Dinosauria: Stegosaurus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've ordered David's new Rex in 1/40..can't wait to get that one. I agree he should do some more pieces..I would mind seeing one by James Gurney, William Stout , and of course Shane could do a really nice piece.

I think they have really just handed over the line to Jorge though. It's like all the other guys were meant to get it going before handing over the reigns. :/

I've ordered David's new Rex in 1/40..can't wait to get that one. I agree he should do some more pieces..I would mind seeing one by James Gurney, William Stout , and of course Shane could do a really nice piece.

I think they have really just handed over the line to Jorge though. It's like all the other guys were meant to get it going before handing over the reigns. :/

Hi Blade,

Have some questions. Krentz Rex is in 1/40 scale? Has he started a larger scale line? How much is it? Where/how can we order?

Does J. Gurney or W. Stout sculpt their own dinos, or you were hoping on SS producing product based on their art? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks! :wave

Hi Blade,

Have some questions. Krentz Rex is in 1/40 scale? Has he started a larger scale line? How much is it? Where/how can we order?

Does J. Gurney or W. Stout sculpt their own dinos, or you were hoping on SS producing product based on their art? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks! :wave

He has done a 1/40 Rex with plans to do more from what I've heard. You can order them here : https://stores.homestead.com/hstria...5/Tyrannosaurus-1-cln-40-Resin-Kit/Detail.bok

I know Gurney sculpts some models for his work..I have seen Stout sculptors but sure if he did them or someone else did. Either way Dinos in their style would be great ! ;D

If you want, I can ask Mr. Stout about this when I go to Wonderfest this year. ;) If he made any statues/kits based on his own work, I'd think Wonderfest would be a great place to showcase them. :)

If you want, I can ask Mr. Stout about this when I go to Wonderfest this year. ;) If he made any statues/kits based on his own work, I'd think Wonderfest would be a great place to showcase them. :)

That would be great ! I'd love to have any Dino-related piece he's done ! :)

Oh and get me a signature while your there ! ;D

Hello everyone! I took some photos from my collection!:wink1:

a68.jpg

hi is the dinosauria line extinct? i dont see how sideshow can continue this when it couldnt even sellout 150 pieces after more than 6 months.

Pretty much seems to be...

And the low sales of the newer pieces may be (partially) due to the lack of publicity by SSC.

The 2009 pieces sold pretty quickly as far as I know....

i think price has a lot to do with it too, $350 for a marvel iron man people will grind their teeth and bite, but for a dino? not so much.

:(

I was so hoping for Brachiosaurus. You know, something to add a bit variation in silhouette for the collection. Bit of height. Could have been amazing!

Your not the only one who wants a Brachiosaurus. I'm thinking the only way I will get a decent sized Brachiosaurus statue, will be to commission one.

I'm just glad Sideshow isn't the only source for my paleoart fix. :)

Your not the only one who wants a Brachiosaurus. I'm thinking the only way I will get a decent sized Brachiosaurus statue, will be to commission one.

This is true. What are some of the other best statues you know of? I've seen a couple of impressive Paleocraft ones.

What/who is 'Styles on Video' that have produced the Parasaurolophus heard crossing statue which Sideshow is selling on their site do you know? Is it not a piece done by the Sideshow team?

This is true. What are some of the other best statues you know of? I've seen a couple of impressive Paleocraft ones.

What/who is 'Styles on Video' that have produced the Parasaurolophus heard crossing statue which Sideshow is selling on their site do you know? Is it not a piece done by the Sideshow team?

I have the Brachiosaurus by Horizon that's the right size...I wish Shane would do a Brachio or a Diplo..either would easily go on my list.

Styles on video I've never heard of. It's not a piece by the Sideshow guys that I know of..the quality looks really off.

I would recommend pieces by David Krentz, Shane Foulkes, Malcolm Mlodoch, Paleocraft, Creative Beast, Rader Studios..you can find a nice selection at DansDinosaurs.com ;)

but i honestly havent seen any other brand dino statues that looks even close to the quality of the sideshow pieces, commissioned or not. Just got a t-rex recently and it is absolutely stunning, so is the styracosaurs.

