Disney Takes Over Future Rights to Indiana Jones Films

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol :lol

But seriously, though, they could always go in a different direction with some sort of CG or 2D animated feature. You might not get all of the face melting, heart ripping, rapidly aging, etc., but it could capture the adventurous spirit, althewhile giving parents a venue to introduce their kids to one of the greatest fictional characters of the twentieth century.

But seriously, though, they could always go in a different direction with some sort of CG or 2D animated feature. You might not get all of the face melting, heart ripping, rapidly aging, etc., but it could capture the adventurous spirit, althewhile giving parents a venue to introduce their kids to one of the greatest fictional characters of the twentieth century.

Indiana Jones wasn't a comic book character, a character from a novel or a radio show adapted to the big screen. He was created in 1980 for the first time ever and was played by Harrison Ford. Ford sorta is Indiana Jones. It's not like some legacy character (again, Superman, Bond, Holmes or Batman) where the hat gets passed down to person to person. No. It started as a feature length film and has been nothing but Ford's character.

Yup. Every novel, comic book, video game, young Indy, Disney Stuntshow, the way he's drawn on South Park, all Harrison Ford likeness/impressions.

Not a new 52 Video Game and a tv show wheres he's an emo kid hunting artifacts in 2075 running at the same time.

None of which makes a warm squirt of piss difference in what the future holds. But, hey, burn it all down, man.

He has an extremely valid point. KOTCS without Ford would be box office suicide, even with Bradley Cooper cracking the whip. And that's EXACTLY what a reboot would be. If a movie doesn't make a squirt of piss at the box office (at least double it's budget), in all likelyhood, they'll shelve the license as unprofitable.

He has an extremely valid point. KOTCS without Ford would be box office suicide, even with Bradley Cooper cracking the whip. And that's EXACTLY what a reboot would be. If a movie doesn't make a squirt of piss at the box office (at least double it's budget), in all likelyhood, they'll shelve the license as unprofitable.

what I dont understand is why they need to make movies so expensive. there are examples of good, great movies that were not hundreds of millions of dollars.

Good writing and good characters will always be a lot better than extravagant sets and expensive CGI. I just don't get why Disney loves to burn so much money making these types of movies.

what I dont understand is why they need to make movies so expensive. there are examples of good, great movies that were not hundreds of millions of dollars.

Good writing and good characters will always be a lot better than extravagant sets and expensive CGI. I just don't get why Disney loves to burn so much money making these types of movies.

Today's mentality is, "How do we top the last flick?" vs. "How do we add another solid entry into the annals of this great franchise." And we have the ADD generation as an audience to thank for that for baiting Hollywood into that mentality.

An Indy movie without Ford is just at best King Solomon's Mines, at worst Romancing the Stone. :lol

Mike-Ehrmantraut-Shake-My-Head-Gif-On-Breaking-Bad.gif

It all boils down to two terrible options.

Change what Indy is at it's core and you end up with Nathan Drake/Rick O'Connel cosplaying Indy.

Don't and you have Bradley Cooper doing a Harrison Ford impression for 2 hours.

No thanks. I'm content with 3 movies, but hey, I don't need to make billions of dollars a year to justify my life.

Today's mentality is, "How do we top the last flick?" vs. "How do we add another solid entry into the annals of this great franchise." And we have the ADD generation as an audience to thank for that for baiting Hollywood into that mentality.

because like you mentioned, it needs to double its budget at least to be successful, But with a monster like Lone Ranger that cost 250 mil (plus marketing so who knows) to make, Or John Carter which was another 250 mil (plus marketing).....

How can they expect these two to become franchises when they are just throwing money away. I would wish instead of extravagant movies they focused mainly on getting the best writers and creating a great story and make the movie with a modest budget. Then if it doesn't do 500 Million they won't lose as much, I really don't get it.

Look at Tron, Beautiful movie to look at but the story itself is nothing really great. All the money goes into making these movies look amazing while it feels like they barely care if they have a good story or not

They want to build on these movies but it is like they throw as much into them like they are afraid that the movies will fail, and then They Do and it becomes this self fulfilling prophecy of excess and poor Box Office results :lol:lol

:lol :lol

When I was a child I was introduced to this, one of the greatest fictional characters of the 20th century, via the actual first 3 films, nothing else need have applied. Should it be different now. Pffffffff

It's not a terribly valid point. Certainly not an "extremely valid" one. You're supporting his prediction of the future with the "what if" game.

Skull had to happen with Ford, it was supposed to from the getgo. Had he backed out and they picked someone else, then maybe there'd be something to all this, but that's not the case. That still made 4 times its budget, even as messy as it was and after word had long been out about how fugly things had gotten in Indyland. And that's not all because of Ford. I know there are a lot of people out there, who you might decry as fans for it, who love the series including that movie, warts and all.

When I was a child I was introduced to this, one of the greatest fictional characters of the 20th century, via the actual first 3 films, nothing else need have applied. Should it be different now. Pffffffff

That's very true. I'm just saying, you don't think it'd be kind of neat if something like this existed for younger viewers?

indianajones-animatedadventures-keyart-full.jpg

Dark Horse did a comic a few years back. I just don't think that a high quality animated production set in the Indy universe has to be a bad thing. Look at how The Clone Wars turned out.

Only in the usual defensive fanboy posturing way. We all "get" that as fans, but some of us aren't so stubborn as to think we can argue against reality.

Ford owns about 10 pounds of weed and an earring collection that's probably pretty impressive. Disney owns the role of Indiana Jones. And they will more than likely put someone else in the fedora as him. Nothing to be done about it.

:goodpost: :exactly:

They'll do stuff like that I'm sure. They won't just sit on it.

I just genuinely wonder are the classic Indy films in some way inaccessible to kids of today like how apparently Robocop '87 is (granted it was never for kids) A few people attested in the Robocop 2014 thread that they know teens who flat out won't watch Robo '87 because its old. Are these films really dated? That's rhetorical.

Last edited:
Back