Disney Abandons hand drawn animation

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the end of the day if a story is good, its good in CGI or Real Animation. I love the incredibles but if theat was in Real Animation I wouldnt care. Just remember the animation form the Original He-man cartoons and the first Hulk series from 1996, loved that stuff. They had actually watched real power lifters and athletes to see them in motion, brilliant.

Reading this thread I get a sense that a lot of you don't know too much about what's going on with the company. I'll throw in my 5 cents.

Disney's official statement says that as of right now, there are not any 2D traditionally hand drawn animated products in development. That does not mean they won't return to it at some point in the future. This isn't quite the same bad news as it was a decade ago when then-CEO Michael Eisner laid off all the animators and started selling the animator desks on ebay.

Eisner was pushed out, Bob Iger became CEO and brought in Pixar heads John Lasseter and Ed Catmull, who meddled with Meet the Robinsons, redid Bolt, gave us the return to 2D animation with Princess and the Frog, Tangled and....

The last traditional animated film from Disney is 2011's Winnie the Pooh, a really cute sequel to the 1960-70s' era Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. This film goes back to the A.A. Milne story books and got CRUSHED in the box office with lousy marketing, bad public perception of Winnie the Pooh being for preschoolers (Disney's own fault), and having it go up against Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. (if you haven't seen this and love the original Pooh cartoons from the 60s, I recommend this 100%)

Paperman, the oscar winning short appears hand drawn but is 100% CG. I imagine that they won the award for partially pushing the technology of computers to draw lines over the characters rather than fully rendering them.

The future of Disney animation could still involve a 2D sensibility with this technology so time will only tell.

Later this year they release FROZEN, aka Hans Christian Andersen's The Snow Queen. Originally a hand drawn production, it was switched over to CG.

I think it was inevitable because it's the smart business move, but I dispute claims that hand drawn animation didn't perform as well dubious. The promote the **** out of those (usually crappy looking) CG films, but I don't remember seeing any commercials for some Winnie the Pooh movie.

Definitely poorly marketed and setting it against the final Harry Potter movie was the final salt on the wound.

Here's what the promotional materials looked like:

Does this make you want to see it? Kinda not really right? We don't know if this is a direct to DVD sequel put on the big screen like all the rest!
winnie-the-pooh-movie-poster1.jpg

And the trailer. I love the band Keane but this just doesn't sell it. It all seems like some PR company that didn't know anything about Pooh put it out.
[ame]https://youtu.be/hRT86ZggCEk[/ame]

So much for artistic animation. Guess all artists of the future will put down the paint brushes and pick up the ipad. Walt must be turning over in his grave.

Eh, I honestly don't think he'd have a problem with it. Walt didn't think he was a great artist or a great animator. He had great ideas. I think he'd be happy with any medium that let him, or other artists, get their ideas across.

Nah they were planning on doing more but the cgi films are easier I think. Guess this means more Cars and less masterpieces like Hunchback of notra dame. Happy to say I lived during the golden age of disney.

Cars 1/2 is the only Disney-Pixar output that I wouldn't be on my knees thanking the heavens that I got to watch over Hunchback.

What's Disney's relationship with Studio Ghibli?

The early to mid 90s were the best in Disney animation. Lion king, little mermaid, beauty and the beast. Have you forgotten those lol

Compared to Snow White, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Dumbo, Bambi, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Lady & the Tramp, Sleeping Beauty, 101 Dalmatians, The Sword in the Stone, The Aristocats, Robin Hood, and The Rescuers?

picture.php

Yea of course I know that but still the 90s was good in animation. Btw aristocats sucked.

You said they were best in Disney animation.
My fault thats not what I meant.
I feel like I've entered some parallel universe where Hunchback has entered this revered status.
I say that becuase your the first person i've come across who doesnt like it. I dont think its the best nor is it as popular as the others but its a really good disney film and has some of the best animation. The soundtrack is beutiful and the story was very dark. Hellfire is probaly one of the best disney songs ive ever heard.
So yea just becuase you didnt like it doesnt mean its not good. Its a solid disney film.

I say that becuase your the first person i've come across who doesnt like it. I dont think its the best nor is it as popular as the others but its a really good disney film and has some of the best animation. The soundtrack is beutiful and the story was very dark. Hellfire is probaly one of the best disney songs ive ever heard.
So yea just becuase you didnt like it doesnt mean its not good. Its a solid disney film.

I never said I didn't like it. I just think it is incredibly mediocre, from a very mediocre period of Disney movies.

But like I said, the transition away from 2D doesn't have to be a bad thing, since Pixar's output is incredible. Disney's recent 3D output has been great as well.

Back