DCD Watchmen - The Comedian 13" figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
couple of manhattan...

015.jpg

030.jpg

What, Alan Moore's insanity is off-limits now?

The guy is crazy. That's pretty common among brilliant people. I have enormous respect for the guy but he's not right in the head. Fortunately for all of us we spews all that craziness out on the page and we have the pleasure of reading it.

But still, he's nuts.

I think the accepted p.c. term is "eccentric", but yeah, he's crazy!

OK, if you say so.

I hope you enjoy your "Only Person in the World Who Doesn't Think Alan Moore Is Crazy" title. If you could fit it on big velvety crown it would look pretty sweet.

ugh, some people. It continues to amaze me when fans of Moore ridicule and malign him. Especially when they have no idea what they are talking about. I suppose I have to get used to the talking-out-of-their-ass crowd again coming out of the woodwork with this newest film release.

So why are you so adamant that he's mentally ill? what's your diagnosis eh, doc? psychotic? schizophrenic? or do you think he's "weird" and "crazy" because he's different than you for having a long beard, rings, or not ascribing to a major religion? oh no, it's because he won't support a movie you want to see, that he was screwed over by DC and now refuses to have anything to do with the Hollywood bastardization of his work. Only a crazy person would disavow an adaptation of their work and refuse a paycheck!? :rolleyes: Sure Moore may be strange and have interests that aren't main stream, but he isn't mentally ill in the slightest.

Moore on magic: "I've always sympathized with Brian Eno's theory, that if you were a mechanic you'd want to know what to look for under the hood if the car seized up. I'm dependent on writing for a living, so really it's to my advantage to understand how the creative process works. One of the problems is, when you start to do that, in effect you're going to have to step off the edge of science and rationality."

Last edited:
You know, if DC was the one company that had difficulties working with Alan Moore I might be a little sympathetic to the "OMG DC IS EVIL!" mentality that Moore seems to have but as it stands you can't go from publisher to publisher burning bridges with every one of them and expect me to think it's always the publisher's fault.

The guy's writing kicks ass. That's all that matters to me. He's just firmly established himself as unrealistically eccentric and demanding.

As for creators rights and "Watchmen", had Moore gotten his way and been able to use the Charleston Comics characters he would have had 0% creators rights. He'd had problems with creative rights before working with DC on "Watchmen" and he made the deal with DC anyway. He was under the impression that the rights would revert to him and Gibbons when DC allowed them to go out-of-print for a year and he was naive enough to think that was even within the realm of possibility. Whose fault is that?

The point is, even if you take a scenario in which Moore's Charleston pitch was rejected by DC and he takes the pitch elsewhere (let's just use Marvel for example) it still wouldn't fly. As owners of the copyright to "The Question" do you think DC would have allowed Moore and another publisher to publish Rorschach? Hell no. You pick your battles re: creative rights and Moore really doesn't have much of a case when it comes to "Watchmen". He deserves credit for writing the uncontested masterpiece of the comic medium but you pretty much give up your right to play the "creator's rights" card when you pitch an idea using characters that were created before you were born.

As for the "Watchmen" movie, Moore needs to be a little more reasonable in regards to Hollywood. Sure, "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" was a disaster but it's obvious to everyone but Alan Moore that the production of the "Watchmen" film is completely opposite of that. They extended the olive branch and tried to get his blessing and cooperation but because of his naive view on the "Watchmen" rights and a disrespectful adaptation that's completely unrelated he is being stubborn.

On top of that you have people like David Lloyd painting a different picture of Moore's attitude towards film deals in the past and it's hard to feel sympathetic for Moore's current situation.

Ultimately the film is done and by most accounts it successfully translates of the greatness of the comic to the screen and has managed to do so without erasing Moore's original comic from the face of the earth, and even a "Batman & Robin"-style disaster isn't going to affect the quality of the book itself.

I am actually quote impressed with this figure. You can get them on ebay for around $85 and it is worth that. The suit is real rubber and harder rubber for the armor pieces, it is not molded on like I though it would be. He has a very cool ammunition belt and holsters for the guns and knife.The mask comes on and off easy, two guns, two extra hands, knife and display base. I like it and I would recommend it no problem.

I am actually quote impressed with this figure. You can get them on ebay for around $85 and it is worth that. The suit is real rubber and harder rubber for the armor pieces, it is not molded on like I though it would be. He has a very cool ammunition belt and holsters for the guns and knife.The mask comes on and off easy, two guns, two extra hands, knife and display base. I like it and I would recommend it no problem.

I 100% agree. I only wish it had the older head too. That would have offset the price slightly.

If you stop talking about Moore, he won't be able to live for anther 500 years.

Those pictures make the Comedian look pretty good. Post some more, orc.

Anyone seen the Rorschach 1:6 anywhere?

You know, if DC was the one company that had difficulties working with Alan Moore I might be a little sympathetic to the "OMG DC IS EVIL!" mentality that Moore seems to have but as it stands you can't go from publisher to publisher burning bridges with every one of them and expect me to think it's always the publisher's fault.

