Dexter Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with the last four years is they came up with a premise for the season and they thought that's all they needed.

Season 5 - A rich, successful celebrity is dumping women's bodies and Dex finds a survivor. Dexter teaches her how to even the score.

That little bit doesn't sound too bad. It's what they did with it that was lame. Lumen would have been more interesting if they didn't just turn her into the next girlfriend.

If they left her as someone who was self-destructing and Dexter - messed up from Trinity killing Rita - is fine with her self destruction. He's not going to stop her, he's just going to make sure she gets what she wants in the process.

No, they couldn't leave it at that, they had to make her 'normal' again. She couldn't just go out in a blaze as a cautionary example to Dexter. She should have died (horribly) and left Dex thinking about the direction he's heading. Her final act should be something her thinks about whenever he has someone on the table.

Also... Evil Tony Robbins was stupid.

Season 6 - Doomsday killer. A serial killer uses disturbing biblical imagery, building towards a Judgment day involving Dexter.

They start off with an idea that could be decent, but have no idea how to deliver. Dexter going up against a "movie villian" should be epic, but this season is unfixable from top to bottom. I could waste my day talking about everything that's messed up this season. There's a split personality gag we all saw coming from miles away. A wasted opportunity to use EJO. CGI gore. Deb getting the hots for Dex. Harrison is clearly a burden for the writers at this point so they just have Angel's sister always with him.

But the last episode ends with Deb seeing Dexter perform a kill. This should have been a game changing event for the show.

um, yeah...

Season 7 - Sirko/Firebug

This season they did two story arcs, and the first one was pretty watchable. Ray Stevenson and the gay hitman looking to kill Dexter (who killed Sirko's lover). Quinn has a lame b-story that gets in the way. If the writers would focus the first 3/4 of this season would have been solid. Dexter goes after a Jigsaw killer style clone, also entertaining. The season really ends with Sirko's death, then there's 3 or 4 episodes about the firebug who just isn't that awesome. Also there's Hanna. Eyecandy, pointless character.

Deb totally wusses out and help Dex cover his tracks for last season. LaGuerta goes into irritating character overdrive. She's so unlikable Angel divoriced her - BETWEEN SEASONS!! When Deb has a gun pointed at her I remember thinking "DO IT!!!" At this point the show feels like it's gone past it's shelf life.

And of course season eight happened.

Season 8 - Who give a sh-t? Hey, let's build our major story arc around the most worthless character from last season, Hanna McCay!!!

Dexter becomes a secondary character on his own show. Musuko's daughter. Deb and her boss. Quinn trying to become captain and getting busy with Angel's sis. Angel waltzes back into his old job to find his ex-wife's killer, which he spends no time doing. Hanna shows up and poisons Dex and Deb "oops, sorry." Deb attempts to kill Dex - "oops, sorry". Dr. Vogel tries to bore the audience to death - "oops, sorry"

Lots of noise and running around, none of it feeling very important. Deb basically dies off screen of an emalism and Dex pulls the plug to finish the job. (I guess that real life divorice did leave some hurt feelings)

In the end Dexter fakes his death and Alfred finds him sipping tea in Florence. Looking like a lumberjack. Whatever. Talk about pulling stupid sh-t from your ***, what an ending.

When Scott Buck took over as head writer there should have been a plan. I'll never believe this was anything other than make it up as you go along.

At some point I'll re-watch seasons one and two, maybe four. But that's all. Watching this show felt like toughing it out rather than something I looked forward to.

Lesson learned - Next show I watch that takes a nosedive, I'm out. There was no return to greatness for this show, and audience loyalty was not rewarded.

The problem with the last four years is they came up with a premise for the season and they thought that's all they needed.

Season 5 - A rich, successful celebrity is dumping women's bodies and Dex finds a survivor. Dexter teaches her how to even the score.

That little bit doesn't sound too bad. It's what they did with it that was lame. Lumen would have been more interesting if they didn't just turn her into the next girlfriend.

