Disney Live Action Little Mermaid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes it’s dumb but sometimes I don’t care. For this instance I think she looks great as Ariel but other times I’m just like why? You know. It’s like we can make our own characters but choose not to. We did it with miles

Sometimes it’s dumb but sometimes I don’t care.

I agree, it's not an all or nothing for me either, lol. I've said before that I like MCD Kingpin, SLJ Fury, and even though I haven't seen Spider-Man Far From Home I liked Zendaya as MJ in Homecoming. It's definitely a case by case thing but generally speaking pandering and virtue signaling through tokenization of established icons is stupid IMO.

Imho, white washing was and is wrong. But today we see a stupid reverse of tendency. I know I’ll watch a black guy play Black Panther with pleasure, or Blade. Then I know I would boycott a black Bond or Superman... just as I’d boycott a white Blade or a white Black Panther.

True, there are less, well not enough first rate roles for black people (or Asians for that matter), but I don’t think that retrofitting characters is the right way either. I’m all for creation.

D-mMoIGXkAETNMt

Looks like Ariel to me

You must have seen a different film growing up. :lol

What I don't get, is why anyone feels the mermaid needs to be white?

She's a mermaid. A fantasy creature. Make believe.

Now if you complained that a historical figure's race was changed, then ok, I get it

Some character is supposed to be German and then they get cast as Asian, I get it.

But she's pretend. A species that doesn't exist.

By the way, those that hate casting someone in a role based on their race better check their love for Lando Calrissian. He was cast black due to pressure GL received over there being only white people in star wars.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm also not fond of this race/gender swapping trend which seems to be lead by Disney as of late. Seemingly for the sake of pandering, I suppose. I also agree that "white washing" is wrong too. But the pendulum is turning the other direction and if I speak my mind against it, I'm a racist or a Nazi? Really? If people can complain about the white-washing and that's okay, then if I or anyone else complains about the other, we are told to just deal with it and shut up....? Who has the real issues here?

If Disney does a live action of "Princess and the Frog" and the lead female casted is a Caucasian, I'm sure there will be some uproar. However, those that are doing the screaming, will they be considered racists too?

I will reserve final judgment of this movie until after I see some footage revealed. If this actress can sing really good, she may turn out as an incredible pick. Curious how King Triton is going to be handled?

The upcoming Lion King looks amazing and for a mostly black cast (voice actors) seems fitting to the source material. (Africa) Looking forward to seeing it! Just may not actually be "live action" and more of a modernization of animation.

I'm also not fond of this race/gender swapping trend which seems to be lead by Disney as of late. Seemingly for the sake of pandering, I suppose. I also agree that "white washing" is wrong too. But the pendulum is turning the other direction and if I speak my mind against it, I'm a racist or a Nazi? Really? If people can complain about the white-washing and that's okay, then if I or anyone else complains about the other, we are told to just deal with it and shut up....? Who has the real issues here?

If Disney does a live action of "Princess and the Frog" and the lead female casted is a Caucasian, I'm sure there will be some uproar. However, those that are doing the screaming, will they be considered racists too?

I will reserve final judgment of this movie until after I see some footage revealed. If this actress can sing really good, she may turn out as an incredible pick. Curious how King Triton is going to be handled?

The upcoming Lion King looks amazing and for a mostly black cast (voice actors) seems fitting to the source material. (Africa) Looking forward to seeing it! Just may not actually be "live action" and more of a modernization of animation.

Let's be honest. Disney's Never doing a Live Action version of the Princess and the Frog. Their first and only black princess who spends a good amount of the movie as a frog.

Also the movie may have lost them some money judging from this box-office.
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=princessandthefrog.htm

Because it's a live action adaptation of this. THEY chose to adapt this, so certain expectations come as a result of that decision and the precedent they have set with their previous live action adaptations. So excuse me if I wasn't expecting a black girl with dreadlocks as the favorite choice to play a ginger woman. :lol

7qLTzxW.jpg

Because it's a live action adaptation of this. THEY chose to adapt this, so certain expectations come as a result of that decision and the precedent they have set with their previous live action adaptations.

