CUSTOMIZINGS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: CUSTOMIZINGS Indy, Solo, Drake, Bond etc.‏

Damn fine work!!! Both Indy and Solo look incredible :rock :rock :rock

SwedishHeat: Thanks for the resin tips, I'm still contemplating whether to cast them myself or get a caster, as the materials are quite costly if anything went wrong.
I opened my mold yesterday and it was rock solid! I'm sure I put the right amount of hardener, though maybe it was too much. Very tough to open and had to split the entire top head and under the jaw and chin to get the master out. Will make a test cast anyway, though I don't think that silicone is great for the type of mold I was making, as well as the box shape as not only does that shape waste silicone it also makes it difficult to open.
As for the resin cast I'm going to try this tomorrow, outside as it sounds like pretty nasty stuff to breath in.Will post the results up.

Rogerbee: Cheers, yeah Blade Runner has some good close ups.I'll be going back to those when I turn him to Deckard ;)

GOB:Thanks man. I'd probably get a caster who has his own vac chamber as I wouldn't use it that much. I still managed to get a few air bubbles in my mold, though only in the crevis areas like the nostil holes and mouth corner. I was thinking of maybe painting in the silicone in those tight areas before pouring it in. Smooth on is tough to find in the UK and also very pricey. I might have one more go at mold making and casting as the one I just did was more a trial run for me.

galactiboy: Thanks man! :)

If you google 'resin casters uk' quite a few come up, you'll just have to see who meets your needs.

Hi,for my own experience,casting the hat attached to head is complicated,but if can do it,i'm for indy and solo,but i would prefer a different expression for solo,just to not looking the same...maybe smirking,it matches wth the character..just suggestion

I'll probably have a full head with hair underneath for re-positioning of the hat. I couldn't even imagine casting them together :D

So I did my very first casting yesterday. All looked good, a few air bubbles on the lip and inside nostrils but everything else really nice and smooth. Wrinkle and pore detail retained even though it's tricky to see as white resin doesn't photograph very well. The resin is great! Has a nice heavy plastic feel to it.

The one major setback was the head is way too narrow! The silicone mold came out too stiff, possibly due to too much hardener. I left it wedged open over night to dry as I rinsed out bits of silicone that fell in. Unfortunately the molds shape set that way so I had to clamp it shut. I think I must have clamped it too tight which is why the head is squashed.
Good experience though. If I was to do this again I would use a two part silicone rather than a hardener silicone and make the mould in a plastic cup so it is round shape and more flexible. I would also paint a layer of silicone on the face to ensure no air bubbles. Otherwise a two part mold could work.

casting.jpg

Not bad,

You can see what we meant now about mould shrinkage. Your head looks to have done exactly what the WGP one did. I would either have a few more gos yourself or consider getting a pro to do it.

Oh no, re-read the post. This was more 'squashage' ;)

There was, but it has also shrunk a bit. Compare the ears. You'll get there.

what an exciting thread!!! you have my admiration and support!!! Loved what I saw in the Indy thread... and much more so now!

you might just be our best hope for the best Indy!!

Thanks rhboyd :) it's a real challenging likeness as most people know. I've been tweaking this on and off for a while now and it still looks a bit off to me.

Rogerbee: I measured the ears and there does seem to be about 1/4 of a mm of shrinkage.

The head was sized to fit the DID tuxedo, though I actually want to shrink this head down about 5% for it to fit the Very Cool tux. I bought some Smooth-On Mold Max 3 today, so hoping to try and make a shrink mold with mineral spirits. Hopefully not another wasted mold as this stuff is pretty pricey. Will try and document my progress. What do folks here think of the Mold Max silicone? Feel free to leave more tips and tricks here :)

DC_shrink.jpg

Thanks rhboyd :) it's a real challenging likeness as most people know. I've been tweaking this on and off for a while now and it still looks a bit off to me.

I think in his raiders look, he is one of the toughest, but I really feel that you have the eye and the skills necessary to bring him to life. your technical know-how about the pitfalls of the digital sculpt world, make you the one to give hope to all of us Indy fans who are desperate for a really GOOD INDY!!!

If you cast Indy, you have a for sure sale from me. :horror

'SULLLY!!' :D

So I'm taking a break from Indy and back on Drake. Want to wrap up the head and start the hair.

drake2.jpg

Did u runs a second cast threw your molds? Most likely u are getting the bubbles from not pressure casting. If u are degassing your silicone u should not need to brush on a layer.

And wow your solo and indie are amazing if u need help casting those just let me know! I just got Kato Indie out fit and your head is indeed the best id liek to see everyone get there hands on that! That Solo is definitly the bee's knee's!

As much as I love my Rahmier modded Drake sculpt, that right there is perfect. Really hope you offer this!

Back