Dexter Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing good came out of that twist. Except Dexter realizing "Travis has his own dark Passenger" or whatever

And, the twist might be good the first time you see it.

But it is also NOT brilliant because on second viewing you realize how stupid it was.

Yeah, I agree. The twist didn't matter. Not in a "holy crap, she's a dude!" or "ah, the kid's psychiatrist was dead all along" kind of way. It was more like, "ah, ok, so instead of being two killers, it was actually just one and his imaginary friend". So what? I mean, I only watched it once, and maybe not all that closely, so maybe I'm missing how this twist advanced the narrative or its reading in any new direction once it was revealed.

And on the subject of Travis, Dexter drops his blood slide? The one trophy he reverently retains from each of his kills, he drops and leaves as potential evidence. OK, so he was interrupted by his sister, that's got to shake him up a bit. But even so, his job after Deb walked in and then out again was to clean everything up. He never returned to his flat and wondered, "hey, that thing I do after EVERY kill, put the slide of victim's blood in my little slide box, I never got round to that - I wonder where it is".

The biggest letdown was Dexter became so domesticated... it felt like they were turning him into a rubber band that would snap at some point. All of the facade of being normal and well adjusted was to hide a monster under the surface. There was always a threat of his secret life being exposed. They understood this during the first years of the show and it was the source of an ever present tension.
When Trinity killed Rita I think most people expected Dex to return to being dangerous on a level unseen before.

They didn't ever let Dexter snap. They just let him keep moving towards normal. As he did the show became less intense. Dexter's voiceover stopped being about blood and the dark passenger to instead "I have to pick up Harrison from school".

As with all twists there'll be those who see it coming. But those thinking that this twist could be generally categorized as obvious are quite wrong. I'm not necessary callin out any of you as lying. But I'd bet my future it surprised more than some people think.

This twist, along with a few others, will go down as some of dexters most brilliant scenes/surprises through it's lifetime.

Too bad dexter had to end on rough seas so to speak...

if you read this thread, people called it that Geller was a ghost from the 2nd episode.

I didn't buy it. But when it happened, I rolled my eyes, and said "of course."

And then it got worse from there. Really bad twist. Really bad season.

The biggest letdown was Dexter became so domesticated... it felt like they were turning him into a rubber band that would snap at some point. All of the facade of being normal and well adjusted was to hide a monster under the surface. There was always a threat of his secret life being exposed. They understood this during the first years of the show and it was the source of an ever present tension.
When Trinity killed Rita I think most people expected Dex to return to being dangerous on a level unseen before.

They didn't ever let Dexter snap. They just let him keep moving towards normal. As he did the show became less intense. Dexter's voiceover stopped being about blood and the dark passenger to instead "I have to pick up Harrison from school".

and we have Michael C Hall to thank for that :lol

I didn't know completely that Gellar was fake, but there were Too many hints that he was fake.

Like the coffee shop and how the girl kept ignoring him, everyone kept ignoring Gellar. That was too obvious, if you were a little bit smart you would figure out that people were ignoring Gellar when they were outside

I Was hoping the whole time that Gellar was actually real and that the twist was that he was real.

I also HATED that Gellar was fake because Colin Hanks was not strong enough to carry the season alone as the main villain.

He was just pretty pathetic as season 6 Big Bad. When it was both Gellar and Travis it was cool.

But once Travis was the only one, the season lost it all. There was no real tension, You didn't feel scared about Travis, he was too weak to go against Dexter.

Exactly my thoughts.

I knew Gellar wasn't real, I had figured it out earlier in the season. I actually figured most Dexter fans had figured it out too to be honest. The way it was scripted seemed to telegraph it to me. They could've totally saved the season if they would've had Gellar be alive. It'd actually give some depth to the end scene if Dexter was killing Gellar when Debra walked in on him in the act. Gellar used Travis and pretty much nobody could find Gellar, would've been easier to "vanish" him.

