Disney Live Action Little Mermaid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw that one. Hilarious! Runs along the same argument that Young Rippa preaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't care all that much about the Ariel casting. It does seem a bit hypocritical that those celebrating this so heavily are so appalled at "cultural appropriation" in other contexts. It is a Danish fairy tale ... so somewhat connected to Danish and Scandinavian culture. And, it's generally a bad idea to overwrite cultural folklore for demographic reasons.

But, it's not that big a deal.

I'd rather they didn't muck with James Bond, though. He's an established character, with established traits. Same with Clark Kent. And Bruce Wayne. Etc. We need not remake every popular white character with a revised race.

SnakeDoc

The official statement from Disney owned channel freeform:

"Danish mermaids can be black because Danish *people* can be black."

And:

"Black Danish people, and thus mer-folk, can also *genetically* (!!!) have red hair."

No joking - this is quoted word-for-word from freeform's official Instagram. Woke for sure, but these are much stranger things than Stranger Things.:lol

LMAO @ this thread. :lol :rolleyes2 :lol

BBBBaby, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

ImprobableAngelicBluet-size_restricted.gif

At least Mamoa's casting wasn't driven by identity politics. That was just Snyder trying to move the character away from being a decades long punchline to a joke.

maxresdefault.jpg

Another DC flip lol. People ended up turning around and liking the show and her in the role after giving it a try tho.

Back