Custom Tatooine Cantina

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's fun to do but it's hot outside lol I sweat up a storm after 10min of work. I live just north of Tampa, Florida.

I want to do the lights but I'm leaning toward just an LED RGB strip overhead and I can go green or blue or mix red and blue. I don't have a dim function though so I may see if using black water paint dims them down since they have the clear rubber water proof over them or maybe do nothing.

If I do the LEDs I don't have to use lights for the 2 behind Greedo.

The light next to the window are not something I can make. Maybe if I had great pix. Even still I'd had to search for parts.

So seeing this in better light I can tell I'll need to sand a few areas carefully. I also need to fix a few gaps you can see between the front 2 pieces of wood. Not a big problem though.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

So there will be a delay in this project. The reason is because I cut the wood pieces you see on the inside to mount the brown trim but due to fitment issues I turned them so they face up so now they poke above the trim pieces. If you look in the photo you'll kind of see it but.....

I'm actually going to improve the look because I'm going to fill it with caulk and blend it into the curve of the roof piece. Then I'll mount the trim where it goes and the wall will lend as it should anyway.

My only concern is the long term stability of the caulk. It claims like 30 years so being that it's inside in AC I shouldn't have issues.

I also noted earlier to paint it so I can get a good gauge on the texture. Sanding it after painting has really brought out the real look. I will still be repainting it but I now have a real good view of the texture in all areas. Later today I'll go inside and flatten some spots and leave some textured as it should be. I know I can't be the first to use caulk but it was a cheap way to get the right look.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Ok fixed. Sand this later and it's ready for final paint then trim and window. Gotta drill for wires later.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Let's add one more use for Krud Kutter on the bottle!

Put the window on. Gotta get a chair to make sure I put the trim in the exact spot lol

Window has a touch of caulk on it to give it that authentic look

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Ok I'm pretty much done now. I will do some wiring and prolly frost the back window. I may also re glue the trim. Yo can't see maybe in the of but I used the brown/tan caulk to dirty up the trim. Well hope you like it. I'll post pix next time when it's installed. May look great in green lighting.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I am considering possibly sanding a few areas flatter. I have to say it really looks far to shinny of a finish mostly in the photos with the flash and it's not gloss paint.

I do think it looks far better in person. It truly looks like it's a piece from the film. The text is tough mostly because there is no real photos of it except a few behind Han which do show up in this piece. I'm happy but not sure if the texture is not smooth enough or do the short walls have issues. Yeesh I should of hooked up the airbrush lol.

One paint I have is too dark and one is too light and then there is the fact that in the film it's dingy inside and there's no true color to copy.

Think I'm going to pull down the trim and add 1/2 another strip as it seems to short from top to bottom.

Looking at a screenshot just now I really think my texture is pretty decent.

Nice job, its looking good!

As for the shine, you can pick up a can of matte varnish and spray on a coat or two.
Are you not going to add the red/blue stripe design around the arch?
Too late now, but plaster or filler putty is an excellent material for this type of project to give an accurate texture finish and is easily sanded and touched up. Keep that in mind for your next diorama. Caulk is good for sealing joints though.

Fun fact = watching the scene again to get a screencap of the design for you I noticed for the first time that Chewie draws his bowcaster during Obiwan's hack everyone up fun time. I never noticed that before! :)

It's not too late to do the red and blue I just don't know if I want it personally.

I looked into a few choices for texture but went with caulk because I felt it was easier. I may make another one later on.

It's definitely not shiny in person really. If you look in the non flash photos it's flat. The paint is not gloss I think it's just the flash.

I have a list of things that would make this far easier now that I finished it basically. For one I'd use nuts and bolts to fasten the curved ceiling in front of the side walls then caulk to hide the seam. I'd use 1" wood on the front for a single piece. If also cut and bevel the back window from 1" wood.

This one is a good piece but if I ever do a 2nd it will be better for sure but I'm not going to say this is not a good piece. You never know I may do one soon or never lol I have other things to make now. One thing it that it's not made to stand alone as it fits my shelf.

Here's a few pix in its home in the shelf. No lighting or red and blue stripes still. I am considering going to the store for 1" wood as I write this.

image.jpgimage.jpg

I came up with these for the light on my new Cantina build that is starting tomorrow. Maybe they aren't exact but they are not bad. Found all the parts at Home Depot. Can anyone guess all they are made from?
image.jpg

I am making a new Cantina since I recut the front piece to be closer to being correct by looking at where the chair sits. I can install the lights, bevel the rear window better and possibly do the red and blue design.

I will probably stick with the caulk for texture. It's just a fast simple way.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

dang.. it really looks like a HUGE project !!! keep going!

Very nice work I'm kinda doing the something just a little smaller so if fits in to a ikea Detolf glass cabinet

If you have a thread post it.

I just started a new one. I'll see about selling this first one when its done.

I chiseled and sanded the window. It looks good and is as close as it needs to be since it gets textured later.image.jpgimage.jpg

Back