It just made no sense for Travis to just automatically switch to "Evil Travis" like he did.... not only was it bad acting but it was a horrible plot device. Hanks only worked in that role if he was still an innocent weak pawn, he failed outside of those parameters.

Besides that, you got Edward James Freaking Olmos on the show! How is he not the guy you put Dexter up against at the end???????

Screen-Shot-2013-09-24-at-7.46.25-PM.png

:lol :lol :exactly:

I like that in that pic, Walt Jr. looks like he's dressed up like Velma from Scooby Doo on a fishing trip.

Dexter's voiceover stopped being about blood and the dark passenger to instead "I have to pick up Harrison from school".

This one statement pretty much is a perfect summation of "what" went wrong. It was the very core of who he was that changed and that was worse than any silly side stories, etc. that contributed to the poor story.

Damn you people for posting breaking bad spoilers!!!!!!!!!! WTF!?!?!?

On another note. The Dexter finale...I just watched it. I unfortunately had caught the rumour of Deb's death so it did not catch me off guard. I thought the point of Dexter taking her body out to sea was so that they could die together. Instead, he robs her of a proper Police funeral, and made her fish food...so he basically screwed her over in death too. Like others suggested, I really wanted to see some evidence that Lumberjack Dexter was killing (if he had to be alive).

I had always thought the series would end with Dexter turning himself in. Basically a "I'm the Bay Harbour Butcher" confession and fade to black kind of thing so that we could speculate what happens from there. All we are left to speculate is whether he is killing anything besides trees, now.

Season 8 bad, but I am very sad to see the show go. Not as sad as I was with Lost...even though I liked Dexter a lot more. The thing with Dexter is that it could've easily bounced back with a great season 9. No Hannah, no Harrison, no Deb (which would've sucked)...but Dexter could've returned to Miami and continued on. Or so I think. The cookie cutter season archs this show used made it almost sitcom, where life rebooted whenever necessary...or after 30 mins.

Damn you people for posting breaking bad spoilers!!!!!!!!!! WTF!?!?!?

On another note. The Dexter finale...I just watched it. I unfortunately had caught the rumour of Deb's death so it did not catch me off guard. I thought the point of Dexter taking her body out to sea was so that they could die together. Instead, he robs her of a proper Police funeral, and made her fish food...so he basically screwed her over in death too. Like others suggested, I really wanted to see some evidence that Lumberjack Dexter was killing (if he had to be alive).

I had always thought the series would end with Dexter turning himself in. Basically a "I'm the Bay Harbour Butcher" confession and fade to black kind of thing so that we could speculate what happens from there. All we are left to speculate is whether he is killing anything besides trees, now.

Season 8 bad, but I am very sad to see the show go. Not as sad as I was with Lost...even though I liked Dexter a lot more. The thing with Dexter is that it could've easily bounced back with a great season 9. No Hannah, no Harrison, no Deb (which would've sucked)...but Dexter could've returned to Miami and continued on. Or so I think. The cookie cutter season archs this show used made it almost sitcom, where life rebooted whenever necessary...or after 30 mins.

Showtime wanted a 9 season,

Michael C hall wanted to quit in season 7 or something. Not only is MCH probably responsible for Hannah coming back, but he denied to work on season 9.

And, while I can understand and even respect the fact that he was tired and wanted to do something else, I hate that they messed up season 8 so badly and that they brought Hannah back.

That's why I Think it is all Bull---- when they say that they knew exactly how Dexter was going to end,
How could they know that when Showtime was begging them for another season.

They could have made something else if MCH played along

I couldn't take another season of this terrible show.

I could if season 8 was the same, but it ended with Hannah getting killed, and Dexter on the run from the law in season 9.

finally losing himself but starting to kill random people in Miami.
That, even if it was bad, I would watch

I remember hearing about possibly having a season 9 before 8 premiered. As bad as 8 was, I kinda would've liked seeing it go another season just to see how much further they could flush this turd.

Back