Dinosauria:Dilophosaurus Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello rdelgado. Can you show us some pictures of your maquette? Preferable would be to take some pictures with more light to see details. Maybe take a picture next to another dinosaur in line to see about how big it is.:pray::wave:yess::clap

Tup,

I would love to do that, but I have no idea how to upload pics onto the thread.
The head of the male is longer and thinner, while the crouching female's head is shorter and wider.
It's a coool piece.

I looked at the pictures attached by Dan with this maquette. I do not understand something, that the male teeth are painted in skin color:gah::slap:mad:? Or just seems to me?:cuckoo:

It's not just you, it seems to lose more than an acceptable amount of za-za-zing in the transition from proto to factory.

I mean compare em, I know SS photos are pro photos, but still, it's too brown, the base is the wrong colour (doesn't distinguish it from the dinosaurs), the teeth are painted over and it just lacks oomph overall. Which is a shame as wanted to get this one.

Dinosauria_Maquette.jpg

sideshowdilophosaurus-5.jpg

200135_press04-001.jpg

sideshowdilophosaurus-11.jpg

200135_press02-001.jpg

sideshowdilophosaurus-13.jpg

Last edited:
There is a big difference between proto and regular maquette. I can not explain myself, how can it be such a big difference? But cost 300 USD / Euro, not a cheap maquette.:slap

PS: even Euplocephalus maquette looks colors much better with the prototype.:(

It's because as has been said the prototype is pro-painted , not done by a factory worker in China.

You could have this model and the other pieces in the painted up by a pro..but the paint alone will cost you 2-300.00 to have something like in the pics we see.

A model this large , painted up is good for the price..not as great as in the past with costs rising..but still not bad. If this piece were a built up and painted model kit by a pro that would make sense for about 5-600.00 . Hope this puts things in a bit of perspective.

Blade's point is totally spot on and fair. A pro painter would really charge to approximate that color scheme.

I for one am totally happy with mine, and actually placed it next to my stego to enjoy the size contrast.

It's cool yours had teeth painted Ricardo. Might be the low number or the painter took a bit more pride in his/her work on that one. Nice score !

Sideshow messed up my charge or something and now they won't retry it til this next Wed. Then it will take a few more days to get here so I won't have mine til about the 2nd week in August looks like. I may not even be in town then... if I sound exasperated with the situation..it's because I am. :)

Actually Blade, I checked again and the red head DOES have red teeth, or his teeth unpainted, however it doesn't bother me. The perfect angle to me is to look at the piece from behind the female and see the coolness of both of the characters. The crest colors are impressive to me.

Hey gang! Hope all is well with you guys! Sorry again that I don't check in more frequently... work and getting engaged recently have kept me pretty busy.

Just received this beautiful pair in the mail today. They look outstanding displayed with one another, and I really do enjoy the paint apps overall. Ricardo is 100% spot-on when it comes to the color palette on the cranial crests. The male's crest is quite pleasant. The gradation due to the capillary beds, with cerulean hues distally tapering to black, is a very nice touch and a very good choice aesthetically.

My ONLY real quibble with this piece is the teeth on the male. Similar to Dan's, the teeth have no paint app aside from the flesh tones applied to the body. Which is a bit disappointing. It doesn't ruin the piece for me, mind you. I'm still very pleased with the aggregate appearance, and am also very happy to have an adult mated pair in the Dinosauria collection, at last. Just would have liked that one detail touched upon, particularly considering that the eye is drawn to the unique nature of the Dilophosaurus premaxilla and maxilla.

Anyway, I wanted to touch down, say howdy, and hope all you ladies and gents are doing well. :wave

Following up Scar's comments, I also like that I can easily lift both dinos off their spots and examine them at length. I really appreciate the neck detail on the male, and the skin textures on the head of the female.
I'm a little dissapointed that the underside of the female's feet are not sculpted out, but I'm being super nit-picky.
Tux, I wish I knew how to post pics or I would.
This is another really cool piece from this line, for me.

I have account on Photobucket. Upload photos there and then copy the link where writing IMG, and then you choose "Paste" in sideshowcorsllectors.com forum under "Reply to Thread". should work.:wink1:

When I get a chance, I'll try to post some better pics in natural lighting. Maybe this weekend? Weekends are usually better for me, so I'll try to give it a shot on Saturday morning!

Just received this from the FedEx delivery guy this morning. I got Edition 112/150.

A couple of quick pictures taken with my iPhone...

Overall, I like this piece very much. :)

SS-Dilophosaurus-02_zps38ec5f67.jpg

SS-Dilophosaurus-01_zps9c8483aa.jpg

Hey Scar ! Nice to see you here again..and congrats on getting engaged !

Ricardo, if you want email me the pics and I'll put them up for you.

It's odd they didn't paint the teeth on the male but it looks like the female's is.

I should have mine Tuesday .. finally. Then I'll take some pics outside and post them up.

Back