Describe your ideal brick n mortar collectible store

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thoth Inglorion

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Unsure where to post this but here goes...
I'm kicking around the idea of opening my own movie collectibles/sundry store. New/used/consignment. One reason I'm thinking that it is a viable idea is the utter crappiness of so many stores I have visited. You know the types - dirty, ugly, empty, unwelcoming, arrogant yadda yadda. I know what people don't want - I'd like to hear what they do. Examples from stores you have really liked are welcome, or just describe the ideal. I only ask that you stay realistic. Nobody has the cash to stock the entire Sideshow line or 3 of every UC LotR sword. Indulge yourself, tho. Where would YOU want to shop? For what lines? And what would keep you coming back?

I always wonder how these places even stay in business in this day and age. So many collectibles they have scalped from other, cheaper retail places and mark up double, triple the price. Who buys from them? How can they afford the electric bill and overhead? It's great to browse collectible stores but more often then not you are better off shopping online from home or somewhere else.

Unsure where to post this but here goes...
I'm kicking around the idea of opening my own movie collectibles/sundry store. New/used/consignment. One reason I'm thinking that it is a viable idea is the utter crappiness of so many stores I have visited. You know the types - dirty, ugly, empty, unwelcoming, arrogant yadda yadda. I know what people don't want - I'd like to hear what they do. Examples from stores you have really liked are welcome, or just describe the ideal. I only ask that you stay realistic. Nobody has the cash to stock the entire Sideshow line or 3 of every UC LotR sword. Indulge yourself, tho. Where would YOU want to shop? For what lines? And what would keep you coming back?

I like the idea of local stores, where you don't have to pay shipping. I also would like it well stocked with current and newest stuff. Clean and inviting is always prefered of course, to keep me coming back I would like to see the store stocked with more than just figures but with lots of accessoires pieces like truetypes and the like, uniform sets, weapon sets and dioramas. Its also nice to have a diorama setup behind glass doors showcasing some figures.

Good luck on your dream buddy, hope this helps!

Physical stores are cool and all, but they cannot match online for sheer accessibility and availability. 1/6 collectors are a very niche community, and unless you are in a major population center, you are missing out on a huge amount of your target base. Even successful companies with a physical store component have a large online or ebay presence as well, which is probably the bulk of their sales.

That said, stores that part out boxed sets vice just have a boxed set sales are more interesting to me.

Back