Court of the Dead

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this video is actually quite good and you can see the head damage better and I do think it makes more sense...seeing the tighter shot....but from a distance it still reads kind of weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNpsBylTlqU

god watching this video...I have to say....Sideshow has just done a mind numbingly great job on these...my "criticisms" above are just to get some discussions going on...so I just want to make it clear up front....I wouldn't be this obsessed with these things if I didn't think they were that great....
man each one is just so cool and although maybe not every single one would be something I'd buy....they all are amazing..

check out that video...I know there's a few online but that one has some GREAT tight shots on things.

My issue with this line is their production (timelines not even considered). Any company can make a fantastic one of a kind proto. The issue is manufacturing it. It's the same in any business. I develop test kits. I can make the most amazing kit in R&D, but if manufacturing can't reproduce it, then it's crap.

I hesitated on this line. I finally broke down and got Queen of the Dead. She had all sorts of problems, and went back to SS. It's tough to get hyped on a line that is not looking great. Still waiting on GOOD Siren photos....

My issue with this line is their production (timelines not even considered). Any company can make a fantastic one of a kind proto. The issue is manufacturing it. It's the same in any business. I develop test kits. I can make the most amazing kit in R&D, but if manufacturing can't reproduce it, then it's crap.

I hesitated on this line. I finally broke down and got Queen of the Dead. She had all sorts of problems, and went back to SS. It's tough to get hyped on a line that is not looking great. Still waiting on GOOD Siren photos....

totally understand.

my first experience was the Batman Premium Format exclusive (and I worked for DC comics on Batman the Dark Knight comic at the time)

I called sideshow and expressed my disappointment in the delays actually on that...it was I think 16 months late...don't quote me on that....my statue was fine and didn't seem to have the issues some of the others had.....but past that it was a very awkward first introduction into the world of release dates regarding these pieces...I also didn't fully understand that what I was seeing at San Diego comic con...were like their top artists doing the prototypes and the rest of the released pieces...wouldn't be to that standard.

so it was interesting for me learning how this all goes down.

Here ya go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0LHPmX-y-w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_FWUtGyES0

It's a good sculpt but too unoriginal as a concept. One thing I liked about this line is the creativity in most of the pieces. This is just plain flat dark fantasy female warrior, I'd really like to see on preorder (and then delivered) the stuff we saw nearly three years ago.

It's a good sculpt but too unoriginal as a concept. One thing I liked about this line is the creativity in most of the pieces. This is just plain flat dark fantasy female warrior, I'd really like to see on preorder (and then delivered) the stuff we saw nearly three years ago.
This is exactly how I feel about the statue. She is a testament to her character, in that she is mortal. From a design standpoint she would be less "interesting" than the denizens of the Underworld. From this perspective, I'm fine with how she is being portrayed, albeit less impactful compared to the others.

I can only conclude as to why she is being released before more prominent members of the Court, is she is easier to produce, and she may play an integral role to the story. She was recently featured in Heavy Metal, and might be the central character to the on-going comic book.

That and probably to have yet another female character for easy marketing. Most of the line was shown back in 2013 at SDCC, prototypes looked pretty much ready and even if we know some of them went through changes (like Death) it's hard to believe that they could come up with a brand new Shard before most of those shown back then.
Just to mention, Shieve is mostly covered in cloth and yet last time I asked (months ago) I was told that preorder was expected late this year, possibly 2017, IF it ever happens. Mortighull was pretty much ready and yet they decided to pull his younger version. Dunno, I can't really like the direction they're headed to, in any possible sense (characters selection, production times, prices, edition sizes).

Notable frustrations, Mule. I don't have any counter to quell them. I too am perplexed with some of their decisions. I can only imagine that building a vibrant and complex world as what they seem to be doing, is a massive undertaking and one that lends itself to a lot of revisions as it all comes together. I'm hoping that in the end it all does mesh and is clear and concise, not to mention good.

No complaints on these pieces so far (the concepts at least). I have ordered the book as I think SS and the CotD team have started a really good and strong concept line which may take off well in several formats. Spawn was an 'out there' concept as far as anti-hero themed in the realms of Heaven and Hell and he hasn't done too bad!

The only thing I am struggling with is that I wanted to tie these characters in to the realms of R.E Howard as companion pieces but Shard may be too much of a Templar Knight to fit. Or I may be fully dragged down to this realm of Death and keep them pure CotD!! :panic:

Back