Difference betwee Sideshow and other companies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, proto looked MUCH better.

I still have Han but wish it looked more like the proto.....the eyebrows are my biggest complaint.

I would be very interested in some of these issues getting 'specific' answers. It seems clear that there are commonly generalities addressed but never a specific "reason" given for paint job errors, deviation from prototypes etc.

How about a, "whoops we know the Helms Deep (or Theoden statue) was TOTALLY wrong but there are a BUNCH of Chinese painters on unemployment right now because of it" kinda of comminication.

A great example of these things going unaddressed is this:

I am the proud owner of the SSW Barad-dur giclee. I put up a review of it and several people purchased it based on that review. The one big surprise is that the top matting (most visible surface area) on the piece is white....not taupe as pictured on the SS product page (still taupe today).

I ordered the Gandalf on Gwahir giclee and it came broken. I returned it but the same outter matte was white....not taupe, as pictured on its' SS product page. The white matting on it completely washed out the print. I still want this piece but it is just too bland with the white matting.

Thankfully it didn't detract from the Barad-dur piece!

If these two upper end pieces were misrepresented, why should consumers be alarmed if their PF figure is wrong? I think that with the amount of funds loyal consumers are putting out, SS needs to specifically address concerns once they reach a point of "common knowlege" in the collecting community.

I do not think SS should have to defend minutiae but glaring errors, left uncorrected or unacknowleged, are credibility breakers. As a fan of SS I want to have faith.

Josh, plz do not follow this with a cookie cutter defense of SS. This is a clear, consise, accurate and unemotional issue I have raised. I would love to see Chicky (or other SS rep) give a clear, concise explanation without any unnecessary cheerleading.

I am a long time collector of SSW stuff so my intentions are beyond question at this point. Please don't take offense but I am sure I know the gist of any reply you may give before you give it.

C1eaN said:
Josh, plz do not follow this with a cookie cutter defense of SS. This is a clear, consise, accurate and unemotional issue I have raised. I would love to see Chicky (or other SS rep) give a clear, concise explanation without any unnecessary cheerleading.

I wasn't gonna say a word till you decided to bring me up. Your post was very mature and level headed. I have no problems with those kinds of posts when asking SS stuff. Just when the poster acts like a childish ass. You should know that. However, if I did want to follow up with something I would because I can.:D

C1eaN said:
I am a long time collector of SSW stuff so my intentions are beyond question at this point. Please don't take offense but I am sure I know the gist of any reply you may give before you give it.

As far as you being a long time SSW collector. Congrats:banana so am I and many others on this board alone. Wait about 4-6 weeks and you'll get your super secret decoder ring.:wacky As far as questioning yours, mine, SS, the President of the US, etc. intentions it's always open to questioning. That's just the way the world is now.

jlcmsu said:
I wasn't gonna say a word till you decided to bring me up. Your post was very mature and level headed. I have no problems with those kinds of posts when asking SS stuff. Just when the poster acts like a childish ass. You should know that. However, if I did want to follow up with something I would because I can.:D
You accuse people of complaining, whining, name-calling, cussing, etc. yet may I remind you that it was your post that recently that got deleted for implying I was a childish ass, which prompted my personal rebuttal--which got deleted as well. Then when someone else chimed in, you followed with "Don't bother--it'll go through one ear and out the other" (oh that's right, that got deleted as well).

Please don't talk about civility when you foster an environment where people have to follow up or start their comments with a "don't bash me" disclaimer.

Last edited:
daelith said:
You accuse people of complaining, whining, name-calling, cussing, etc. yet may I remind you that it was your post that recently that got deleted for implying I was a childish ass, which prompted my personal rebuttal--which got deleted as well. Then when someone else chimed in, you followed with "Don't bother--it'll go through one ear and out the other" (oh that's right, that got deleted as well).

Please don't talk about civility when you foster an environment where people have to follow up or start their comments with a "don't bash me" disclaimer.

I wasn't refering to you personally. I didn't say you then that comment. I was commenting in general. As far as the in one ear out the other. I don't believe I mentioned you personally. Though I admit I don't remember because it's not on the top of do I care list.

The only time I come back on someone is when they start posts or mention in a post that SS sucks, SS is stabbing them in the back, this product is a piece of trash, etc. That gets me to say something maybe a tad more heated than I should be. If more posts about products where like C1 minus mentioning me I wouldn't say much of anything when someone says something about SS or a product I like. That's always been my stance and I'm seeing more and more people ask it because we seem to be getting more and more members that just say whatever the hell they want about SS or a product. Instead of taking the time to think about what reactions their post may cause.

I'm not going to be the excuse for folks that all they want to do is *****, moan, and groan. Then not expect to get bashed a little. Constructive criticism is cool and I expect to see it but what is showing up more and more isn't that.