You're right gagailya ! For example Apatosaurus 1:15 Resin Kit by Foulkes can not compare with the Sideshow Apatosaurus (I'm talking about animal anatomy, the skeletal and muscular:lecture. Not to mention the head of the Sideshow apatosaurus that Oneness is simply stunning detail :lecture:lecture:rock2

You're right gagailya ! For example Apatosaurus 1:15 Resin Kit by Foulkes can not compare with the Sideshow Apatosaurus (I'm talking about animal anatomy, the skeletal and muscular:lecture. Not to mention the head of the Sideshow apatosaurus that Oneness is simply stunning detail :lecture:lecture:rock2

Sorry, but I have both the Foulkes Apatosaurus, and SS Apatosaurus, and Sideshow's doesn't really hold a candle to Shane's. I guess if Shane's Apatosaurus was given a horrible paint job, like Sideshow's Apatosaurus, it wouldn't be so great. Too many people keep trying to convince themselves and others, that the Sideshow piece looks great. The sculpt is an amazing sculpt, but it's hidden underneath a very sloppy and inaccurate paint job. I'd get mine re-painted, but I don't want to risk it getting broken during transit. Therefor I'm left with a subpar statue. :(

As far as scientific accuracy goes, remember that we base all we know about Dinosaurs on their fossils, tracks, etc. What might be accurate for ten years, can be proven wrong in a day. Blade of the Moon made a post about how the Sideshow Spinosaurus seems to already be deemed inaccurate. Doesn't mean I'm going to sell mine. I think it'd drive me nuts, buying and then selling Dinosaur collectibles, just because they've been proven to be inaccurate. :lol That's why I try not to be too picky when it comes to accuracy. Not that I don't take accuracy into account.

Btw, Shane's Apatosaurus is accurate for the time it was created. He doesn't sculpt his kits without doing alot of research. ;)

Sorry if I sound like I'm telling you off, but it is individual paleoartists, not Sideshow, that will continue to bring us amazing Dinosaur statue/kits. They do it because they love Dinosaurs. Sideshow does it, because they want to make money. The Dinosauria line slowing down to a crawl, and probably ending after the Stegosaurus, is the proof of that. If it doesn't make them any money, they couldn't care less about it.:(

but i honestly havent seen any other brand dino statues that looks even close to the quality of the sideshow pieces, commissioned or not. Just got a t-rex recently and it is absolutely stunning, so is the styracosaurs.

You may have not looked hard enough, if you haven't seen anything better than Sideshow. Go to DansDinosaurs.com, and you'll find products from quite a few great paleoartists.

You'd find more, if David Krentz would start back to making amazing 1/20-1/18 sculptures. He's the only reason that Sideshow's line even had an awesome Tyrannosaurus Rex and Styracosaurus Maquette. They are my two favorites, with the Carnotaurus coming in at a close third. All three had great sculpts, and were given decent paint jobs.

Kits may cost more, if you have to get someone else to build them up, but they will always come out looking how YOU want them to. Not to mention they become even more rare pieces, since most paint jobs are very different from each other.

Here is a great example of having someone build a kit, customize it, and add an amazing base. I bought two of Shane Foulkes's 1/15 Triceratops, and Martin Garratt built them up as I specified. The end result is an amazing diorama of two male Triceratops locked in battle.

Here is the original kit, built up by Steve Riojas, I believe. Nothing has been altered in any way.

2010021.jpg

Now here are a few pics of my diorama, with the two kits having been altered and placed on a custom base.

tri1-1.jpg

tri2-1.jpg

tri3-1.jpg

tri4-1.jpg

tri5.jpg

This diorama is something Sideshow could never top, unless they had Steve Riojas, Anthony Mestas, or other in-house artists paint each statue. I don't see that ever happening.

Last edited:
Back