Darth Malgus - Sideshow 1/6th Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Darth Malgus

The more I look at the pics, the more Malgus just doesn't seem Star Wars to me. He seems like a Hasbro Transformers mishmash design, the kind of hybrid that toy companies come up with. Vader's silhouette made gaudy and techy.

I really appreciate the detailing on the figure itself -- its a fantastic effort -- I'm mostly disturbed by the source itself. Like Jango to Boba, this is just another "version" of a Vader.

I guess it's the lack of originality that ultimately gets me.
Except Jango's cool. :lol

This guy reminds me of a MOTU character actually..

Like you said though - great figure / detailing etc.. but not my idea of SW at all.

Thanks for the info lerath666! Sounds kinda disappointing as I watch the in-game movie thing on youtube like ALLTHETIME! Guess I'll let that sway my buying choice.

I think his tailoring looks a bit blousy. :dunno

Protip, nobody who worked on the game had anything to do with those scene attics. It's bloom studio, or something like that. All they do is video game cgi.

World of Warcraft
Assassins creed
Star Wars
Battlefield
Etc.

All bloom studio.

DUDE, you're killing me! Say it aint so! No, I had no idea it was like that.
Well, I agree that the EU can sometimes be a bit fantastical, but this guy is badass, even if his design is a DIRECT reinterpretation of Vader...I mean they borrowed like E V E R Y T H I N G! Complete literal translation, etc., etc..

Thanks for the pics T.E.D. :hi5:

So now they're doing removable blades like Medicom instead of giving us an unlit and lit saber???

I am surprise that we go the pics already. SS usually release the pic on the following Tuesday. Is it right?

I am surprise that we go the pics already. SS usually release the pic on the following Tuesday. Is it right?

Yeah they usually go up on the Tuesday and sometimes the Hi-Res gallery isn't loaded until the Thursday.

Well technically the images haven't been released, I only found them because I was looking through some of the pictures of Malgus from Comic Con and one of the images had a little placard with the product code number on it. So I thought well I have the web address for the Hi-Res images and all you need to get to different products is the corresponding code so I just gave it a try and it turns out the photos had already been uploaded so I just thought I may as well share them.

Thanks for the info lerath666! Sounds kinda disappointing as I watch the in-game movie thing on youtube like ALLTHETIME! Guess I'll let that sway my buying choice.

I think his tailoring looks a bit blousy. :dunno

Thought so too! Seems like the PF does more justice.
The cloak was an important aspect of Malgus's design.

Looks too bulky and thick in this figure.

Well, I agree that the EU can sometimes be a bit fantastical, but this guy is badass, even if his design is a DIRECT reinterpretation of Vader...I mean they borrowed like E V E R Y T H I N G! Complete literal translation, etc., etc..

Its borrowed only for reverse engineering, everything in SWTOR takes place long before the movies, so the ships, characters, etc... look like older versions of the newer stuff. If anything this is what I like about the designs, its like someone complaining that Sherman tanks look too much like modern tanks (treads, camo and a big gun). :lol

But you're right, Malgus is still a badass character and this is an easy buy.

True it is. It's BLUR studio. had the name wrong. Take a look at their portfolio page. The Old Republic is on the second page.

https://vz3.blur.com/work

as for his saber, Much like the early Obi-wan teases, I'll wager it's not a removeable blade, but two sabers. the unlit hilt is just not pictured in any of the shots. Ep 1 Obi was the same way.

Beyond that, IF his cape is the same material as Obi's robe, then no worries. nice and thick, and drapes wonderfully.

Its borrowed only for reverse engineering, everything in SWTOR takes place long before the movies, so the ships, characters, etc... look like older versions of the newer stuff. If anything this is what I like about the designs, its like someone complaining that Sherman tanks look too much like modern tanks (treads, camo and a big gun). :lol

That's clear but very simplistic. I think it has more to do with cashing in a well-received designs rather than thinking carefully through the advancement process over time. Horse and buggies have nearly nothing in common with modern cars other than 4 wheels. If TOR is long before the movies, than the tank example is too short a reference. Mine's probably too favorable too. More like a chariot compared to a car.

I just think the reverse engineering thing isn't a good excuse, especially since Vader actually looks less techy than Malgus.

That's clear but very simplistic. I think it has more to do with cashing in a well-received designs rather than thinking carefully through the advancement process over time. Horse and buggies have nearly nothing in common with modern cars other than 4 wheels. If TOR is long before the movies, than the tank example is too short a reference. Mine's probably too favorable too. More like a chariot compared to a car.

I just think the reverse engineering thing isn't a good excuse, especially since Vader actually looks less techy than Malgus.

It's all moot since the SW universe has always been vague about technological advancements, if there were any.

If they've had this tech level for centuries, then you really have no idea what timeline percentage to timeline percentage would be, trying to guess is just futile and stupid, thats why I left mine as what it was, just an example.

And its a Star Wars game, of course they want the items to be similar for recognition, its not a hard concept. Star Wars is the selling point. If they were going to make it unrecognizable then they could just call it World of Warspace. :slap

I think the simple answer is best because it is what it is, some people are just trying to hard... and still failing.

If they've had this tech level for centuries, then you really have no idea what timeline percentage to timeline percentage would be, trying to guess is just futile and stupid, thats why I left mine as what it was, just an example.

And its a Star Wars game, of course they want the items to be similar for recognition, its not a hard concept. Star Wars is the selling point. If they were going to make it unrecognizable then they could just call it World of Warspace. :slap

I think the simple answer is best because it is what it is, some people are just trying to hard... and still failing.

Pretty much sums it up. Whiners are going to whine about Darth Vader rip off etc. regardless.

I was just addressing my thoughts on the design. It wasn't a personal attack, god forbid.

I was just addressing my thoughts on the design. It wasn't a personal attack, god forbid.

I was mainly addressing your timeline issue, since you quoted me in your...comment and wanted to overanalyze my example. :lol

Any opinions you have about Malgus I'll take as a joke considering your comments about Revan and Nihilus. :cuckoo:

3osrj1.jpg

:lol :1-1:

Back