Display cases info

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched a Youtube video of a PAX being assembled. I can see now how one piece of glass can be used, but there is still one issue. Each door frame has small pegs into which the dividers fit. Not sure if they can be removed?

2015-02-11_1830.png

Yes, they can be removed. You're left with just the outer frame, no dividers or the little connecting pieces.

I'm looking to light up the 2 Pax units I bought with some led ribbon lights, and I'm wondering if anyone would chime in with a recommendation on which type I should use. Should I go with 3528 led ribbon lights or 5050 led ribbon lights?

Update:

I ended up not using the magnetic catchers as it would involve drilling into the acrylic that I just didn't want to risk, so to keep it closed I simply used about 6 white Velcro strips and it seems to work just fine.

I also decided not to go with the Ikea lighting to save some money and went ahead and bought some LED lights off amazon. I went with the "Frequently Bought Together" combo as well.

10968327_10205280712608585_1264801144584191828_n.jpg

This pax is done, and now to begin working on the dual pax in the coming weeks/months.

I ended up not using the magnetic catchers as it would involve drilling into the acrylic

For the future: You can glue magnets or thin steel plates to either the back or front of the acrylic and put magnets (rare earth (Neodymium)) in the cabinet edge alone. No drilling into the acrylic required nor recommended.

Thanks, lewisnfro86! Your post ended up answering my question. 3528 led lights will do just fine.

For the future: You can glue magnets or thin steel plates to either the back or front of the acrylic and put magnets (rare earth (Neodymium)) in the cabinet edge alone. No drilling into the acrylic required nor recommended.

I actually thought about gluing it, but didn't have anything on hand. I did try to use something similar to poster strips, but the magnets wouldn't behave well with it. What type of glue would you recommend for sticking onto the acrylic?

Thanks, lewisnfro86! Your post ended up answering my question. 3528 led lights will do just fine.

No problem, glad I was able to help. :)

I actually thought about gluing it, but didn't have anything on hand. I did try to use something similar to poster strips, but the magnets wouldn't behave well with it. What type of glue would you recommend for sticking onto the acrylic?

I think a little bit of urethane-based glue like Gorilla glue would work. Cyanoacrylate would probably work as well, but it might be brittle enough to crack and fall apart with repeated opening/closing of the doors. I'd probably use double-sided tape however. Tesa (killer red tape) or 3M VHB.

My double pax that I may need to sell. We're looking to buy a new home and my new mancave may have a lower ceiling.

Also don't forget to reinforce your shelves

My double pax that I may need to sell. We're looking to buy a new home and my new mancave may have a lower ceiling.

Also don't forget to reinforce your shelves

Interesting, what did you use to reinforce your shelves and how much more can it hold? I don't think I've seen that method before either although I am new to all this. What I did with mine is just brace it with 2 L shaped braces (front left, and back right) I picked up from home depot. I'm only holding 1/6 so this method might be sufficient, but I am curious about yours and might switch to if needed.

Interesting, what did you use to reinforce your shelves and how much more can it hold? I don't think I've seen that method before either although I am new to all this. What I did with mine is just brace it with 2 L shaped braces (front left, and back right) I picked up from home depot. I'm only holding 1/6 so this method might be sufficient, but I am curious about yours and might switch to if needed.

I got the idea from an earlier post. It wasn't really intended to support more weight, but more just to support basic items. For example, the Batman Premium Format placed in the middle by itself causes the shelf to bow down.

I'm looking at displaying my Green Lantern PF and Sinestro EX (with the construct for added height) in a DETOLF .. would they fit?? If not, I'm probably going to get a BESTA. I'm new to this whole display deal and have those two statues, and some smaller Green Lantern ones and a lot of busts.

I'm also thinking about a Billy (BILLY Bookcase - birch veneer - IKEA) .. because I have a birch desk and bookshelf already.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

I'm looking at displaying my Green Lantern PF and Sinestro EX (with the construct for added height) in a DETOLF .. would they fit?? If not, I'm probably going to get a BESTA. I'm new to this whole display deal and have those two statues, and some smaller Green Lantern ones and a lot of busts.

I'm also thinking about a Billy (BILLY Bookcase - birch veneer - IKEA) .. because I have a birch desk and bookshelf already.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Billy is not going to work for most PFs...too shallow. I can't say for sure heightwise but I think GL and Sinestro will fit either on the bottom or easily on top of a detolf but you would probably have to set only oneshelf halfway up.

Sinestro is listed as 34.5" with the construct. That's what has me worried. So, the DETOLF shelves are adjustable?

Doing more research, Sinestro won't fit in a DETOLF (even if a shelf removed) with the construct. So, he'd have to be on top of the DETOLF.

The BILLY is 11" deep. I actually have a BILLY now that I use as a bookshelf and my GL fits nice on there. The color is a big pro because the rest of my office furniture (desk and bookshelf) are birch, but you can't have doors on the BILLY.

The BESTA is 15" deep, so it would fit a lot better, and can have glass doors, but only comes in white. It's between the BILLY and BESTA for me then. Color, or glass doors... that's where I'm at now lol.

BILLY would match the rest of my stuff in my office and would fit Sinestro and GL fine. But glass doors are awesome to protect them. Decisions, decisions.

Doing more research, Sinestro won't fit in a DETOLF (even if a shelf removed) with the construct. So, he'd have to be on top of the DETOLF.

The BILLY is 11" deep. I actually have a BILLY now that I use as a bookshelf and my GL fits nice on there. The color is a big pro because the rest of my office furniture (desk and bookshelf) are birch, but you can't have doors on the BILLY.

The BESTA is 15" deep, so it would fit a lot better, and can have glass doors, but only comes in white. It's between the BILLY and BESTA for me then. Color, or glass doors... that's where I'm at now lol.

BILLY would match the rest of my stuff in my office and would fit Sinestro and GL fine. But glass doors are awesome to protect them. Decisions, decisions.

You can absolutely get doors for the Billy, its just a matter if they will close with the statues on the shelves or not.

Back