Display cases info

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice Unknown Hero! I agree and wish the risers weren't as deep. It really limits what you can display in front of it. I left out the two outer supports under the riser and just left the center vertical support. That way a round base or something similar can sit partially underneath the riser without the supports being in the way.

Has anybody had any experience using Uline industrial shelving ( e.g. Boltless Shelving, Particle Board Shelving in Stock - ULINE )? I'm using something similar for one case (from Home Depot) and am generally happy with it, but I'm curious about the quality of the Uline pieces.

I have something similar to that in my storage room, not sure if it is uline, though. I bought it at Home Depot.

It's definitely strong enough, and you can adjust the shelves. If it has the look you want, it should easily hold your statues.

Has anybody had any experience using Uline industrial shelving ( e.g. Boltless Shelving, Particle Board Shelving in Stock - ULINE )? I'm using something similar for one case (from Home Depot) and am generally happy with it, but I'm curious about the quality of the Uline pieces.

Uline's stuff is good. I use all there products in my warehouse and home storage. You can trust them. But those shelves and boards are HEAVY and the shipping and handling will cost a lot if your only buy 1 or 2. And you'd better have a loading dock cause they come in pallets. Picture shows what I have in my basement. They can hold more than what you need and super heavy duty, you can even sleep on it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418263082.590349.jpg

15% off all PAX systems at IKEA until 01/27/15! ... Bestas too for that matter. (for Ikea family members.. free to join)

15% off all PAX systems at IKEA until 01/27/15! ... Bestas too for that matter. (for Ikea family members.. free to join)

Wow. You can save hundreds if you're going to get couple sets of PAXs. I would go get more shelves and led strips.

Toy is my life!

Only if I seen this thread earlier, I could have saved money from the Besta's. Those Besta's would fill up too fast while not being able to display a lot of PF's. This is what I am thinking to get. Please give input.

-Pax White Wardrobe $161.50 198.952.83
-Pax Sliding Door $170 402.224.19
-Komplement Shelf (8) $102 902.779.61
-Komplement Riser (2) $34 402.074.71
-Acrylic Panel (2) ???

So at least I will have to spend $467.50 - that is not including the acrylic panels and lights. It is expensive now but will be worth it in the long run.

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that contributed to this thread. I recently found it, and I too have spent hundreds of dollars trying to get a good display.

I recently picked up 3 Pax Wardrobes; two 29x93 and one of the wider 39x78. Unfortunately, Ikea does not make frames for single wardrobes, so I had to think of a different method for attaching acrylic. It's a little ghetto, but I ended up just adding 3 door hinges to the acrylic and mounted it directly onto the wardrobe itself. Turned out pretty clean. Waiting for payday before I go out and buy some lights. So just giving someone else an idea in case they run into a similar issue.

Another note, the only downside is that the acrylic mounted this way does not stay closed on its own, so I plan on getting some magnetic door catchers to keep it closed. So for the time being, I just have it closed with a few small strips of painters tape.

Sorry for the poor image quality. I'll try to take better ones when I get home.

10429303_10205223590260562_7702871842050529240_n.jpg

Looks great lewisnfro86. Good idea with the hinges. Let us know how the magnets work for you. :clap

Looks great lewisnfro86. Good idea with the hinges. Let us know how the magnets work for you. :clap

Will do. I purchased all the magnetic catchers already, just trying to figure out the best way to approach it. It looks like I will have to drill into the acrylic again, though :(. Going to see if clear tape is sufficient and strong enough to hold the magnet that goes onto the acrylic, otherwise I'll just drill into it again.

:panic: That is amazing! What type of doors are those? They look to be solid glass from top to bottom. I'm used to all the Pax doors having frame borders, usually 4 per door making 8 panels.

Not sure if you meant to quote someone else, but just in case it was intended for me... It's a single sheet of acrylic that I ordered from my local plastic company done here in Orange County. It was pretty cheap ($74 with tax). The whole sheet was 39x78 with a 1/8 thickness. Ordered it on Monday and it was ready to pick up the next day. Great customer service and recommend them if you are in the area.

Not sure if you meant to quote someone else, but just in case it was intended for me... It's a single sheet of acrylic that I ordered from my local plastic company done here in Orange County. It was pretty cheap ($74 with tax). The whole sheet was 39x78 with a 1/8 thickness. Ordered it on Monday and it was ready to pick up the next day. Great customer service and recommend them if you are in the area.

So each of the two sliding doors on a Pax unit do in fact fit one tall piece of glass each? I thought they were multiple glass panels in sleeves, like 6-8 individual pieces of glass each.
pax_doors.jpg

So each of the two sliding doors on a Pax unit do in fact fit one tall piece of glass each? I thought they were multiple glass panels in sleeves, like 6-8 individual pieces of glass each.
View attachment 165154

From what I have read on the threads people have posted here is that by default the pax frames do come with individual glass, but the dividers can be removed which is what most people have been doing. Then you just simply take measurements and put in a solid acrylic panel. Unfortunately for me, I was unable to install a single frame as Ikea only makes them for double, so I had to just use the acrylic and mount it with hinges.

From what I have read on the threads people have posted here is that by default the pax frames do come with individual glass, but the dividers can be removed which is what most people have been doing. Then you just simply take measurements and put in a solid acrylic panel. Unfortunately for me, I was unable to install a single frame as Ikea only makes them for double, so I had to just use the acrylic and mount it with hinges.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of the dividers being removable. That actually settles it for me. One medium-sized Pax unit will hold all 6 items I am planning to get. Gonna plan to a trip to the nearest store and see the doors in person!

View attachment 165154

I watched a Youtube video of a PAX being assembled. I can see now how one piece of glass can be used, but there is still one issue. Each door frame has small pegs into which the dividers fit. Not sure if they can be removed?

2015-02-11_1830.png

I watched a Youtube video of a PAX being assembled.

I remember photos showing the process here on the forum, but I can't remember if they were in this thread. They should be all you need. If you have an IKEA close by, a quick trip will also answer al your questions because you can inspect the panels in person.

Back