The guy's writing kicks ass. That's all that matters to me. He's just firmly established himself as unrealistically eccentric and demanding.

As for creators rights and "Watchmen", had Moore gotten his way and been able to use the Charleston Comics characters he would have had 0% creators rights. He'd had problems with creative rights before working with DC on "Watchmen" and he made the deal with DC anyway. He was under the impression that the rights would revert to him and Gibbons when DC allowed them to go out-of-print for a year and he was naive enough to think that was even within the realm of possibility. Whose fault is that?

The point is, even if you take a scenario in which Moore's Charleston pitch was rejected by DC and he takes the pitch elsewhere (let's just use Marvel for example) it still wouldn't fly. As owners of the copyright to "The Question" do you think DC would have allowed Moore and another publisher to publish Rorschach? Hell no. You pick your battles re: creative rights and Moore really doesn't have much of a case when it comes to "Watchmen". He deserves credit for writing the uncontested masterpiece of the comic medium but you pretty much give up your right to play the "creator's rights" card when you pitch an idea using characters that were created before you were born.

As for the "Watchmen" movie, Moore needs to be a little more reasonable in regards to Hollywood. Sure, "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" was a disaster but it's obvious to everyone but Alan Moore that the production of the "Watchmen" film is completely opposite of that. They extended the olive branch and tried to get his blessing and cooperation but because of his naive view on the "Watchmen" rights and a disrespectful adaptation that's completely unrelated he is being stubborn.

On top of that you have people like David Lloyd painting a different picture of Moore's attitude towards film deals in the past and it's hard to feel sympathetic for Moore's current situation.

Ultimately the film is done and by most accounts it successfully translates of the greatness of the comic to the screen and has managed to do so without erasing Moore's original comic from the face of the earth, and even a "Batman & Robin"-style disaster isn't going to affect the quality of the book itself.

alanmooremagick.jpg

I agree completely... I think that it'd be fair to speculate that Moore might suffer from Aspergers syndrome or another condition in the same vein... Now I would like to state that the man is a comic writing genius and I love all of his work that I've read. However, he seems to have emotive issues and seems to have some type of problem with dealing with people, or business people to be more concise...

But I can purely speculate this idea...

From everything I've read Moore isn't crazy or socially inept, he's just horribly single minded. Someone posted links to an extensive interview that's on Youtube and in that he's very articulate and funny - definitely a guy you'd want to have a conversation with. He talks about when a check comes in for a movie project and he turns it over to the artist on the book, refusing to take any money, but realizing it's kind of silly to have this position, yet maintaining it anyway.

couple of quick ones...

086.jpg

100.jpg

081.jpg

If it weren't for the cut biceps and abdomen it would be a pretty sweet figure. I understand the need for the cut biceps, articulation wise, but it is jarring to see. They could have found a more hidden spot IMO. I still think it is one of DCD's best movie-based figures.

couple more...

050.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

034-1.jpg

030-1.jpg

020.jpg

i agree dc could find a better spot to hide the articulation on the arms. it would make it look less jarring.

From everything I've read Moore isn't crazy or socially inept, he's just horribly single minded. Someone posted links to an extensive interview that's on Youtube and in that he's very articulate and funny - definitely a guy you'd want to have a conversation with. He talks about when a check comes in for a movie project and he turns it over to the artist on the book, refusing to take any money, but realizing it's kind of silly to have this position, yet maintaining it anyway.

Anyone who lends their voice to The Simpsons and actively takes part in making fun of himself is fine in my book. Sanity is overrated anyway. :lol

Why cant they do the mid-bicep cuts like the marvel legend ones? Its not as ugly. Is it for the sake of being original?

idk...cheaper and easier maybe? i like the way the new he-man figures hide the bicep articulation. it would be cool if dc had done it like that since the 13'' dc stuff feels like big action figures anyway...body-wise at least.

Anyone know if they are cutting the line at 3? You'd think with the flurry of females coming out that Silk Spectre would be a no-brainer and with the TDK Bats stuff out that Nite Owl would be up their alley....Ozy himself doesn't look too far removed from the actual Batman Begins model either....

Okay here is the stock look (thanks to Angry Orc providing it.)

I hated it. The hairstyle didn't match the young Comedian whose hair was like this:

jeffrey_dean_morgan_as_the_comedian_watchmen_movie_image1.jpg

or like this:

the-comedian.jpg

The hairstyle was more a kin to the older Comedian from the 1985 look. Not to mention the lack of paint under the domino mask. So my wife has been dying to get into the action figure game so she took a shot at aging my Comedian.

So here is the final product.

MyComedian001.jpg

MyComedian002.jpg

MyComedian005.jpg

MyComedian009.jpg

I love it!

looks good mike! i did the same thing to the eyes the other day when i got home from the movie. haven't messed with the hair yet but the eye thing was really bugging me.

Back