If they left her as someone who was self-destructing and Dexter - messed up from Trinity killing Rita - is fine with her self destruction. He's not going to stop her, he's just going to make sure she gets what she wants in the process.

No, they couldn't leave it at that, they had to make her 'normal' again. She couldn't just go out in a blaze as a cautionary example to Dexter. She should have died (horribly) and left Dex thinking about the direction he's heading. Her final act should be something her thinks about whenever he has someone on the table.

Also... Evil Tony Robbins was stupid.

Season 6 - Doomsday killer. A serial killer uses disturbing biblical imagery, building towards a Judgment day involving Dexter.

They start off with an idea that could be decent, but have no idea how to deliver. Dexter going up against a "movie villian" should be epic, but this season is unfixable from top to bottom. I could waste my day talking about everything that's messed up this season. There's a split personality gag we all saw coming from miles away. A wasted opportunity to use EJO. CGI gore. Deb getting the hots for Dex. Harrison is clearly a burden for the writers at this point so they just have Angel's sister always with him.

But the last episode ends with Deb seeing Dexter perform a kill. This should have been a game changing event for the show.

um, yeah...

Season 7 - Sirko/Firebug

This season they did two story arcs, and the first one was pretty watchable. Ray Stevenson and the gay hitman looking to kill Dexter (who killed Sirko's lover). Quinn has a lame b-story that gets in the way. If the writers would focus the first 3/4 of this season would have been solid. Dexter goes after a Jigsaw killer style clone, also entertaining. The season really ends with Sirko's death, then there's 3 or 4 episodes about the firebug who just isn't that awesome. Also there's Hanna. Eyecandy, pointless character.

Deb totally wusses out and help Dex cover his tracks for last season. LaGuerta goes into irritating character overdrive. She's so unlikable Angel divoriced her - BETWEEN SEASONS!! When Deb has a gun pointed at her I remember thinking "DO IT!!!" At this point the show feels like it's gone past it's shelf life.

And of course season eight happened.

Season 8 - Who give a sh-t? Hey, let's build our major story arc around the most worthless character from last season, Hanna McCay!!!

Dexter becomes a secondary character on his own show. Musuko's daughter. Deb and her boss. Quinn trying to become captain and getting busy with Angel's sis. Angel waltzes back into his old job to find his ex-wife's killer, which he spends no time doing. Hanna shows up and poisons Dex and Deb "oops, sorry." Deb attempts to kill Dex - "oops, sorry". Dr. Vogel tries to bore the audience to death - "oops, sorry"

Lots of noise and running around, none of it feeling very important. Deb basically dies off screen of an emalism and Dex pulls the plug to finish the job. (I guess that real life divorice did leave some hurt feelings)

In the end Dexter fakes his death and Alfred finds him sipping tea in Florence. Looking like a lumberjack. Whatever. Talk about pulling stupid sh-t from your ***, what an ending.

When Scott Buck took over as head writer there should have been a plan. I'll never believe this was anything other than make it up as you go along.

At some point I'll re-watch seasons one and two, maybe four. But that's all. Watching this show felt like toughing it out rather than something I looked forward to.

Lesson learned - Next show I watch that takes a nosedive, I'm out. There was no return to greatness for this show, and audience loyalty was not rewarded.

Excellent post. I am going to save this for future reading. (Im not being sarcastic, you explain the problems perfectly :hi5: )

And Actually. Now that you mention it, About:

"When Scott Buck took over as head writer there should have been a plan. I'll never believe this was anything other than make it up as you go along. "

I did hear Colin Hanks Podcast for Season 6 of Dexter when they had him on,

And he clearly says that before season 6 started the two killers were supposed to be real. he says that he never knew Gellar was fake Until like the 4th episode or 6th episode was recorded. (something like that)

I remember he said that the story kept being changed and rewritten, and that He didn't even believe them about Gellar at first, Because he didn't believe they would actually make Gellar imaginary.

I remember Colin saying that things were being changed even on set the day of filming.

I never put too much attention to that, And I even forgot about it.

But now that I think about it. It makes sense. His interview is very telling.

