Custom figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeatleJohn

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi im new to figure collecting and the forum also. Im interested in a few custom figures that are being made on here and i was just wondering are they worth anything compared to the Hot Toys or Enterbay ect? Im not into this for making money or anything i just plan on collecting figures that i love and want to display. It doesnt matter to me either way i was just curious if these custom figures made available through here have any value in the long term?

Some customs cost stupid money and fetch stupid money.

How much they appreciate in value is hit and miss depending on the figure in question and what people are looking out for years later - pretty much the same deal when buying Hot Toys and Enterbay figures.

It really depends the value YOU see in them and what they're worth in your eyes. Obviously, in terms of quality, some items, like rainman or iminime works, are much better than hot toys, but limited in quantity and thus price is higher.

Licensed figures can retain value depending on how many were made. The production numbers are known and a fairly accurate determination of value can be determined. Custom figures are a lot more sketchy. They are unlicensed so often actual production numbers are unknown and/or lied about. A figure can be in high demand, but if another customizer does a higher quality version the original can decrease in value. It boils down to the value only being measured by what you are willing to buy or sell for. Buy what you like. Flipping is a tricky business and those who are successful at it aren't usually willing to share thier secrets to doing it successfully.

Great thanks for the answers guys. Its pretty much what i thought. I love some of the customs on here. They look amazing.

While on the expensive side, limited edition hand crafted figs by Rainman, Serang, Velvet Morning, etc.. cost a pretty penny, but most of them retain, if not go up in value. With HT, the prices tend to drop on some of their figures because they've recently begun to release new versions and variants of older figures.

As previously stated, there are a few customs made by certain artists that seem to go up in value (Rainman, Serang, etc...). There are also some customs that are just pieced together by board members that can fetch a pretty penny as well (depending on what items are used such as head sculpts, type of clothing/accessories). Some hot toys/enterbay figures still carry a decent value but I remember when the HT Iron Man mark I was going for $400+ at one point but since it has been reissued (with better quality), the originals are not carrying as high of a value. Then there are figures like the HT Harvey Dent/Two Face. I got one when they originally came out and then got a second one in like-new condition for $100 a year after it came out. Now people are asking $300+ for it. Just dont think about the prices of your figures. It just helps in enjoying them. I will say there is a certain amount of satisfaction and happiness you will feel when you walk by a shelf with custom figures on it. Just knowing you may be one of only a handful of people who have one worldwide as well as the character being a favorite (i hope your customs are favorites as the prices for customs tend to be high in the first place) should provide a good happy feeling for ya. God knows I crack a huge smile whenever I glance at my Rainman Dude or PeeWee or my custom Wormwood Gentleman Corpse figure. Good luck with your collecting and welcome to the community.

Just remember, whenever you decide to get a custom, whether you put it together or its done by someone else, make sure you get EvilFace or Corrose to do a custom stand decal for ya. It adds so much to it all.

Great advice everyone and thanks so much.

Im keen on getting a Rick Grimes from the walking dead.. and so it seems so many others want him around this forum as well!

The only figure i have at the moment is a bruce willis "tears of the sun" figure from art figures. Its one of my favourite movies and i love the figure. Im also looking forward to getting a bruce willis die hard.

My favourite movie is top gun so im also looking around for a tom cruise maverick figure. I know there is one on ebay that ive seen and im thinking of getting it. Just wish i could find one in his flight suit and helmet!

Back