 4 shelves would work so well.

I'm hoping Gaga gets to his soon to see how he faired.

Ah I see...yeah I'm hoping as more people buy these we can getter a better sense as to the potential for 1/6 displays. I can't wait to display the tumbler and 89 Batmobile in it..but as it stands right now, it's perfect for statues and busts

Ah I see...yeah I'm hoping as more people buy these we can getter a better sense as to the potential for 1/6 displays. I can't wait to display the tumbler and 89 Batmobile in it..but as it stands right now, it's perfect for statues and busts

This is part of my idea! Creating a street scene Dio with roadway and building facade behind it. Street lamps too! There's also someone in the granas thread trying to figure out how to remote light and power the tumbler... which would be awesome!

BIG shout out to gagaliya for his Pax idea, especially the custom acrylic windows. I don't mean to sound dramatic but he kind of revolutionized the way I display my collectibles in my man cave. PAX looks so much better than a wall of Bestas imo (which is what I use to have)...

no prob bud :) Very nice job! I was in the exact same boat as you after wasting a lot of $$ on the display cabinets with nothing to show for it, those worthless curio/besta would get filled up after just a few 1/4 statues & nothing fits optimus prime.

For lighting, there is no better choice than ikea KOMPLEMENT (make sure you get the correct length that goes across entire shelf). I know those are expensive at $30+ each but worth every penny. It's 1 single strip you install at the edge of the cabinet with 1 wire on the side only, very clean look especially for the top shelves where the ceiling is very visible. The led is also specifically designed to tilt ~45 degrees downward to evenly light up the entire space while blocking any direct light from glaring in your eyes (you dont actually see the light)

I tried some of the other light pucks etc.. for the new pax and those looked horrible with wires all over the place on the shelf ceiling, also for the higher shelves if you look you see the lights directly, causing uncomfortable glare and remove focus from the statue, the lighting spread is also uneven causing shadows etc.. Ended up tearing everything out and getting 8x 36" KOMPLEMENT, there is just no comparison.

-------------------------

Just got done putting together the 80" pax with the two giant panels, very happy with the result. Will post details/photos in a few days after putting the statues back. Been a crazy couple weeks.

Last edited:
btw jstep13, did you ever manage to align the sliding door to the cabinet perfectly? i cant for the life of me align it correctly, the top would align but the buttom there is always a small gap. It's not a big deal as noone notice it, but just bothers me. This happened to me on both pax installations, and i followed the instruction to make sure everything is level.

btw jstep13, did you ever manage to align the sliding door to the cabinet perfectly? i cant for the life of me align it correctly, the top would align but the buttom there is always a small gap. It's not a big deal as noone notice it, but just bothers me. This happened to me on both pax installations, and i followed the instruction to make sure everything is level.

Did you manage to do the single acrylic panel per door?

Just got done putting together the 80" pax with the two giant panels, very happy with the result. Will post details/photos in a few days after putting the statues back. Been a crazy couple weeks.

^^^

Can't wait to see it, probably going to do the single door installation when I eventually get a PAX.

No I have the gap as well, I don't think they designed it correctly to not have a gap. It is afterall a closet so I don't think they thought about making it close to air tight for us collectors. I have noticed that Ikea regularly has errors in their instructions so you have to kind of take it with a grain of salt.

For example, it's better to attach the bottom metal trim after attaching the doors (the instructions has it listed the other way around). It was was easier that way than trying to hook it from the bottom to the top. Took me a second to realize it would just be easier to add the trim after the fact...

-------------------------

Ok...

But I don't see anything in teh above post about the single acrylic panel door... right? Am i crazy?

He mentions it here in the bold...two giant panels, one large panel each door...

gaga 3 last things I was hoping you could include in your description when you get around to it over the next week or so

1) Are the 2 large acrylic panels the exact same size as the glass panels Ikea use? If not can you include the measurement. No doubt you were going to include this but wanted to make sure.

2) Does it matter how thick the acrylic is. Do you think 3mm or 4.5mm thick would be better?

3) does it matter if the acrylic is UV resistant?

Thanks again for the info

Back