They probably did the same in season 7 and 8. They were probably re writing and changing the plot between takes.

So, what you said about Scott Buck and having a plan. Yeah, They probably were making crap up on the spot.

I left out how the violence and tone of the show progressed from NC-17 to PG-13.

It made a big difference. Dexter the series used to occasionally shock it's audience with it's brutality, in the end it was shocking in how bad it was.

Bad writing. Yeah, I think they were making stuff up on the spot and hoping to work it out in the edit room.

I left out how the violence and tone of the show progressed from NC-17 to PG-13.

It made a big difference. Dexter the series used to occasionally shock it's audience with it's brutality, in the end it was shocking in how bad it was.

Bad writing. Yeah, I think they were making stuff up on the spot and hoping to work it out in the edit room.

That was probably due to the fan base changing and Dexter getting more famous.

I think once Dexter got to a point where even my Grandma knew who Dexter was they decided to stop with the violence.

The WGA strike is to blame (in part). CBS ran an edited version of Dexter on it's main network channel to plug holes in it's schedule during the writer's strike. Dexter was made safe for mainstream audiences and it stuck.

The WGA strike is to blame (in part). CBS ran an edited version of Dexter on it's main network channel to plug holes in it's schedule during the writer's strike. Dexter was made safe for mainstream audiences and it stuck.

Oh my god I remember that...... :yuck:yuck

the worst thing was having commercials every 5 minutes... Dexter really felt like some CSI Rip off because of all the commercials...

I remember now, that was awful .

Blah blah blah, etc etc etc...

You just made me realize that I spent four years watching this show and realizing it was going downhill, but until I read that I din't realize just how bad and how long it was bad. Besides Sirko, I could have skipped every other character introduced and been just fine with it.

Well, the minotaur guy was pretty entertaining at the time. So, many weird things in the last few seasons that just went nowhere, the latest of which was the introduction of Matsuka's daughter. :dunno

I still have zero problems with season 5; I like it a lot in fact. It suffers as a result of following Lithgow's whirlwind, but I thought it was a very entertaining season.

I kinda like Season 5 as well. When I watch it I find myself getting caught up in it. Although my problem with it is the ending. For a finale titled "the big one" its really not lol. I think Deb should have caught Dex at the end when everyone thought Quinn would.

Season 6 isn't too bad on me either. Is it cheesy? Yes, but there are some likable and quotable moments for me as well as some good kills.

Season 7 started out good for me, I liked watching Deb find out and deal with the discovery of her bro as a killer but then Hannah came along lol. I love Yvonne Strahovski and was excited to hear her join the cast but man did her character suck. Pointless and lame.

Season 8...I pretend never existed. Just like T3 :)

I love how lame the Dexter facebook is.

551302_10153315809250271_27231477_n.jpg

"Sundays will never be the same."

:rolleyes:

The funniest thing is how his hair style is almost exactly the same :lol:lol
I didn't know Lumberjacks used hair gel :rotfl

^ That's tree sap.

The series should've ended with Dexter at the bottom of the ocean. I thought him taking Debra out on the boat would be the set-up for that. I figured she'd take him out there or he'd be mortally wounded and throw himself in.

You have to remember some thing that changes the character. Dexter killed a few innocent people that they never truly explained. To me, I always felt that was either poor writing or would come back to haunt him (it should have)

like I said before....there were at least 100 different better possible endings.

gT5lxoH-1-288x1024.jpg

^ That's tree sap.

The series should've ended with Dexter at the bottom of the ocean. I thought him taking Debra out on the boat would be the set-up for that. I figured she'd take him out there or he'd be mortally wounded and throw himself in.

You have to remember some thing that changes the character. Dexter killed a few innocent people that they never truly explained. To me, I always felt that was either poor writing or would come back to haunt him (it should have)

like I said before....there were at least 100 different better possible endings.

gT5lxoH-1-288x1024.jpg

That's a riot :lol

“I would change everything if I could. I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry…”

They posted this quote on the Dexter Facebook feed, and the responses basically boil down to "Is this in reference to the finale?" :lol

Back