7qLTzxW.jpg
So, the mermaid is forever set in stone as white?

Maybe they should piss off everybody and use CGI to make her look translucent like a jellyfish

If they remade the Matrix, is L Fishburne's character forever black, or is it ok to change that?

Because she isn't "the mermaid." She's Ariel.

And this is what Ariel looks like:

Ariel-720x340.jpg

To take your Lando example imagine if Disney decided to make him white in a new SW film. Lando Calrissian. Not "the administrator of Cloud City which doesn't exist so who cares what his race is" but *Lando Calrissian.* Yes he's a fictional character that lives in a non-existent galaxy. Yes Ariel is fictional too. But just because her character isn't real doesn't mean that she doesn't have a pre-defined look. Not even just a pre-defined look, an absolutely iconic one. White redheaded girl with a fish tail. It would be just as stupid if they made her a man or gave her a propellor tail instead of one from a fish. She has an established look and Disney is deviating from it for the most laughable of reasons.

If they wanted to pull a "Lando Calrissian" then they could have invented a brand new character just like George did. He didn't suddenly make Luke Skywalker black in order to virtue signal to slaves of identity politics.

Because she isn't "the mermaid." She's Ariel.

And this is what Ariel looks like:

Ariel-720x340.jpg

To take your Lando example imagine if Disney decided to make him white in a new SW film. Lando Calrissian. Not "the administrator of Cloud City which doesn't exist so who cares what his race is" but *Lando Calrissian.* Yes he's a fictional character that lives in a non-existent galaxy. Yes Ariel is fictional too. But just because her character isn't real doesn't mean that she doesn't have a pre-defined look. Not even just a pre-defined look, an absolutely iconic one. White redheaded girl with a fish tail. It would be just as stupid if they made her a man or gave her a propellor tail instead of one from a fish. She has an established look and Disney is deviating from it for the most laughable of reasons.

If they wanted to pull a "Lando Calrissian" then they could have invented a brand new character just like George did. He didn't suddenly make Luke Skywalker black in order to virtue signal to slaves of identity politics.
Just because Ariel's look is stuck in your head as white, doesn't mean it can't ever change. You'll always have the animated Mermaid, that's not going away. This is a remake, just as Aladdin got remade into an awful movie this year. Will Smith didn't stay blue throughout the whole movie, but blue is how I see Genie, so does that mean Disney needed to keep Genie blue the whole time?

Just because Ariel's look is stuck in your head as white, doesn't mean it can't ever change. You'll always have the animated Mermaid, that's not going away. This is a remake, just as Aladdin got remade into an awful movie this year. Will Smith didn't stay blue throughout the whole movie, but blue is how I see Genie, so does that mean Disney needed to keep Genie blue the whole time?

So are you ok if they made Aladdin white looking instead of how he looked in the animated film?

Who cares ?!? I just hope she can act and sing. Red hair wouldn’t be bad either as a nod to the original. But the color of her skin really doesn’t matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, of course. I'm not "outraged" or anywhere near as irked as when George changed the SW OT and then tried to deny anyone from ever watching the originals again. I thought that Will Smith Genie was a terrible decision as well and that's a big reason I passed on watching the new Aladdin despite the animated version being my absolute favorite of all post-50's Disney cartoons.

If you end up loving "Black Ariel" then I won't have the slightest problem with that. But you're right, I don't like these types of changes, especially when it's nothing more than political pandering. The only time I'm in favor of characters' races changing in a remake is when the story is re-localized. It would have been silly to have had a Japanese cast for A Fistful of Dollars just because it was a remake of Yojimbo. Likewise The Ring or Godzilla 2014. I'm fine with a change of race if there is an accompanying change of geography BUT they better at least rename all the main characters (like they did with the three films I just mentioned.)

So if they want some underwater Wakanda starring Ebony the black fish girl that otherwise followed the same general story of The Little Mermaid then fine. Hayao Miyazaki did exactly that with Ponyo and I love that film so obviously I'm not against "change." I'm simply against change that is poorly done or done for the wrong reasons.

Back