Disney Live Action Little Mermaid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So are you ok if they made Aladdin white looking instead of how he looked in the animated film?
No, because Aladdin is Arabic and Ariel is a fantastical creature called a mermaid. One has some basis in reality, and the other is Make believe.

Now if they made a movie about Vikings, but cast a black person as the lead viking, I would have an issue.

If a movie about unicorns was made, and they made a black unicorn, so be it. Because it's purely fantasy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yes, of course. I'm not "outraged" or anywhere near as irked as when George changed the SW OT and then tried to deny anyone from ever watching the originals again. I thought that Will Smith Genie was a terrible decision as well and that's a big reason I passed on watching the new Aladdin despite the animated version being my absolute favorite of all post-50's Disney cartoons.

If you end up loving "Black Ariel" then I won't have the slightest problem with that. But you're right, I don't like these types of changes, especially when it's nothing more than political pandering. The only time I'm in favor of characters' races changing in a remake is when the story is re-localized. It would have been silly to have had a Japanese cast for A Fistful of Dollars just because it was a remake of Yojimbo. Likewise The Ring or Godzilla 2014. I'm fine with a change of race if there is an accompanying change of geography BUT they better at least rename all the main characters (like they did with the three films I just mentioned.)

So if they want some underwater Wakanda starring Ebony the black fish girl that otherwise followed the same general story of The Little Mermaid then fine. Hayao Miyazaki did exactly that with Ponyo and I love that film so obviously I'm not against "change." I'm simply against change that is poorly done or done for the wrong reasons.
I feel like you're missing the point though. Ariel, the mermaid is fantasy, with no basis in reality. Therefore I feel she can be whatever color they want her to be. they can make her rainbow colored for all I care.

I feel like you're missing the point though. Ariel, the mermaid is fantasy, with no basis in reality. Therefore I feel she can be whatever color they want her to be. they can make her rainbow colored for all I care.

So you'd be fine if "Ariel the Mermaid" was a bald Japanese man with a propeller for a tail? Ariel is a white redheaded girl with a fish tail. If you say that well the fish tail is sacred but not her skin color then I could just throw the same defense right back at you that "mermaids are fantasy so it doesn't matter what her tail is made out of." Wouldn't you have to agree?

And yes, I'd think it was just as silly if she was rainbow colored. I'm just now curious as to where you draw your very arbitrary line (because it really is) as to what can and cannot be changed when it comes to retelling a classic fantasy story or portraying a classic fantasy character.

szRSLJd.jpg

giphy.gif

So you'd be fine if "Ariel the Mermaid" was a bald Japanese man with a propeller for a tail? Ariel is a white redheaded girl with a fish tail. If you say that well the fish tail is sacred but not her skin color then I could just throw the same defense right back at you that "mermaids are fantasy so it doesn't matter what her tail is made out of." Wouldn't you have to agree?

And yes, I'd think it was just as silly if she was rainbow colored. I'm just now curious as to where you draw your very arbitrary line (because it really is) as to what can and cannot be changed when it comes to retelling a classic fantasy story or portraying a classic fantasy character.

But a mermaid is defined as a half human with a fish like tail. But if you can find where it says a mermaid must be white, then I guess you'll have a point. As for a bald Asian man? Well, Asian fine, but by definition a mermaid is female. A merman can be bald and Asian, won't hurt my feelings.

Your point is like saying, a unicorn can therefore have no legs and be snake like, and still be a unicorn. I'm simply saying the unicorn can have different color hair, and still be a unicorn.

So are you ok if they made Aladdin white looking instead of how he looked in the animated film?

Honestly yeah, there’s a lot of white arabs with green eyes, might as well disney just say screw it, since the original little mermaid was danish, described in the book as white with bright coral hair and dies in the book by becoming sea foam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But a mermaid is defined as a half human with a fish like tail. But if you can find where it says a mermaid must be white, then I guess you'll have a point. As for a bald Asian man? Well, Asian fine, but by definition a mermaid is female. A merman can be bald and Asian, won't hurt my feelings.

Your point is like saying, a unicorn can therefore have no legs and be snake like, and still be a unicorn. I'm simply saying the unicorn can have different color hair, and still be a unicorn.

Are you really going to continue to switch the name "Ariel" with "a mermaid" as if people are saying that literally every mermaid in folklore has to be white with red hair? :thwak No one is saying "a mermaid" except you my friend. We're all talking about Ariel. Ariel is white with red hair. Those features are as much a part of her as her being "a mermaid" is.

Ariel is white. Lando is black. Do ALL mermaids have to be white? No. Do ALL humans in space movies have to be black? No. But those two fantasy icons have established looks/identities which includes their race/skin color.

Last edited:
Simba is a lion

So why was this guy playing him?

matthew-broderick-medium.jpg

Gandhi is Hindu

So why is this guy playing him?

170px-Sir_Ben_Kingsley_by_David_Shankbone.jpg

It’s not like India is short on Actors

Are you really going to continue to switch the name "Ariel" with "a mermaid" as if people are saying that literally every mermaid in folklore has to be white with red hair? :thwak No one is saying "a mermaid" except you my friend. We're all talking about Ariel. Ariel is white with red hair. Those features are as much a part of her as her being "a mermaid" is.

Ariel is white. Lando is black. Do ALL mermaids have to be white? No. Do ALL humans in space movies have to be black? No. But those two fantasy icons have established looks/identities which includes their race/skin color.
This obviously upsets you. I'm just going to back off. I personally don't really care what color she is. I care about how she acts, and if she sings, how well she does that.

This obviously upsets you.

Uh, what? I literally added the little "thwaking" emoji because I thought it looked funny and I didn't want my posts to come across as harsh. :1-1: Whether you like the change or not I don't think it's anything to get genuinely worked up about.

I'm just going to back off. I personally don't really care what color she is. I care about how she acts, and if she sings, how well she does that.

Suit yourself. I'll just assume that you'd be fine with white Lando then as long as he was well acted. :monkey3

Last edited:
This iconic hoe played a black queen

14059789_f520.jpg

Cleopatra was black — she’s from Africa

ac5d064b321d9f71fe18fed386340d83.jpg

Back