Statue Darth Maul Legendary Scale Bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah there seems to be a little bloat. And the eye design looks great, but to me it looks like they are slightly centered away from each other, like pointing outwards? I don't know why I'm describing that so poorly.

Yeah there seems to be a little bloat. And the eye design looks great, but to me it looks like they are slightly centered away from each other, like pointing outwards? I don't know why I'm describing that so poorly.

I noticed about the eyes, too.

The hood doesn't look natural. Doesn't have that soft, natural flow feel to it. It would be better to cover upper part of his forhead a little. it would give him some shading to it.

This may be part of your point anyway, but hood is sculpted, right? The cloth on the life size looks really good, so the sculpting definitely isn't helping the appearance.

Of the three, I like the expression on Legendary Scale the best by far.

I've decided against buying this. Looking at this piece, there doesn't appear to be any umph to it. I've decided to only spend my money on statues where Ss captures the essence behind a character. It looks like maul taking his high school yearbook photo. I don't think there's any emotion in the piece where he's a character who's supposed to be rotten and evil inside and filled with anger. Sideshow could have done much better with this. His face is one of the most expressfull in the series, covered in art and aggressive contours and they just made him blah IMHO. Sorry Ss, this was a def buy for me if you had done this right. I think the boards agree from the lack of activity in this thread.

Yea. There is not much passion in the expression of this piece.

That is very important when it comes to Darth Maul. He is physical, aggressive and passionate. This is present in the 1:1 bust and also in the LSF. The body expression does this for him.

But this piece is dead.

That is very important when it comes to Darth Maul. He is physical, aggressive and passionate. This is present in the 1:1 bust and also in the LSF. The body expression does this for him.

But this piece is dead.

Agree! looks looks like SS transfered from that "stone" look 1/6 scale tamplate/mold to 1/2 scale. GG version minibust looks vey better than this. Just like the Obi-Wan lsf is very better than the lsb. SS should have the same sculptor do both version.

But this piece is dead.

Maul had that face where he could almost have a blank expression, his face mostly neutral and everything he was feeling was shown through his eyes.

So unless they use an angry expression, it's a fine line between "calmly menacing" and "staring into space". And it seems a lot of his figures and busts fall on the latter side.

I agree.

Maul is somewhat twofold. This is a challenge to capture in a still life portrayal.

His menacing appearance is in stark contrast to his calm look when he is first introduced in the movies.

So a sculptor can choose to go in one of two directions. Try and capture this calm, but eery look.

Or to go with the more expressive and emotional appearance. The latter is probably the easiest for a sculptor.

Maul had that face where he could almost have a blank expression, his face mostly neutral and everything he was feeling was shown through his eyes.

So unless they use an angry expression, it's a fine line between "calmly menacing" and "staring into space". And it seems a lot of his figures and busts fall on the latter side.

Very well said. Maybe he's just thinking of some evil s@$t. Maybe he's just in the zone. Now I'm totally &$@!ing tortured and kinda want it again. Thanks

Looks great in the 360 view.
Ordered.
Can't shoot for the 1:1, and the GG busts are just too tiny. For the price, I'm getting this size, and can live with him 'posing for a photo' in my display.

The expression just doesn't capture the Maul I'd like to be reminded of everytime I look at him on my shelf.

Looks like he's thinking, "You have GOT to be kidding me!"

522209_10151181470934145_202557480_n.jpg

Back