Detolf cleaning

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T3xrr

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just wondering, what are u guys using to clean the glass in your detolfs? Is it safe for collectibles to use windex or regular glass cleaner?
What's safe to use or recommended?

I have never used windex, I don't recommend it. I think because of the lights/heat the windex would leave permanent streaks. I just use a swiffer every now and then.

glass is glass. you want PERFECTLY clean glass? I'll share the secret.

Windex it first to get off any grease/ fingerprints.

then use a paper towl and some water to get the windex streaks off.

then buff with a dry paper towel for final polish.

many a year ago i worked in a movie theatre, and had to do windows and popcorn sneezegaurds nightly. do those steps, and you'll have perfectly transparent glass.

note, use some elbow grease ( alot of pressure) when buffing with the dry paper towel.

glass is glass. you want PERFECTLY clean glass? I'll share the secret.

Windex it first to get off any grease/ fingerprints.

then use a paper towl and some water to get the windex streaks off.

then buff with a dry paper towel for final polish.

many a year ago i worked in a movie theatre, and had to do windows and popcorn sneezegaurds nightly. do those steps, and you'll have perfectly transparent glass.

note, use some elbow grease ( alot of pressure) when buffing with the dry paper towel.

But is the windex safe for collectibles. Should I buy a all natural windex?

But is the windex safe for collectibles. Should I buy a all natural windex?

I don't see a problem as long as you're not getting any directly on the collectibles. Once a month I take the shelves out and clean them with Windex wipes followed by a damp paper towel. No problems so far.

Yep, I use Windex as well and clean them inside out.

Takes me years to clean though, since i ____ around with my collectibles while removing them and reposing them.

I remember someone mentioning air freshners could damage rubber figures. :dunno
I couldn't care less to be honest. If they need cleaning then they need cleaning. I can't enjoy any part of this hobby if I'm always worried my stuff might be getting damaged by the slightest thing so I stopped that a long time ago.

Wayne, you think ammonia would damage collectibles in a Detolf over a long period of time?.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it too much bro. That stuff evaporates pretty quickly, and I figure enough time passes between your Windexing the levels inside, and placing each figure back in and reposing them.

I use the ammonia free stuff just for peace of mind, but it's just a precaution really. If its something that really concerns you, I would just leave the door open for a few extra minutes after cleaning, to air it out.

Thanks a lot everyone. I just bought some no ammonia/bleach/dyes glass cleaner like wayne said and it works well.

Back