Disney closes Lucasarts, Cancels all current game projects.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People like their games, people may get pissed about things, but they want what they're selling. They have the resources and they make the type of games that would allow them to also make good Star Wars games.

They can screw it up of course, but it wouldn't be hard for them not to.

The only alternative is Activision, which what studio would you like from them to do a Star Wars game? Activision is only on top because of WoW and COD, while EA has several studios (DICE, Viceral, Bioware) that are would actually be able to do a good job with Star Wars.

People want EA games because they have the licenses. Look what happened to NBA. They couldn't get exclusivity and they got their a$$es handed to them by a better developer. Without license exclusives, they'd be screwed because their games are mostly garbage. Granted, the games are mostly garbage because they know they don't have to put much effort into a game with a hot license, but that's kinda the point of this conversation. They buy big licenses because they know they don't have to develop good games to make money on them.

Why is Activision the only alternative? It's the only other obvious goliath, that's true, but Disney didn't have to be a predictible money grubbing corporation and go for the highest bidder. They couldve gone with the publisher that has the best history of good games, but I realize that's not realistic. I'm just gamer ranting.

Why is Activision the only alternative? It's the only other obvious goliath, that's true, but Disney didn't have to be a predictible money grubbing corporation and go for the highest bidder. They couldve gone with the publisher that has the best history of good games, but I realize that's not realistic. I'm just gamer ranting.

I don't think there's any other publishers that can spend the resources and get games out on a schedule. And they're not going to split it up with several developers.

EA sports, ITS IN THE GAME

That is engraved in my brain since playing FIFA International Soccer on Mega Drive.

New SW games being developed by Visceral, BioWare and DICE? Yes, please.

After reading the article in more details I realized that it wasn't EA proper but their partners that would be making the games so I'm reassured.

As much as I want more Star Wars games, how come Disney didn't go with Ubisoft or Bethesda?

I trust Dice, I've never played a game by them that was bad.

I really like Visceral as well after Dead Space 2, I could see them taking over 1313... I just hope they make the character a new Bounty Hunter and not a Fett.

DICE made Battlefield 2. If you've played that (not bad company 2, BF2) you know to have zero conerns about this announcement because it's probably the greatest game ever. 64 MP squad based combat with squad leaders, an overall team commander giving squads orders, land, air and sea vehicle combat... etc etc. Basically all they need to do is reskin that game to Star Wars universe stuff and they'll have created the best SW game ever by a large margin.

I don't think there's any other publishers that can spend the resources and get games out on a schedule. And they're not going to split it up with several developers.

Ahh, the accursed EA Schedule. the Cancer that's killing the game industry.

Light teasing aside, this can either be good, or nothing will change.

worst case scenario, EA continues to produce crap games for The star wars liscense, much like Lucasarts was doing for the past decade. we gain nothing... but we loose nothing either.

NOW, if EA can keep their mitts off the project, and let whatever studio they hand it to ACTUALY FINISH THE GAME before they release it ( Unlike the old republic, to name one) This has some amazing potential.

SW : Battlefront 3, from DICE? That has great potential, not to mention EA Canned Medal of Honor, so there is a team, and resources to work on it right there.

A SW survival horror game, exploring the anchient mysteries of the sith from Visceral? I need new pants.

NEW Single Player Star Wars Role Playing Games from Bioware?
...please?

several good opportunities there.

Yes. Thats exactly the problem with EA. EA themselves. They own a bunch of fantastic developer studios, but they always hang their big, stupid corporate heads over their shoulder and breath stupid air on them. Get it done. That's all that matters. I know SW was too big a license to go to a good publisher, but I don't have to like it.

TOR was fine when it was released, its issue wasn't not being complete, it was that it was a poorly designed MMO, seriously no reason for multiplayer, it's a much better single player game.

I don't see Visceral doing a Star Wars horror game, but they could do something interesting. I think maybe they could take over for 1313 if they wanted.

I really wish Bioware would do a Star Trek RPG though, their game formula would work perfectly for that

TOR was fine when it was released, its issue wasn't not being complete, it was that it was a poorly designed MMO, seriously no reason for multiplayer, it's a much better single player game.

I don't see Visceral doing a Star Wars horror game, but they could do something interesting. I think maybe they could take over for 1313 if they wanted.

I really wish Bioware would do a Star Trek RPG though, their game formula would work perfectly for that

So.. wait... you're saying TOR was fine, and it failed to be what it was intended to be? that dosn't sound fine to me....

Teasing aside, I agree, it works better a s a single player title. unfortunately, it's got an MMO difficulty curve, which makes it HARD to play as a single player. and That's Saying nothing of the Free to play model being basicly unplayable.

Why do you find the concept of a Star Wars Horror game from visceral unlikely? WE already got a FANTASTIC set of SW horror novels, why not a game?

500px-Deathtroopers.jpg

Red_Harvest_PB.jpg

I'd like to see Bioware back off the MMO's. I REALLY don't think the get the Genre/medium.

I'd LOVE to see 1313 get finished... just PLEASE don't let it become a Gears derivitive cover-based shooter.

I don't think horror really fits, you can have a game that has a horror section but I don't think you can make a game entirely about that. Like how in Dead Space you kind of have the idea that the entire universe there is just horror.

I'd like to see Bioware go back to their main game style with Star Wars, I'd be concerned about them though because they aren't the same studio that made Mass Effect or KOTOR. They don't really have their own identity anymore and are really just there to make whatever EA tells them to make.

I don't get that vibe AT ALL with dead space. it's a Horror entry to Science Fiction. Then again, my forte is storytelling, and i see EVERYTHING as smaller parts of a greater whole, so that might be why.

I think Deathtroopers would work great from a game veiwpoint, granted, though, it'd just be a bog-standard Survival horro ala dead space and resident evil, dropped into a star wars setting.

" medical experiment gone wrong in the enclosed space of a spaceship retrofitted for use as a Prison ship"

I agree with you about bioware. they are most definitely just a shell of what they once were. pretty sure EA only keeps them around for brand/name recognition.

I don't think horror really fits, you can have a game that has a horror section but I don't think you can make a game entirely about that. Like how in Dead Space you kind of have the idea that the entire universe there is just horror.

I'd like to see Bioware go back to their main game style with Star Wars, I'd be concerned about them though because they aren't the same studio that made Mass Effect or KOTOR. They don't really have their own identity anymore and are really just there to make whatever EA tells them to make.

Republic Commando had a pretty scary section iirc.

Horror and Star Wars is an AWESOME concept, imo - never read the books but I'd love a game in this concept.

Visceral and EAs issue with Dead Space 3 was that it was super easy, even on 'impossible' mode, so they need to work on the difficulty settings

Back