Current discount codes at SSC

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, much better post than mine. I'm curious, is there anyone left here that has followed every spook since 2004?
I think I have followed since 08. I know for sure since at least 09, because somehow i managed to hang onto the Spooktacular Readiness Kit boxes that Sideshow used to sell. And those were in 2009 and 2010. They were awesome! Coffee mugs, aprons, masks, and even an amazing hoodie jacket that I have hanging by the door right now. (No other piece of Sideshow apparel has been as well designed. Ever.) And each kit was around $50.

It's sad to see what it has become. The scavenger hunts were great, where you actually had to work and hunt for prizes; checking product descriptions for code words and donning the decoder glasses to see clues. Then there was Criswell the psychic (does anyone know who that guy was?), Mort, Mistress of the Web and lots of other little side shows to be entertained with. I didn't realize how cool Sideshow had been at the time until earlier this month when I sat down to watch Plan 9 from Outer Space. The introduction to the movie is a premonition from a medium named Criswell, in the same attire as the man who's noggin used to float around Sideshows site during Spook. It was a sudden mixture of excitement and remorse.

Just like the previous fella speculated, I've long wondered if they went through a change of management, because now there's a significant disconnect between them and their customers. I've invested next to no time in Spook this year, and I feel it's the same for Sideshow. Each year has been a decline, and this year is by far the worst. I at least slept on the couch last Spook so I wouldn't miss anything, this go round I don't care. There's been no incentive.

It definitely used to be something amazing and fun but the past couple of years it's gone down hill, with this year being the least fun. I loved the scavenger hunts and forgot all about the psychic! That was a lot of fun too. It just feels super boring and so focused on social media that there aren't any fun activities left. Way too many lives. Having, what, 3-4 a day? It's ridiculous. The only fan interaction I've seen are people trying for those 5 extra entries in their online contests. I bet you the ones that did it right, according to SS, won't even win anyway.

I remember getting a Gollum PF from when they'd set an item to 5 or so quantity in stock, and then somehow get the word out it was free. If you were lucky enough to get there fast enough, you could get it without all the social media contest luck of the draw crap. I also got something when they'd ask you to write a poem or something like that, and then pick their favorites at 2AM. That is when sleep was for the weak.

Thanks, much better post than mine. I'm curious, is there anyone left here that has followed every spook since 2004?

My first Spook was 2005, I think. The one thing that's been consistent for every Spooktacular that I've participated in is the complaining about how the previous years were better. But I didn't think Spook really lost its luster until Sideshow went all in on social media (I don't recall exactly what year that was). Once that happened, the entire tone of the event changed from an online Halloween celebration with internet friends to just another "like, share, and smash that subscribe button" thing.

I miss the irc chat, I miss being glued to my computer and phone all day and all night trying to score that sweet discount or prize, I miss the unique contests and scavenger hunts, I miss learning about past Sideshow products, I miss harassing the web guy (I'm really sorry that I can't recall his name), I miss blowing a sizable gift card prize on an Edward Cullen doll and seeing everybody in chat explode. I miss all of it, and that's why I come back here every year, poke in to see what's new, say hi to some of the other old timers, and the pop back out.

When I first participated in Spook around 2009 it struck me as something they did to give back to their customers, and a celebration. SSC didn't prioritize getting anything back themselves such as subscribers and sales. It was a genuine customer appreciation event with giveaways and specific product releases aimed at fulfilling stuff collectors have been asking for. Today, it's a marketing event. Social media allowed them to start reaching a larger audience, and the focus became on promotion and sales as it grew too large to remain an intimate event between collectors and SSC staff. You all recall over the final 3 or so years when SSC would still pop in over here for a contest or two, how that time grew shorter each year? Spook simply got too big, and they couldn't find the time to connect and celebrate with collectors, leaving nothing but marketing and self-promotion behind.

Thanks

Woo hoo, Spook is back!

tenor.gif

Back