Custom Tatooine Cantina

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phastroh

Super Freak
Reaction score
So I'm wrapping up my Darth Vader PF Shelf which is one of the bottom links.

I already had this planned in my head so tonight I took the first step towards completing it. I considered the sideshow one but in my opinion it doesn't look like the one in the movie. Maybe partly but either way I think this will come out better for my needs and as with Vaders shelf it's being built to fit.

Here's some photos showing my start. I'm considering cutting a full 2nd piece so it's thicker but I don't really want the set pushed back much further as it sits about 6' in the air. I considered only thickening to where it curves but I haven't decided. I'm most likely gonna double the front piece.

Once they are done I'll liquid nail them, get some filler to hide only the seem on the inside. Once done I'll look into putting the correct finish on it.

The back wall of course will be done and I'll use plexi for the window. I have white flexible material for the ceiling. I have LEDs if I decide to put in those red and green or whatever color they are in the background.

So basically I have a way to include most if not all details but it's possible I could leave stuff out on purpose.

Once I get the back wall cut and second curved piece I'll measure the depth and build it outside the shelf. Like my Vader shelf it will slide in but unlike it it won't have as many light strips getting in the way.

I'm hoping to have all the pieces cut by tomorrow and one thing I just thought of is nail gunning it all together and then gluing the front piece on hiding the nails lol I probably would have done that anyway but good thing it popped into my head now.

Thanks for reading and if you follow this build too.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Love what you've done , love the unit you've used ( is it scratch built ? ) seems perfect for the job.
Think the addition of music system speakers in the top corners is excellent (lol)........... oops sorry they're the brackets holding it to the wall (lmao)

Keep it going , would love to see more dios in that unit type

It's not scratch built. I originally bought it for my 1/6 scale figures so it was to be standing up but I realized I made a mistake. I then bought 2 Billy's with glass shelves and the 2 large PAX for my newly forming PF collection.

You won't see the back in any of those shelves when it's all done.

This is an old pic but this is the basic layout. I have built a custom Vader piece and will do the same for my speeder and the left side will get something done. No shelf will be plain.

image.jpg

Nice room. That's what sucks about living in hawaii...no space, costs a fortune to build out. We're adding two rooms and a bath, hallway on top of our house and we could buy a 4 bedroom house in the mainland for that much.

So here's an update from today. I got it done as far as the building is except I have not put on the front panel. Gotta pick up some liquid nails plus it's still clamped although I Un-clamped it for photos. Just note the front panel to be glue in is a better straight cut.

I left myself room for wires in the back. I still have to cut the square window. I prolly should of cut it earlier but I still can now.

Look this thing is not to exact scale I'm sure but it's about the right size. I just looked at pix and said this is close. While I'm getting glue I'll see what I can get to do the 4-5 tube looking stuff that crosses the wall and I may as well google how to texture the walls close to what they should be. I don't have to really if it is a huge project. I'll just fill the seems, sand and spray.

I'll look at more pix tonight and see if I'm gonna bother with any other details.

Thanks lol I don't actually have a Greedo just not paying $200-$300. I have a SS Han EX still sealed for now.

Gotta drink the dew!

So I did a bit more after fitting it. Additionally I'm going to sand off a hair or two as when you cut 2 sides exact it can be a bit of a wiggle going in and not fun.

I was concerned how I would do that brown looking trim piece but I found this stuff if the miniature house section and stained it. It looks like a red/brown color and honestly I can't tell if it's wood but either way the closest I can come with it was what you see in the photo. I considered what to do for the back wall since in the movie it's one curved piece from the floor but for mine I used the board and a piece from behind a console for the curved part. I didn't want to use flimsy material because it needs paint and I'm considering caulk to give some texture. I don't know if it needs these details, I do have textured sand colored paint.

Ok here's the pix I took of the pre and post stained trim for across the back.

I can recreate the light so I'll just have a back window with no lights on the right side and prolly no lights on the right side wall.

So I hit it with one coat of rust oleum stone textured finish. It did exactly as I expected and so I didn't let it dry and rubbed it with sandpaper. It smeared it as I wanted. Now I'll do the final sealing but I forgot to get almond colored sealant. It will hid the cracks and so on and maybe I'll see if there's a tiny can of stucco. I saw this stuff yesterday but was too chicken to try it but maybe I will.

I was looking for a secondary color to match the variance in the building but I can't tell what it is.

So here it sits for now.

Cutting back window now. The wood pieces on the inside you see are to mount the brown trim later.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

So I cut the window and plexi for it. It has a bevel to it on the inside but chances are I won't do that. That's a lot of filing but I'll see. Not likely and the wood is not thick enough for it to be accurate but I guess a little may look ok.

Seeing how the stone paint comes off and most likely will remain pliable for some time makes me wish I use a first coats spray but I'll still see about getting a small containers of stucco or this quick patch stuff I saw. I considered using my popcorn stay and over spraying it the using my sponge brush.

It's all up in the air as of now.

So since my earlier post a few things have changed.

1) I beveled the window but only slightly.
2) I used white caulk to do my texture. As you should see in the photo it does look ok although the texture is not identical to the movie it's as good as I can do it.

I will paint it with 2 different colors and well that's as close as I can make it. I'll paint it tomorrow.

I may sand some areas to lessen the texture a bit.bi really feel like that and the paint will fill in some areas and it should look good.

I actually have no idea why I even make this stuff. I am no professional but I feel like I can do these things lol too bad I can make the lights or maybe I'm being lazy. Better photos would be great.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 47
So I sanded it while the caulk was not cured fully on purpose. It made it roll up easy and it was like a bunch of rolled up rubbery pieces. The big glat areas sanded flat quick. Basically this was better than waiting for it fully hardened. I gave me the ability to use my hand on areas. So I thought screw it I'll throw paint on it and see it in the morning and be able to go back and sand if I feel it needs it easier since white is hard to see.

Of course the window and trim are last. I got 2 close color paints but at near night outside and even under my garage lights it's tonight to see. My work lights are not yet up.

What a fun project. You're really putting you're heart into it. It's looking so great and properly scaled. I'm looking forward to watching your progress.

Back