DiD: 24th Foot - Rorke's Drift

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Last week", you say? Then maybe mine will be this week. One can only hope.

Slimeyslug, other than the "wooooooooooooooooooo" what are your impressions of him? I've heard that he resembles Micheal Caine. Do you have the DML version? Congratulations on your new acquisition.

Rabbit

"Last week", you say? Then maybe mine will be this week. One can only hope.

Slimeyslug, other than the "wooooooooooooooooooo" what are your impressions of him? I've heard that he resembles Micheal Caine. Do you have the DML version? Congratulations on your new acquisition.

Rabbit

Id say give it two weeks for the shipping :monkey5. Yes there is a slight resemblence to micheal caine and i am very impressed by this guy and the sand bags are a nice touch as well but he keeps falling off my shelf. I usually stick to dragon/DID ww2 figures but seeing how good this guy is im gonna branch out and get some of the DID napoleonic figures as well:sick:sick. DML version explain :naughty:naughty

Never mind. Mine just arrived by the post. I bought the one without the sandbags. His prototype photos look more like Micheal Caine than the finished version. The Zulu shield is a nice touch.

DML made a 24th Foot a couple of years ago. I bought two. He is a Colour Sargent and by swapping one coat with the DiD one I can do "The Man Who Would be King".

zuluhorse-100.jpg

Rabbit

Sergeant Jones, the one DML figure I just wont change out for the DiD update. Might get the boots though, and throw out the moulded ones. But the gaiters are too big for my taste.

IMG_5323.JPG

Monkey Depot, (https://www.monkeydepot.com/), says that he will ship from them on Thursday the 10th for $74.95. I do really like mine. Money well spent even all the way from Blighty!!

Rabbit

Crap, I really wished I didn't click that link, not only is DID's Rorke's Drift coming in on Thursday but so is that SS CIA guy.
I don't even have money for the crap I have on order for next month let alone for anything else. :monkey2
I'm going to have to get both somehow, at least they're now available in the States.
Thanks for the heads up Rabbit!

I finally got mine a couple of hours ago, fantastic figure.
I forgot how great non-Sideshow figures could be, and this one is incredible.
The costume is insane with embroidery, and authentic plastic buttons and insignia. All the belts and pouches are faux leather or with one pouch, cotton cloth. Shoes and Gaiters are top quality faux leather with metal eyelets, real laces and plastic soles. Far better scale and about the same quality as Newline Miniatures' boots. I really have to hunt down some more DID boots for replacements.
The sandbags were a nice surprise, actually quite heavy with PVC Bean bag stuffing and excellent weathering. The weight should keep them secure when stacked. I could see getting another Rorke's Drift figure and making a nice diorama with all the sandbags.

And the Zulu Shield puts this just over the top. It's made from what appears to be the same material as some stuffed animals, but it's highly realistic looking for what it's supposed to be. The backing they used for the shield is some type of stiff material that looks like suede and is very realistic. The spear shaft is wood topped with what appears to be some more faux animal pelt.
I managed to get the shield on the far right:
80053-19.jpg

Which is just perfect, I either wanted that one or the one on the far left. :D
Sculpt and paint is phenomenal! nice amount of texture on the skin lending to incredible detail. The sculpt looks like Michael Caine, but I think it's the slightly darker eyebrow and hair paint that's throwing off the likeness. Caine should be much more blonde. But it's still very well painted.
About the only thing I didn't like was the real wood and metal rifle. Plastic would've given sharper more accurate detail. I also would've liked a more rifle posed hand instead of the pistol grip used here.

Packaging- ****
Sculpt- ****
Paint- ****
Body- ***
Costume- ****+
Accessories- ****
Value- ***
Overall- ****
If you're at all interested in this figure, you should definitely get one! :banana

I'm surprised to see Military-Historical still being done here. Nice review, SM. I got the 4th shield, also.

I thought that I would post a shot of my Martini-Henry rifle collection for comparison.

Martini-Henry024.JPG

1-Cotswold
2-DML
3-DiD
4-An actual one

Rabbit

id say the middle one looks the best, its a shame the guy only has a pistol grip and cant properly hold the rifle but it can be solved with a little change of hand. love to get a real henry, sold my lee enfield 303 a couple of months ago just ran out of space for the thing

Last edited:
The Dragon one does look best.
It's a shame about DID's Martini-Henry, they made the Receiver out of wood when it should've been all metal. At first I couldn't put my finger on exactly why the Receiver was looking so rough and unfinished, until after I examined it and found out it's actually made completely of wood and painted gunmetal gray to look like metal.
Very disappointing.
Rabbit, is the Cotswold Martini-Henry rifle better then the DiD version?

Good idea Slimeyslug. I'll have to see if I might already have a DiD rifle hand, but I think those are Bendy hands and DiD never made a cast plastic rifle hand. I'll have to look into it.

Last edited:
Quote:
"Rabbit, is the Cotswold Martini-Henry rifle better then the DiD version?"

In my opinion I would rate them thus:
4-The original (can't be any more realistic than this)
2-Dragon
3-DiD (close to Dragon)
and last
4- Cots

Rabbit

Quote:
"Rabbit, is the Cotswold Martini-Henry rifle better then the DiD version?"

In my opinion I would rate them thus:
4-The original (can't be any more realistic than this)
2-Dragon
3-DiD (close to Dragon)
and last
4- Cots

Rabbit

Thanks, you just saved me $4! :D

Back