Dark Souls 1 & 2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Dark Souls

I had some more time to get into it last night. I think I actually am enjoying it. Although at this rate it will take months to get through it.

Let me give you two immediate suggestions: in world 1-1 (Boletarian Palace), you will find two rings: cling and thief. Get them and make sure to actually put them on - unlike myself for hours...!

One will make you harder to be seen by enemies
the other will give you 75% health when in Phantom mode. (you will almost always been a Phantom)

I play dead and only when fighting a boss do I use the Ephemeral Eyes stone that you will start to find or get as you play. These are often hidden.

Also, make sure to use R3 and lock in on an enemy - combat is soo much easier, and I played for at least 10 hours before doing this. To make your character run, turn and move faster, look at the Euipment and Item Burden sections (middle column with all the stats). It has Eqp burden X/Y; if X is less 50% of B, your character is much faster.

Badmoon, you ever want to jump in and have help, lemme me know....I am a soul level 35 or so, so can help on the earlier levels

Last edited:

I spent countless hours on Demon's Souls, which I absolutely loved. Just beat it again recently, in fact.

Dark Souls is harder than ____. I don't think I'm that rusty or out of practice, but damn...I suppose being only 5 hours in and already past the first boss is an accomplishment, but it's just damn hard. In a good way. Only one cheap encounter so far, but that was more my own fault for not being more wary around a giant dragon.

I spent countless hours on Demon's Souls, which I absolutely loved. Just beat it again recently, in fact.

Dark Souls is harder than ____. I don't think I'm that rusty or out of practice, but damn...I suppose being only 5 hours in and already past the first boss is an accomplishment, but it's just damn hard. In a good way. Only one cheap encounter so far, but that was more my own fault for not being more wary around a giant dragon.

Hey Crow, just curious, what class do you start with? Ranged or Melee?

I went Melee and took me quite a while to get the option to use the heavy bow/arrow - lesson learned, that made it harder

Well as quickly as I could, I got the Soul Arrow spell and I just acquired a bow, though I'll need to up my DEX before I can use it properly. My main issue with the knight is he's just so damn slow, but once I get my VIT and STR up high enough I'm going to see how I can do with lighter armor.

I also need to get back in the Demon's Souls mindset and remember this isn't an 8-hour game, so progression isn't going to go quickly.

I wanna get Dark Souls or Demon Souls im undecided. I can only get one, which should i go for?

Thanks! I had a rough time last night after beating the first demon. I got frustrated and turned it off. :lol

Let me give you two immediate suggestions: in world 1-1 (Boletarian Palace), you will find two rings: cling and thief. Get them and make sure to actually put them on - unlike myself for hours...!

the other will give you 75% health when in Phantom mode. (you will almost always been a Phantom)

I play dead and only when fighting a boss do I use the Ephemeral Eyes stone that you will start to find or get as you play. These are often hidden.

Also, make sure to use R3 and lock in on an enemy - combat is soo much easier, and I played for at least 10 hours before doing this. To make your character run, turn and move faster, look at the Euipment and Item Burden sections (middle column with all the stats). It has Eqp burden X/Y; if X is less 50% of B, your character is much faster.

Badmoon, you ever want to jump in and have help, lemme me know....I am a soul level 35 or so, so can help on the earlier levels

I wanna get Dark Souls or Demon Souls im undecided. I can only get one, which should i go for?

Dark Souls, especially if you're going to play online. It's also more refined and perfected than Demon's Souls is. However, if you're not sure about whether the game is for you or not, Demon's Souls is a lot cheaper and is a good primer for Dark Souls.

Finally found the rings! :rock

There are actual checkpoints in Dark Souls?

The bonfires in the game act as your checkpoints... so to speak and your respawn area when you are killed. Also that is where you can level up your character and use your collected souls and humanity. So not only are your trying to survive and travel through the world you might always be looking for the next bonfire to activate as well.

On demon souls, if I cash in the actual bosses soul am I supposed to? Or should you save them?

In Demon's Soul's the boss Soul's are either for cashing in OR you can use them to forge a forge weapons. I don't remember the specifics on what weapons but I know that's what they were used for.

So far I'm not enjoying Dark Soul's the way I did Demon's Soul's, I know the game is slow progressing but it just feels like I'm going no where and very slowly at that. I really can't stand the firebombs the enemies love throwing at me.

Finally started making some progress last night, killed the Bell Gargoyles and rang the first bell, followed by the Capra Demon, who killed me like 3 times before I got him down. LOVING it. More than Demon's Souls even, because of the bonfire system and simply because it seems to flow better. Game of the year for me so far.

I never played the first game, can i just skip it and try this one out since there is no real story?

Back