different company qualities

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abananafarmer

Super Freak
Reaction score
im pretty new to collecting. so far iv collected a couple from sideshow and the medusa from arh.

I have looked at hot toys, but they feel very much like toys and not so much collectables ? Am i wrong ?

Iv also seen some very high quality work come from customs.

I would like to know what everyone thinks in regards to company qualities and who i should look at for collecting. :dunno

Are there other companies producing high quality work ?

I'd say that Hot Toys figures "feel" very light and toyish, but they look Amazing.

Since I just pose them and display them, I am not too concerned with the way they feel.

If you think about it, the lack of weight to their figures is a blessing in disguise, as The figures are already too expensive, a heavier figure would just add to the shipping cost.

Any action figure is a toy strictly speaking but when they look as good as most HT figures, don't let that stop you.

Are they collectables? Increasingly not so in the sense of something that appreciates in value what with repetition of the same characters again and again and rereleases etc But theres other definitions of collectable under which they still fall.

Personally I can only speak about action figures as thats all I collect. Enterbay are on the up as HT main rival.

Buy stuff and live with it for a while and you'll work out what is best for you. For example rather than listen to all the haters banging on about how crap medicom stuff is, I bought some myself and found out first hand how crap they really are.

Buy stuff and live with it for a while and you'll work out what is best for you. For example rather than listen to all the haters banging on about how crap medicom stuff is, I bought some myself and found out first hand how crap they really are.

well idk what to even say to that .. your telling me to spend my money on junk collectables?

I will always go off other reviews, being in Australia and paying the huge shipping costs means i try to only buy my absolute favourites and those of higher production quality.

maybe people could list there favourite 4 companies they monitor and buy from ..

I think he's just saying it's all a matter of taste and not to let others opinions guide you too much - if you like it, buy it.

For "Action Figures" or 1/6 collectibles Hot Toys are unbeatable (IMO) they just look amazing - for me the closest thing to a poseable statue. Like A-Dev said Enterbay also make very nice figs although they don't quite have as many big licenses to choose from.

For statues there are a bunch of companies with very high quality pieces. Bowen, Gentle Giant, Attakus, etc. Sideshow also make a lot of nice pieces although IMHO I think the paint apps aren't always up to par.

Just my 2 cents.

I think he's just saying it's all a matter of taste and not to let others opinions guide you too much - if you like it, buy it.

Yep, even the best stuff divides people. Having read a lot of what people were saying about the two figures, I opted for a medi stormie over a ss stormie as my first 1/6 figure. Lived with it for a bit, decided the floppy body was worth putting up with after all, so sold the medi and got the ss one.

maybe people could list there favourite 4 companies they monitor and buy from ..

Are you talking statues or 1/6 or figures in general? My preferred 1/6 companies are: Hot Toys, Enterbay, DiD (military figure company) and Sideshow. But I have some figures from Soldier Story, Dragon, Medicom and Blitzway's only figure to date and these have all been good in different ways too. I don't really know what you mean when you say Hot Toys figures feel very much like toys and not so much collectibles... they're toy collectibles. Or collectible toys. Have you checked out the Shelves section on this board? Seeing how people are displaying their stuff and what kinds of collections are being built is a good idea.

Your question depends on what type of collectible you are interested in collecting, and in the licenses that you are interested in. If you want the best high end action figures of geek properties, then Hot Toys is the way to go at the moment. If you like military figures, then DiD may be a better option. If you like Star Wars and GI Joe, then Sideshow would be your best bet, because they have those two licenses and pump out lots of figures from them.

If you are talking large statues, then Sideshow is probably your best bet, though they have had their issues. Bowen does great, small statues from my understanding if you are interested in comic licenses. I'm sure there are other companies out there that better cater to fans of fantasy, history, etc.

Buy stuff and live with it for a while and you'll work out what is best for you...
This is pretty good advice. Defining what a collectable is is always going to be partly subjective and figuring out what 'you should look at for collecting' is something only you can know.

I'm also an infant in this hobby compared to most on here so I don't have much insight into the individual companies. I only developed an interest a year or so ago and initially focused on statues, busts, PFs, etc because I liked the museum style appeal of the larger static pieces. I only had a dozen or so but I started to have concerns over space limitations and portability so I thought I'd look at Hot Toys as an alternative. Just fairly recently I picked up my first figure and was impressed with the detail that they manage to capture, especially given the smaller scale. Given that, I bought a couple more and have since decided to mainly stick to the Hot Toys or 1/6 figures in general because they'll suit me better in the long run. They'll still allow me to enjoy the characters I like while not being as much of a burden on shelf space (and storage space if you keep the boxes).

Sure, they feel toy-like compared to their polystone counterparts and do look dwarfed when sitting next to larger scale pieces but I still enjoy having them displayed on a shelf and would definitely still consider them collectables. Whether you consider them so would depend, as a-dev said, on how you define collectable - and quality. I'd suggest that one common aspect of each definition would be longevity. And, although I'm only new to this, I'd hazard a guess that for the most part just about any piece is going to outlast your ownership if properly looked after.

...I don't really know what you mean when you say Hot Toys figures feel very much like toys and not so much collectibles... they're toy collectibles. Or collectible toys...
Also a very good point. Toy and collectable are certainly not mutually exclusive. While Hot Toys make action figures I'm not inclined to take my DX Jack Sparrow down to the beach and re-enact scenes from the movie. And by the same token I have little doubt that there are people who have collected, and maintained in mint condition, the very same figurines or die-cast cars that I played with (and destroyed) in the backyard when I was little.

If, for you, appreciation in value is a measure of how collectable something is or is going to be then I reckon that has more to do with future availability, popularity of the licence and appeal of the individual piece rather than the actual manufacturer. Each company will have its ups and downs. There will always be points of contention in quality from piece to piece. Even as overall quality increases collectors will undoubtedly become more discerning or particular and start to call out manufacturers on shortcomings that may have gone unnoticed in times gone by.

As I said, I'm only new myself but I would think that just about each and every company spoken about on this or similar boards would have any number of followers who consider them to be 'producing high quality work'. Again, it's just going to come down to what you yourself are looking for in your collectables.

You mentioned you only try to buy your 'absolute favourites' which I assume means you have certain characters or lines to which you're drawn. And if that's what you primarily want to display or collect then that's also going to, at times, limit you to the companies that have access to or focus on those licences. As suggested, the 'Show your Shelves!' section is a great resource for having a browse of what's around but obviously you can also check out each 'Collectibles' section and see what's currently being discussed in there regarding that particular genre.

EDIT: Whoa, that was a long post :horror Sorry about that.

Back