A company must answer to their customers but when they depend so heavily on licensed product they must answer to their licensees. There are many things that we can't know and aren't likely to be told because SSC can't be seen to be dissing their bread & butter.

For example (and this is just fanciful ideas on my part) - if Lucasfilm requests revisions to Vader which moves it more towards RotS and away from ANH, SSC can't complain or tell us that. If Fox won't approve Willow until it looks nothing like the actress, we're not going to find out.

And for other things like production differences, it doesn't make sense for them to say "whoops, we screwed up but there's nothing we can do about it." Do you expect a press release stating the reasons why a matte is white instead of taupe? It just doesn''t make good business sense.

But the one thing they DO do is listen to complaints, interact with their fans/customers and give you a refund if you aren't completely satisfied with a product.

Do you think Hasbro would offer you a refund if you complained that General Grievous can't hold his lightsabers?

Darklord Dave said:
A company must answer to their customers but when they depend so heavily on licensed product they must answer to their licensees. There are many things that we can't know and aren't likely to be told because SSC can't be seen to be dissing their bread & butter.

For example (and this is just fanciful ideas on my part) - if Lucasfilm requests revisions to Vader which moves it more towards RotS and away from ANH, SSC can't complain or tell us that. If Fox won't approve Willow until it looks nothing like the actress, we're not going to find out.

And for other things like production differences, it doesn't make sense for them to say "whoops, we screwed up but there's nothing we can do about it." Do you expect a press release stating the reasons why a matte is white instead of taupe? It just doesn''t make good business sense.

But the one thing they DO do is listen to complaints, interact with their fans/customers and give you a refund if you aren't completely satisfied with a product.

Do you think Hasbro would offer you a refund if you complained that General Grievous can't hold his lightsabers?

Bravo Dave:D

tomandshell said:
I get into a lot more arguments with my wife than with my next door neighbor, because the level of intimacy is exponentially higher. It's the same with Sideshow. They have developed a great and unique relationship with their fans and customers, and we really do feel like we know them and can interact with them, hearing and being heard. Naturally, this allows for higher highs and lower lows in the buyer/seller relationship. I wouldn't trade the occasional minor frustrations for a soulless company that is both deaf and mute.

EXACTLY...I couldn't have put it better Tom, you have to take the good with the bad...Sideshow gets HEAPS (I.E. JLCMSU:D ), of praise from customers as well....In a perfect world all SS would get is praise....but, alas, it isn't so.

Darklord Dave said:

So Dave....your post would suggest that by promoting a product (with pictures) a company is not required to deliver the product, as pictured?

I am interpreting your post as saying it is ok not to deliver as advertised as long as they "listen" to the complaints and "try harder next time"?

I am not sure the taupe issue required a press release but how about:

-updated product page for prospective buyers
-updated photos for prospective buyers
-direct and on topic replies in message boards, like these, where these topics are brought up

Chicky, Dusty etc all participate here, it would be very easy to communicate these things in an informal way.

We have yet to get the real explanation for Helms Deep. Photo lighting.....you aren't buying that are you? The Sauron paint job at last years TORC versus the one people got delivered to their door? You might be happy with a refund but I want the product....done right.

Do I expect them to bare their souls?....No. But please don't follow my post making excuses for a million dollar company that consist of....it's ok as long as they listen and try harder next time....then compare a $10 action figure to a $500 piece of art that is limited to 500 pieces.

jdonoho said:
Ok...where's the joke? I've been trying to find the joke in this thread and haven't seen it yet. ;)

Did you hear about the architectural flaw in the new football stadium in Warsaw?

Everywhere you sit, you're behind a Pole.

We have yet to get the real explanation for Helms Deep. Photo lighting.....you aren't buying that are you?

*cough* WETA wanted it that way*cough

Viking28 said:
*cough* WETA wanted it that way*cough

I have talked to a close firend at SS and know all about many of the "battles" over who sculpted the portraits etc. I have yet to hear that Weta wanted Helms Deep to be advertised as accurate and delivered as flat, matte, primer gray with no contrast detail.

I will have to look into that one.

I guess they wanted the matte to be a different color on the giclees as well :horse

My point is, that it doesn't make sense for a large company to say something is wrong and perhaps cause people that liked the product fine to reconsider their purchases.

Darklord Dave said:
My point is, that it doesn't make sense for a large company to say something is wrong and perhaps cause people that liked the product fine to reconsider their purchases.

good point.....I guess I hadn't considered that angle.....when it comes to glaring flaws my assumption is most see it but some people are easier to please. I would still like to see things like the product pages updated etc with the latest, most accurate info,,,,but your point is well taken....

simply - we all expect great things from this compnay as well as Bowen's...we think of them as the best and when something gets messed up...we don't like it....other companys we think of as sub-par and don't expect the best

Back